Author Topic: Interesting gun up for auction on gunbroker  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Interesting gun up for auction on gunbroker
« on: February 07, 2024, 12:21:31 PM »
The gun that killed Crazy Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Interesting gun up for auction on gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 12:39:47 PM »
Looks like he was lucky he was not killed!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horse
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 11:53:03 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 02:32:27 PM »
Im on gun broker daily and yes I have and will buy Firearms on GunBroker buyer be very cautious on this type of sale on gun broker .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 06:27:06 PM »
The gun is worth 10 bucks, the story is worth nothing.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 06:29:59 PM »
I'll make you one that's indistinguishable for 1/10 of the asking price, and I'll come up with a really good story as well!  8)
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 07:16:39 PM »
The seller probably isn't lying.  That old relic probably put down a horse that went crazy from Rabies or some other affliction.  LOL 
Joel Hall

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 07:32:21 PM »

C'mon Mike, tell us what you really think.   ;D

A small gunshop local to me has a slightly longer relic (read POS) like that hanging on the wall.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 07:41:25 PM by Dobyns »

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 07:37:01 PM »
The only thing missing is the notarized Certificate of Authenticity.  Hang on a moment...I'll get one off the interwebs right now.

Online Dave Marsh

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 08:01:31 PM »
By no means am I saying that the Gunbroker gun is authentic however I looked up Crazy Horse on Wikipedia and this is a cut and paste from the article.  Not sure how reliable anything is on the internet but here is what it says. 

Controversy over Black Buffalo Woman
In the fall of 1870, Crazy Horse invited Black Buffalo Woman to accompany him on a buffalo hunt in the Slim Buttes area of present-day northwestern South Dakota.[25] She was the wife of No Water, who had a reputation for drinking too much.[9] It was the Lakota's custom to allow a woman to divorce her husband at any time. She did so by moving in with relatives or with another man, or by placing the husband's belongings outside their lodge. Although some compensation might be required to smooth over hurt feelings, the rejected husband was expected to accept his wife's decision. No Water was away from camp when Crazy Horse and Black Buffalo Woman left for the buffalo hunt.

No Water tracked down Crazy Horse and Black Buffalo Woman in the Slim Buttes area. When he found them in a teepee, he called Crazy Horse's name from outside. When Crazy Horse answered, No Water stuck a pistol into the teepee and aimed for Crazy Horse. Touch the Clouds, Crazy Horse's first cousin and son of Lone Horn, was sitting in the teepee nearest the entry. He knocked the pistol upward as No Water fired, deflecting the bullet to Crazy Horse's upper jaw. No Water left, with Crazy Horse's relatives in hot pursuit. No Water ran his horse until it died and continued on foot until he reached the safety of his own village.[17]

Several elders convinced Crazy Horse and No Water that no more blood should be shed. As compensation for the shooting, No Water gave Crazy Horse three horses. Because Crazy Horse was with a married woman, he was stripped of his title as Shirt Wearer (leader).[9]
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 11:22:48 PM »
Dang, I'd hate to go the rest of my life without wearing a shirt. Think of the sunburn. :o
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 01:43:11 AM »
At least the debate isn't over the fact the gun was once a flintlock...

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 04:47:02 PM »
Mike is right again but it is a weird looking thing.
Bob Roller

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 06:34:17 PM »
I read the rather lengthy description, expecting to see that Wendell Grangaard had authenticated the story from the Togia inscriptions on the stock. ::)
Tom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 04:18:21 AM »
Togia...I just learned about this BS  last year. You might say I'm a skeptic. ;)

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 12:09:19 AM »
Wendall Grangaard invented the existence of a secret previously unknown native american language then called it Togia. Next he wrote a book about it and now he makes a tidy living selling garbage guns he has scratched with his made up language. It would be funny except that he is a con artist
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:17:37 AM by Taylorz1 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2024, 12:34:58 AM »
Wendall Grangaard invented the existence of a secret previously unknown native american language then called it Togia. Next he wrote a book about it and now he makes a tidy living selling garbage guns he has scratched with his made up language. It would be funny except that he is a con artist
I know guys that are all in on this stuff and have been shown the scratching....Looks just like all the other scratches and dents to me.

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2024, 07:27:32 AM »
Yup its crazy how this Togia nonsense has taken some people. There have been some obviously fake BS Togia guns that have sold for tens of thousands of dollars. There was a recent auction with a lot of his guns “guns of history” I think the auction was titled. Bunch of fabricated BS histories about how the scratches show that this gun was owned by Iron Eagle and was given to Running  Moon etc etc. interestingly the auction “guaranteed” the guns to be authentic but the actual guarantor of the auction was the C-corp created by Wendall that published the nonsense book on Togia not the auction house so the guarantee comes from a house of straw.

Offline spgordon

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2024, 04:44:09 PM »
What is the book that Wendell Grangaard wrote about this Togia language? I love to read about these sorts of scams/inventions--and often use these sorts of examples in class.
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2024, 05:49:17 PM »
https://www.agmuseumstore.com/documenting-the-weapons-used-at-the-little-bighorn.html

Looks like the auction was “guns of history” and pulled down all their lot descriptions etc

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 06:59:22 PM »
   The old saying is " A fool an his money will soon part "
   But I'd go $15.00 on it....lol

Offline ScottC60

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 12:47:32 AM »
Perhaps there were two natives named Crazy Horse? 

The famous one here in Nebraska/South Dakota was killed at Fort Robinson in western Nebraska:

Crazy Horse (Lakota: Tȟašúŋke Witkó, literally 'His-Horse-Is-Crazy'); c. 1840 – September 5, 1877) was a Lakota war leader of the Oglala band in the 19th century. He took up arms against the United States federal government to fight against encroachment by white American settlers on Native American territory and to preserve the traditional way of life of the Lakota people. His participation in several famous battles of the Black Hills War on the northern Great Plains, among them the Fetterman Fight in 1866, in which he acted as a decoy, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, in which he led a war party to victory, earned him great respect from both his enemies and his own people.

In September 1877, four months after surrendering to U.S. troops under General George Crook, Crazy Horse was fatally wounded by a bayonet-wielding military guard while allegedly resisting the guards' instructions.  The Lakota came for his body and his burial location is a secret still to this day.