Author Topic: Restore a original smoothbore long gun  (Read 2166 times)

Offline runastav

Restore a original smoothbore long gun
« on: December 30, 2023, 04:53:51 PM »
Hi all!
This gun needs repear,  very old barrel half oqtangonal and so over to round with band. Barrel is from a flintlock musket , and same is the lock converted from flintlock to percussion.This gun (Scandinavien) is mounted by a gunsmith not a barn blacksmith ;)
Barrel l, 34-1/2"  and cal ca 77 (19,7mm)  I like the lines of the hole gun so we see!
Runar

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Restore a original smoothbore long gun
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 05:09:13 PM »
Will look forward to your efforts Runar. Its always fun watching your repair and fabrication work.  👍

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 01:28:07 AM »
I don’t doubt the barrel on this gun was originally a flintlock. But, with only one lock screw I doubt the lock ever saw service as a flintlock. It may have originally been made as a flintlock, but I think it got converted before it ever saw service.
 I love the size and shape of this gun, my first tradegun had a 30” barrel, and it was the handiest little flintlock fowler I’ve ever shot.

Hungry Horse

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 02:22:48 PM »
Happy New Year Runar!
I like this Scandinavian Jaeger. It is a hunters gun. No frills but sturdy. Not a lot of drop at the heel, should make it somewhat pleasant to shoot.
Is the stock wood Beech? Look forward to your restoration.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline runastav

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 06:03:16 PM »
Hi all! And thank you guys! Hungry Horse( Svoltne Hest) If you are sharpsighted ;)you see on this closeup photos rest of the flashpan and plugged screws for frizzen spring etc! The back of the lockplate is rounded from the tail so defintiv a conversion flintlock!We think the front lockscrew is plugged to ;) alacran, think it is Birch.The barrel have typikal militery markings so happy new blackpowder year to you all!
Runar

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 06:25:30 PM »
What Hungry Horse is saying is that the lock was originally a flintlock, but was never a flint lock on this rifle. The lock had been converted to percussion before being installed on this rifle. So this rifle was never a flintlock rifle.
I agree with that. For one, there is no cut out relief on the stock, behind the breech, for flintlock cock clearance. This gun has always been a percussion as far as I can see. That is how the American guns are made. Maybe the Euro guns are made differently.
Of course, it is yours to do with as you want......
John
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 07:25:59 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline runastav

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 02:58:28 PM »
Hi all, and thank you JTR! I like the stock, 2-1/2" drop on heel and LOP 14"  ;) Missing mainspring, I find a replika cast one and it seams to work fine. New sear made.
Runar

Offline Hawkeye2

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 08:33:40 PM »
A fine looking gun.  Personally I would not attempt any restoration beyond a light cleaning and anything necessary to make it a safe and reliable shooter.  Love the patina.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 05:49:26 AM »
No offence intended, but that main spring is not the correct type.
The correct spring would be one similar to these, with a screw to hold the spring in place.

Some of your pictures show the lock with a filled hole for the screw, and if you are going to restore it, you should try to use the correct replacement parts.

I enjoy doing restoration also, but I think it best to try to do it as accurately as possible, and not just as easily as possible.
John
John Robbins

Offline runastav

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 03:23:19 PM »
Hi all, and thank you Hawkeye 2 and JTR! This gun is not a waluabel collektor gun, I like to repear it to shoting condision.And yes JTR I know its not the right mainspring . I have made lots of springs with eye for the screw,  and you see I have plugged this hole ;)Its much to cold for me to stay outside and make springs now, and the @!*%?& cold Putin wind from the east >:(By the way, if the lock plate have builders name the serious collektor go bananas 😂 Ok, the missing horn nosecap is on the way!Wath do you guys think of the nise forestock schape, loocks similar to you?
Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 06:46:50 PM »
Hi all! Horn nosecap epoxy in plase, have any tried glued horn caps with Titebond 3 wood glue?
Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 03:40:47 PM »
Hi all! Ramrod with horntip, glued with Titebond  as the polaks say(No problem) ;)
Runar

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 04:48:57 PM »
Very nice neat work on the nosecap and ramrod tip Runar!

You have done a very nice job!
I have used wood glue on horn nosecaps, and it is still holding after about 25 years!

Thank you for the pictures!

all the best,
Richard.

Offline runastav

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 12:47:37 PM »
Hi all, and thank you Richard! Since the gun will be used I inspekt the breach plug, and its no good. So open up to 25x1,5 mm threads and next will be welding on a tang.The taps and dye is made in 1943 and its top kvalitet ;)
Runar

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 07:19:49 PM »
Runar,

First of all, Happy New Year !!!  Second, as usual, I love to watch the progression of any of your projects and in this last batch of photos, I really like the clamp that fits in your lathe tool post so that you can use a drill in the lathe chuck to rebore the breech of the barrel to the new thread diameter and then keep the tap on axis with the bore.  Great work and all the best !!!

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 08:11:57 PM »
I’m guessing your spindle bore wasn’t big enough to pass the barrel through?

Offline runastav

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 10:51:05 PM »
Hi all, and thank you guys! Yes Jim you right, my 100 years old lathe in my workshop is not big enough for so big barrels :-[
I have a wery big lathe (Brødrene Sundt) ca 2 tons heavy in yhe garage, but sold it for more space there >:(
Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2024, 06:40:40 PM »
Hi all!
Done, ready for shooting range after proof test ;)
Runar

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2024, 09:10:57 PM »
Going to be fun watching you restore this poor antique.  You are a Master at this sort of weapon, no doubt at all.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.