Author Topic: Ringed Horn Documented to Central Kentucky  (Read 939 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Ringed Horn Documented to Central Kentucky
« on: February 12, 2024, 05:32:31 AM »
Last week I acquired a large powder horn from a family in Danville, Boyle County, Kentucky, that has been in the family for many generations. There was no gun to go with it [but an inquiry has been made], but the horn itself validates my long-held belief that ringed horns were made in Kentucky, even some with bone tips although this one has a tip modification [repaired with cast pewter] so the original type of tip is unknown. I purchased it based on a couple photographs, and when I got it, it proved to be even better... with a large screw-out nose button made of solid horn, and the nose funneled for easier powder loading. Usually that characteristic is also presumed to be from VA or NC when seen. Better Kentucky horns are known for having high domed, attractively turned end-grain walnut plugs, and this one follows that pattern. I thought everyone might enjoy seeing an interesting Kentucky horn... one that if there were no provenance behind it, would probably be assigned to VA or NC.

At one time the horn had a smaller, second horn ring where the leather ring is now located. Shadows on the horn surface indicate there was a second ring at that location. Apparently the tacked-on leather ring was a replacement for the lost ring. The plug is beautifully turned walnut, and as stated, the threaded knob in the plug's nose is made of horn. One detail I found interesting were the tiny pins attaching the remaining ring. The pins are at bottom, top and back side, but the front of the ring is clear, as if left that way for a cleaner appearance. Dimensions: outside curve = 15-3/4" and inside curve = 13." Horn diameter at base = 2-13/16" and nose plug length = 1-3/4."

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 05:47:17 AM by Tanselman »

Offline homerifle

Re: Ringed Horn Documented to Central Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 06:23:20 AM »
I really like it!  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 06:55:45 AM »
Very nice horn
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 07:57:44 AM »
Very cool.  Got any markings in it?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 04:51:23 PM »
 Really nice horn, wonder how I missed it. I would have guess Va. How about a better Pic of the tip?

Thanks, Tim

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 06:25:35 PM »
Very nice horn. Thanks for sharing it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline aaronc

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 04:03:03 AM »
Wow, what a beauty.
- Aaron C