Author Topic: Frizzen cover lug  (Read 862 times)

Offline Steeltrap

Frizzen cover lug
« on: February 13, 2024, 01:41:52 AM »
Ok….so who filed off the “lug” under the frizzen when they are tuning a new lock?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Frizzen cover lug
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 03:25:58 AM »
The only locks I have seen with a "lug"or projection into the pan were from L&R.There may be others but L&R are the ones that I remember.
Bob Roller

Offline JEH

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 03:45:36 AM »
I always grind them off. Lot better ignition for me and gets rid of the water wick to the pan.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 03:17:21 PM »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 06:45:59 PM »
Hi,
This link discusses that lug and a lot more.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60628.msg607217#msg607217

dave

Thanks SD. Most of the issues you discuss in the link I have on this lock. OTOH, I knew this going into it. So, I'm at the start process of tuning it and if all goes well, I won't need to send for replacement pieces. Time will tell.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 02:38:47 PM »
So, while I'm on the subject, in the pics below I've placed arrows pointing to areas of the pan that are larger than the pan cover. I'm thinking I should file those pan "overages" down to match the pan cover. Not only for looks, but for a slightly better chance of keeping water out.

The second pic would require some shaping of the pan cover and I don't think it's all that bad as is.

Suggestions?  Thanks!!

(And no...I'm not done filing the lock plate. My new files just arrived yesterday so now I can continue that work.)

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 10:51:57 PM »
i've been searching the internet for over 30 minutes trying to find a picture of a finished lock with the view from the top. You know how hard that is?

All final builds have pics with the pan open and the cock in the full down position.

Of my other two builds that I've looked at, the pan cover is large than the pan. This lock (above) is the first one I've seen (and I'm no expert) that has the cover smaller than the outside of the pan.  The rim of the pan has plenty of metal to provide good pan\pan cover fit.

I think I should remove the extra pan metal so the two line up. Am I overthinking this one?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 11:40:54 PM »
If that was my lock, I'd file off the overlap during the polishing sequence.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.