Author Topic: Kibler’s “Quaker” practice stock arrives!  (Read 3032 times)

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
Kibler’s “Quaker” practice stock arrives!
« on: February 15, 2024, 05:10:17 AM »
In an effort to learn some basic stock carving, inletting, scraping, etc I bought one of the practice stocks from Kibler’s inventory. Oh this is a lovely piece of wood! Cant wait to practice finishing it. Is this how thin they really are! I know it’s cut short but it seems to tiny! Anyway 100% please and now its time to practice.
Cheers

photo img

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Kibler’s “Quaker” practice stock arrives!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 05:51:23 AM »
 Man, that stock is screaming to be a 3/4 stock poor boy.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 05:08:47 PM »
 Exactly what I thought wen I first saw it. TC

Offline TDM

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 06:07:01 PM »
Wow, you almost got the whole stock. The one I got a year or so ago ended at the forearm and I was still tempted to make something out of it. Yours definitely has possibilities.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 06:20:24 PM »
How much do those cost?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 07:30:06 PM »
That would be what i did with it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 09:44:35 PM »

Hungry Horse

I have a 50cal barrel from a CVA synthetic stocked sidelock. I got it missing a trigger and some other parts. Maybe I’ll see if the barrel fits that channel. This stock - the ramrod drilling ended up through the barrel channel thus it ending up where it ended up. Prob have to get the lock for which it was inletted. Maybe? Who knows. Anyway the wood is gorgeous.

Offline DHouse

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 12:41:33 AM »
 ;D That's funny you asked if that's how thin they really are. After looking at thousands of photos of longrifles online and in books for years, when I FINALLY got to hold one in person I could not get over how delicate and thin everything was. I could wax poetic endlessly about the juxtaposition of such delicate artistic execution on a tool that was designed for one thing only, and how well it did that one thing and the harmony of form and function. Have fun!! Go to a show if you can!!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 02:56:30 AM »
 My suggestion is to forget the CVA barrel. It’s way too short, and if you cut their junky breech and drum off it will even be shorter. Most 3/4 stock mountain rifles are almost as long as a full stock. Make sure you measure both ends of the barrel inlet because it may be inletted for a swamped barrel.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 04:26:58 AM »
That stock needs the proper barrel it was inlet for.  Opening up the rod hole from the top is OK to finish the rod hole.
I'm sure that barrel is available.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 08:40:00 PM »
That is great.  IT was cut off with room to use a nose cap. 

I have been thinking of doing one for a while.  I got a Colonial carving practice stock.  Unfortunately it was cut to short in the forend. I thought they all were done that way.   I should contact Jim about a similar stock as the OP.  I would go with a maple under rib.  I have an extra barrel and lock already. 

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 04:48:03 PM »
That stock needs the proper barrel it was inlet for.  Opening up the rod hole from the top is OK to finish the rod hole.
I'm sure that barrel is available.

Breech 0.956
13” 0.775

Looks like a description of the Colerain 38” Swamped Early American style barrel. Fair enough. I don’t think I’m skilled enough to adapt a different lock to this so I’ll
Need a Ketland lock. Trigger guard, buttplate maybe order, maybe attempt to make a model then sand cast. I incidentally have a 6kg melting furnace coming that is for a different project. Nice thing about casting stuff is if it turns out wonky back into the furnace it goes!

Note- none of this project will interfere with my main rifle project - a soon to be ordered Woodrunner kit from Kibler. This is all just stuff to practice on.

Anyway I’ll prob do some sort of video series on it so I have it for myself for future projects.

Cheers to the folks who have encouraged me to do more than just whittle on this lovely bit of wood.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 10:57:50 PM »
Can't you just order the barrel, TG and butt plate, etc from Kibler?
John Robbins

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 03:37:45 AM »
That would be too easy…. And yeah it’s prob what I’ll do, but hoping I can get a 36 cal for this half stocker.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2024, 07:23:10 PM »
Some of these stocks could be turned into a half-stock, but some have issues that would make assembly pretty difficult.  Just beware I guess...

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2024, 07:26:15 PM »
Here is one I did. Still need to figure out a forward rod pipe.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2024, 07:33:50 PM »
 ;D I'll bet there will be no more "Quaker" stocks with a bit of forearm shipped out any more.
John Robbins

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 10:47:17 PM »
Some of these stocks could be turned into a half-stock, but some have issues that would make assembly pretty difficult.  Just beware I guess...

So, if these blemished stocks are offered for sale do you also offer castings such as butplates, triggerguards and the like as well? Would they be discounted if for sale?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 11:47:26 PM »

So, if these blemished stocks are offered for sale do you also offer castings such as butplates, triggerguards and the like as well? Would they be discounted if for sale?

Do you mean blemished other parts?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 01:53:05 AM »

Do you mean blemished other parts?

Yes, I'm sure there are some, there were a bunch at your open house.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2024, 04:12:15 AM »
Usually we scrap the defective castings etc. these days.  Maybe we should set these aside if there is an interest.

Thanks

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2024, 04:15:50 AM »
It’s just stuff to practice on. Even trying to get a barrel and action working! And yeah this one the ramrod hole comes up into the barrel channel. In any case I’m starting to work on my drawings to start carving!

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 04:39:36 AM »
Usually we scrap the defective castings etc. these days.  Maybe we should set these aside if there is an interest.

Thanks

I am interested, in fact I am close by and wouldn't mind stopping by to see what's available (if that's allowed)

Offline okawbow

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2024, 11:02:59 PM »

Wanted a half stock, so used a walnut practice stock and poured a pewter nose cap. Also made a wooden under rib from persimmon wood.  .40 caliber, weighs 6#7 ounces. Ordered the normal parts from Kibler for the rest. Just trying to be different I guess.😁
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline PHolder

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2024, 03:36:18 PM »
;D That's funny you asked if that's how thin they really are. After looking at thousands of photos of longrifles online and in books for years, when I FINALLY got to hold one in person I could not get over how delicate and thin everything was. I could wax poetic endlessly about the juxtaposition of such delicate artistic execution on a tool that was designed for one thing only, and how well it did that one thing and the harmony of form and function. Have fun!! Go to a show if you can!!
I have always thought the American Longrifle is one of the most beautifully executed pieces of functional art.  I try to explain this to folks and they look at me like I've got two heads. 
Last year I had the opportunity to visit the rifle shop at Old Salem and handle several rifles.  The elegance really came to life.