Author Topic: My first horn **Updated**  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Blackthorn

• Starting Member
My first horn **Updated**
« on: February 17, 2024, 04:31:07 AM »
I finally got around to making my first horn.  It was a lot of fun and I learned some lessons along the way.  Just tossing around the idea of aging the horn or just leaving it like a new horn.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:08:54 PM by Blackthorn »

Offline jbigley

Re: My first horn
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 04:12:05 PM »
Blackthorn--That is one nice looking horn. Your first?!! Waugh!
My humble opinion: Leave it like it is --for now. You can then "age" it later if you so choose. Just MHO. -- JB

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 04:17:53 PM »
 looks good, I like the engrailing. Next time try and thin/taper the neck and tip more. Even using the same design it will look like a different horn. I would put some color/patina on it.

Tim C.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 06:39:02 PM »
looks good, I like the engrailing. Next time try and thin/taper the neck and tip more. Even using the same design it will look like a different horn. I would put some color/patina on it.

Tim C.
Advice from an expert. (Thumbs up).
Although *I* still wouldn't "age" it yet. :D
-- JB

Offline Blackthorn

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 11:07:39 PM »
Blackthorn--That is one nice looking horn. Your first?!! Waugh!
My humble opinion: Leave it like it is --for now. You can then "age" it later if you so choose. Just MHO. -- JB
Thank you sir. 

Offline Blackthorn

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 11:14:22 PM »

Tim C.
Thank you.  Since it was my first I was getting a bit nervous about making the tip too thin.  On my next one I will thin and taper it down more.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 07:04:03 PM »
If you think you might stain and age it eventually, then I would suggest steering clear of applying any kind of wax to the horn body.  Also give it a wipe with denatured alcohol prior to staining (or a final light scrape is even better when no scrim is present) to remove any hand oils. Will keep from having a blotchy staining result and allow for a deeper set of the hot dye solution).  My 2 cents. 

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 07:17:24 PM »
I think your horn looks like you have polished it to some degree.  Polish and stain do not mix too well.  I would get some 400 grit or finer sand paper and buff the horn body until that is gone, then repeat with 0000 steel wool.  Then stain it.  That will make it accept a very nice coloring.

John (Bigsmoke)

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 08:50:42 PM »
I am also new to horn making. Don't buy the cheapest horn you can lay your hands on. Look at its shape and try and visualize what you want from it. There is a reason why the original horns look so attractive, look at lots of them. Horns with lots of material left in the neck area are also heavy.

Offline Polecat_Tom

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 01:02:02 AM »
How in the world did you lay out the engrailing to get it to come out what appears to me perfect?

Offline Blackthorn

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 04:04:41 AM »
I actually used my the width of my gouge.  I cut one then moved the gouge to the outside edge and made a mark then cut the next one.  So it turned out to be cut skip cut.

Offline TDM

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 06:09:50 PM »
Nicely done.

Offline tunadawg

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 02:44:37 PM »
Very nice.

Offline Blackthorn

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 04:54:44 AM »
I applied some patina as was suggested by Mr Crosby.  I was thinking of not doing it but thought this is a good chance to try adding patina.  I really like the way the patina brought out the grain of the horn.  I’m getting ready to start my next project with the hints and advise of the great members here I am really looking forward it.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: My first horn **Updated**
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 09:33:55 PM »
 That adds to it. A nice horn by its self or a nice bag alone may look good but when put together as a set they really stand out and these two complement each other nicely.
 Look forward to seeing what's next.

Tim

Offline TDM

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 11:16:00 PM »
You made a very positive improvement, nice.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 03:18:36 PM »
Yep. Looks great! -- JB