Author Topic: The West Virginia Mountaineer Rifle  (Read 945 times)

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
The West Virginia Mountaineer Rifle
« on: March 03, 2024, 06:08:59 PM »
Howdy all!
I knew Marvin Wotring the man who built some (most) of the original muskets for the WV Mountaineer and I wondered - what pattern is this rifle built upon? Have a few pics. There are some differences but they seem to largely be similar. Wasn’t sure exactly where this would go in the forum. Any help would be appreciated. I have a knife made by and Mr Wotrings 12ga reloading outfit (Herter’s I believe). 

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: The West Virginia Mountaineer Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 10:33:27 PM »
I have wondered the same thing since first seeing one of his rifles. I hope someone can tell us.  I think it is a mix.  I am not familiar with the very long cheek rest.  The tapered wrist big behind the tang, then narrower as it goes again not familiar with. 

I have heard a lot of people say they were like WV/VA Sheetz rifles.  I don't see that either.  Below are some photos of original antique West Virginia/VA Sheetz rifles.

https://hampshirecountylongrifle.blogspot.com/search?q=Frederick+Sheetz

https://hampshirecountylongrifle.blogspot.com/search?q=Zebulon+Sheetz
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:54:09 PM by Avlrc »

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 08:24:54 PM »
Would be nice to build one in that style. In any case I may inlay a state of WV because i love how that looks!!!

Phil

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 08:34:56 PM »
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 08:48:17 PM »
My Mom came from West Virginia and, on my Dad's side, a great-grandfather fought in the 7th West Virginia Infantry during the Civil War. Having said this, one notes that a W. Va.-shaped inlay in a flint rifle would be a tad of an anachronism, West Virginia having no existence prior to 1863. Perhaps in a percussion rifle....