Author Topic: Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle - building  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle - building
« on: March 05, 2024, 05:50:10 PM »
I think Jim Kibler has the finest kits for making flint longrifles. His kits, his latest offerings are wonderfully easy to build. He uses state of the art CNC computer driven equipment that makes it a snap together assembly. No need or very minor inletting, a few final work on the metal work and just finish the wood. He has many Youtube videos to walk you through the process.

I am a stickler for authenticity and his creations are really true to form. For less than $2,000 (or less) you can complete a rifle that rivals custom rifles. See my Woodsrunner I built with the "extra fancy Maple" even the carving is done by computer.

Got a message from Jim Kibler, he found a special Maple log that has wood better than his "Extra Fancy" which is 90% curl. The new wood is 100%. He calls it "Select Maple." There are (were) 15 blanks for Woodsrunner and 20 for Southern Mountain Rifle SMR.

I immediately jumped in and ordered a SMR .45cal in "Select Maple." It may be here in a week or so. I can't wait!!!

Plan to build with photos.

Here is a photo from Jim's website. I call it "Embryo."

People either survive in the Jungle, or exist in the Zoo. Few recognize the significance of the paradoxical reconciliation of the two. It takes a rare individual who understands how cunning and aggressive one has to be to acquire an Estate in the Jungle.

Offline Daryl

Re: Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle - building
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 04:39:22 AM »
Here one of those Kibler SMR's Taylor put together.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Giddy-up

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 05:39:00 AM »
Hi Daryl,

Do you know how Taylor finished the stock on that spectacular SMR?  I'm interested in the stains or dyes along with the finish used. 

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 08:35:54 PM »
I call it "Embryo."

Why do you call it Embryo?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 11:00:31 PM »
Marplot - your pictures of a finished rifle, are not of his SMR. The ones I posted are.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 03:29:32 PM »
I bought an entire tree that Taylor's stock came out of.  It was pretty darn amazing to say the least.  Nice and hard and super fine curl.  Wish I had more like this.