Author Topic: J.Hawken fullstock Rifle plans from Dixie Gun works  (Read 1849 times)

Offline L.H. Smoke Pole

• Starting Member
Re: J.Hawken fullstock Rifle plans from Dixie Gun works
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2024, 04:56:17 PM »

What appears to be one with the lock on the wrong side :o Yup I am lefthand impaired  ;) and can't take a proper picture to save myself.  ???

Joe, sweet Rifle. Which lock did you use?. and what Caliber?.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2024, 05:22:39 PM »
58 cal. Modified L&R  lock, lot of filing to get the face flat,  didn't like the wafer thin fly either, to me, it seemed a bit un-safe. Made a thicker one,   made the adjustments to fit it, a good tuning, not to shabby of a lock now. The color case hardening was done by the folks at Wyoming armory, they are great folks to deal with and know their craft.

Offline L.H. Smoke Pole

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2024, 06:27:40 PM »
58 cal. Modified L&R  lock, lot of filing to get the face flat,  didn't like the wafer thin fly either, to me, it seemed a bit un-safe. Made a thicker one,   made the adjustments to fit it, a good tuning, not to shabby of a lock now. The color case hardening was done by the folks at Wyoming armory, they are great folks to deal with and know their craft.

Nice what's the range you're getting from it?.
What is your barrel length?.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 08:02:18 PM »
36" target wise,  does nicely out to 100,125 yrds. I've shot steel past that, Kentucky elevation though. Hunting wise, most deer are seen,shot 25,50 yrds. I would have no problems taking deer out to a 100yrds but haven't yet. Might want to post shooting questions,range,expectations in the black powder shooting forum, guys like Mr. Sapergia's brother Daryl and those fellas over there have way more knowledge than I.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 08:03:01 PM »
36" barrel

Offline L.H. Smoke Pole

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 08:46:06 PM »
Nice Thanks for the info.

Offline L.H. Smoke Pole

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2024, 04:26:02 AM »
redheart if you're still following this post, "I Get" your squirrel gun reference.
In todays mail cane the Dixie Gunworks plan.

This in no way is a Jacob Hawken Mountain Rifle.

But 2 thing have or can come of this.
1. DGW didn't end up charging me for it, the print must be pretty old and a bit tarnished.
2. I will make a Squirrel Rifle, lol

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2024, 09:48:21 PM »
The photo would make a pretty good J&S Hawken of the Western Fur trade period, which was pretty much dead by 1840-42. The later massive even clubby Hawkens that follow are wagon train/army guild era rifles with few or no exceptions. The Bridger rifle is a 1850s most likely since in the early 50s he was making 150 a MONTH guiding the army and that was a LOT of money at the time. The earlier rifles, like you would find at a 1830s Rendezvous were not the same rifle. They were slimmer longer barreled, they did not have 7/16” loading rods. One of my favorites is a half stock that we are sure actually went to the mountains about 1834-36 and the small end of the rod is about 1/4”. And the barrel is 39 7/8” rapid taper to about the entry pipe and slightly swamped, 1 1/32” breech, 50 cal on a 1/2 stock. And the buttstock is much like the drawing here.
If you get the right barrel/breech/buttplate/lock you really don’t need dimensions just a good drawing of about any size, that you can use to shape it right. Its possible to enlarge photos to get the proper drop and pull length using the lock length or BP height to get a dimension to use to determine the various dimensions.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2024, 09:58:54 PM »
The hawken shop woulda built anything a person wanted,cash in hand that walked thru the door. There was left handed locks, they woulda built you one. There's no flintlock hawken rifles in existence yet everything points to them being built.

But there is. It’s a S Hawken surely from the 1850s no less. But it was converted to percussion by screwing a drum into the flint “patent” breech vent, sawing off the water proof pan and putting on a percussion hammer. It makes the “no flintlock St Louis Hawken” people get a little foamy but when the lock is pulled its obvious since the fence is still on the plate. The standing breech and the breech itself are obviously flint.  Its in the Smithsonian. There was a photo spread of this rifle, with the lock removed and photoed, in the Buckskin Report. John Baird ran it because people were essentially lying about the rifle to make it fit the “no flintlock Hawken” narrative they had locked into and would not change….

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2024, 12:20:03 AM »
The hawken shop woulda built anything a person wanted,cash in hand that walked thru the door. There was left handed locks, they woulda built you one. There's no flintlock hawken rifles in existence yet everything points to them being built.

This is a common assertion, across the board, from Andreas Albrecht to JP Gemmer, that shops were making whatever any customer wanted.
Assumptions: 1) They were keeping up with orders, and had time and capacity to spare. 2) A significant amount of their work was single guns for individuals and they were used to being flexible. 3) They didn’t care about having a style or brand at all. Whatever the customer wanted. 4) They could obtain all the quality parts needed easily and readily.

Where’s the data supporting this axiom? Do we see Oerter signed rifles looking like Lancaster rifles? No, in fact every one follows a single profile pretty closely. No patchboxes outside wooden ones and brass ones of Oerter’s designs.  Do we see signed Dickerts looking like Reading rifles? Signed Becks looking like Lehighs? No. Do we see signed Hawken rifles styled like NY rifles with the perch belly and funky inlays? No. Shops had styles of guns they made, many of which are distinctive, though varying over time.

Might the Hawken brothers have built a wealthy customer a left handed Hawken rifle? Could be, if they could source a breech within a year.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2024, 03:49:05 AM »

This is a common assertion, across the board, from Andreas Albrecht to JP Gemmer, that shops were making whatever any customer wanted.
Assumptions: 1) They were keeping up with orders, and had time and capacity to spare. 2) A significant amount of their work was single guns for individuals and they were used to being flexible. 3) They didn’t care about having a style or brand at all. Whatever the customer wanted. 4) They could obtain all the quality parts needed easily and readily.

Where’s the data supporting this axiom? Do we see Oerter signed rifles looking like Lancaster rifles? No, in fact every one follows a single profile pretty closely. No patchboxes outside wooden ones and brass ones of Oerter’s designs.  Do we see signed Dickerts looking like Reading rifles? Signed Becks looking like Lehighs? No. Do we see signed Hawken rifles styled like NY rifles with the perch belly and funky inlays? No. Shops had styles of guns they made, many of which are distinctive, though varying over time.

Might the Hawken brothers have built a wealthy customer a left handed Hawken rifle? Could be, if they could source a breech within a year.

I agree. For the most part.  Gunsmiths WOULD take orders for stuff but they would be stocked within certain limitations as you point out.
There is a long heavy percussion “Kentucky” in the Cody Firearms Museum its not what you would think of as a St Louis Hawken (this is not the spuriously marked heavy  fullstock that has been converted from flint). But its marked S Hawken and it has a “clue” that is identical to that on the S Hawken full stock “Mountain Rifle” that was in the same case telling me they were both stocked by the same hand. And we had them out of the case for examination.. Then we have the local trade “squirrel” rifles that are not “Mountain Rifles”. But the locals had no need for a expensive rifle with all be “bells and whistles” that made the rifle a better bet for work in the far West. We have the Mountain Rifle with SS triggers, DST, single triggers.  But they all fit that pattern once it was established sometime in the early 1830s. But there are brass mounted Mountain Rifles, Buttplate, TG, key escutcheons  all brass.  But the Hawken shop was not in some town in the East. It was literally the gateway to the West. From California to Vancouver. And things were changing at a rapid rate. Unlike the world that JP Beck worked in.  So we can say that the Hawken shop was making local trade rifles, full stock Kentuckies, full stocked and 1/2 stocked Mountain Rifles. The latter from the lock forward is basically a circa 1800 British 1/2 stocked sporting rifle and these often had scroll guards.
I don’t think a left handed rifle would have been a huge problem. Dunno what sources of supply they had in St Louis but I bet that they could order such things from Tryon perhaps. But airmail was not available but then people were not used to instant gratification at the time either.

Offline L.H. Smoke Pole

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2024, 06:55:17 PM »
Hey folks, I'm not here to be upset, nor am I.
Also I never stated that I was going to make anything original
that's not me.

I'm just gathering information to make a determination on what I want to implement or not in my build.
People talking about what went on 204 years ago is mere speculation I think on everyone's part.
My statement that the Hawken Bro's, or any business man would build anyone, any thing they wanted, providing
the parts existed, or could be made, holds true today, business is business.
Wasn't any different back then...again, within reason.