General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Chunk gun shoot

(1/4) > >>

Hungry Horse:
 My gun club just let me know they are thinking about having a chunk/Sargent York style shoot. It’ll be our first so what are the pitfalls?

Hungry Horse

rich pierce:
Old guys have trouble getting up and down with a heavy gun, if you’re going traditional where shooters lie on the ground.  It’s important to establish the rules on sights, shaders, and so on. In most cases the butt of the rifle must be off the ground and on the shoulder. Ideally shooters will bring a ball from their gun, cut in half with a punch mark in the center of the flat side to facilitate measurement. Supply numbered cards with the X printed on them corner to corner, maybe 6” square if I recall.

Robin Henderson:
First of all, let me qualify by saying that I shoot chunk but, bad for me, I'm no good at it....still fun though. Below are the targets shot at 60 yards at both Friendship and the York. Also, there is the overlay and calipers used to measure how far off center your shot was....x center to center of ball. Ten targets, ten measures(one shot per target) and then added together to give you your string in inches. At the York a pretty good string is going to be +/- 5". I believe the record is somewhere around 2.5 or so. All shooters use their own chunk, target frame and spotter. The spotter is necessary because the small record targets are very difficult to see at 60 yds. It's basically a larger aiming point of your own preference that you can easily get a bead on. The rifles sights have been previously adjusted to shoot off your spotter. You're given time to shoot a group, which in my case is about six or so inches below the aiming spot. When you are going for score your record targets will be posted behind your group. Then it's all up to you. Of course, all this can be adjusted to suit your club. As for my club, we don't shoot chunk mainly because of the limitations of our mostly senior members but instead a table shoot has more suited us.     

Here are the rules for the annual Alvin York match:

Rifles may be flint or percussion ignition, of either traditional hunting or ‘old style’ traditional target type, with no limit to weight or caliber.
No false muzzles, no sealed ignition, no in-line actions, no thumbhole or adjustable stocks and no padded buttplates.
Rifles must shoot black powder w/ patched lead round balls, no bullets.
Shaders are permitted, but must not extend pass the rear of the breech.
Rear sights should be open sights at least 6” in front of the breech.
Front sights should be blade, pin-head or post.
The use of barrel rests (cant blocks) or sandbags on the chunk are permitted and encouraged, Only the shooter’s hand may support the butt of the rifle, no sandbags or blocks of wood  allowed under the butt of rifle and no gloves of any kind.
Butt of the rifle may not touch the ground.

MuskratMike:
Just to add a little to Robins fine post. If you are unable to lie prone due to age, size or medial condition a bucket or bucket height stool can be used and cross sticks replace the "chunk".

smylee grouch:
It's been some years ago now but I think it was Don Getz  who told me they were thinking of making a " platform " out of 4x8 sheets of plywood secured to two 55 gal drums laying on their side so aged shooters could get down and up easier. I never found out if that ever came to be.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version