General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

American maple stocked fowler circa 1750 Ivey Collection

(1/2) > >>

backsplash75:
Greetings,
Does anyone have additional images of the maple stocked fowler listed as :

:Figure 2. American maple stocked fowler circa 1750 in the manner of English and French fowlers
with a Charleston, SC, history. (Owner: Ivey Collection.)"

in American Society of Arms Collectors Bulletin 113:20-28 (North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765–1865* by William Ivey)? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim Kibler:
Wonder what they are using to date this?  This type of gun often smells of re-used parts.  They probably are looking at the lock and then putting the date on it.

rich pierce:
How old is the publication?
(just looked it up, 2010)

The challenge with fowlers is that unless they are of a specific type (Hudson Valley, club butt, New England) they are hard to date by style. Then folks rely on the furniture, barrel, lock, and so on. As stated, a restock of old parts is possible. And fowlers could often be imported for less than they could be made of new parts in that era. But, I’m not a published expert in this area, so there’s that.

backsplash75:
Any composite gun can be a murky thing to date, obviously no earlier than the latest part, however the stock profile can be used as a reasonable guesstimate in some cases. Hopefully more images of this pop up, looks like a very interesting gun.

Robert Hill:
That picture is a very small inset in Mr. Ivey’s book on North Carolina rifles. I believe the picture is in the foreword. I’ve never seen any other pictures of that gun and I have looked simply because of our close proximity to Charleston. 
-Robert Hill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version