General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

sight opinions

(1/6) > >>

Kurt:
I was zeroing my 54 caliber @ 50yds and I have the front sight filed down to less than 1/8 inch, .112, and using a 6 o'clock hold on this black bull I shot this group with 60 and 80 grains of 2F. Should I file more, be satisfied, or buy a higher rear sight? Windage to be adjusted right. Thanks. I will admit too that I could just make out that black bull at 50 yards.

bluenoser:
How much too low is it and what is the distance between your sights?
Have you found your accuracy load?

Kurt:
bluenoser,   My sight picture was with the top of the front sight just at the bottom of the black bull(otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see it.). The distance between the front and rear sight is 27&5/8 inches. As to an accuracy load, it would have to be between 60 and 80 grains of powder because I am not going to use more than 80 grains. I shoot paper and PA whitetails at not more than 75 yards so I don't need more velocity or recoil. The 60-grain group measures 1&3/4", the 80-grain 1&5/8"CtoC. With this type of sight and my eyes, I don't think I could get a better group. If I put an aperture on it I might but I am not going to do that with this rifle. Thanks.

Daryl:
Appears to me, you need a slightly higher rear sight. It's almost zeroed at that range right now, only 1" or so low to the centre of your group which is on the 8/9 line. I would not personally go lower than the current 1/8" front sight height.

Taylor and I figured, for this 50yard target (March Postal) we'd have to use a larger sighting bullseye & position it correctly so the group is over the centre of the "targets" bull.
For me, I'll likely use my 200yard sight and position my 'spotter' target appropriately. He could do that same if he uses his 1853 Lang Rifle in 16 bore & use either the 100yard or 150yard leaf.

smylee grouch:
Shoot some more 80 gr loads ( two 5 shot groups ) to verify your point of impact. Sometimes the sun can play tricks on you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version