Author Topic: New Class - the Foxfire Gun  (Read 709 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

New Class - the Foxfire Gun
« on: March 15, 2024, 04:36:06 PM »
Hey everyone -  this announcement is a little bit preliminary since we don't have all the details worked out yet, but here we go  .... As I am sure many of you know, our friend Hershel House passed recently. In the time leading up to his death, he told us that he wanted classes to continue at his home after he was gone. John House and I will be carrying on with the NMLRA / WKU seminar, and there are several of us working on further filling out the class schedule. A website for the Hershel House Woodbury School Foundation is in the works and should be up and running shortly.

Over time a whole lot of people have been inspired to take up gun building by the gunmaking chapter in Foxfire five.  We are very fortunate to still have with us Wallace Gusler and Jim Chambers who were interviewed for the book . Since Hershel's passing, I have been thinking it would be a fitting tribute to have a class where we'll build a rifle in the spirit of Hershel's Foxfire gun, so we're going to give it a shot this July 21-27. The class will take place at Hershel's home and it will be open to beginners and experienced builders alike. I'll supply everyone with a parts and tool list and other info after they get registered. Not sure of price yet but we'll have that very soon. This is a simpler project - a stripped down rifle where it's all about getting the lines right and ending up with a fast shooting tack driver. We'll be forging trigger guards and making all the small parts by hand. Going to be a fun class!

I don't have a you tube account set up yet, but if you'd like to check it out I did post a video on the class over on Hershel's Facebook page -    https://www.facebook.com/groups/304562264191306   Our friend Rick Brown is in charge of that and he'll be handling class registration, so if you're able to get on facebook and you're interested in the class you can send him a message. Otherwise, send me a PM here on ALR and I'll put you in touch with him. 

Offline beagle74

• Starting Member
Re: New Class - the Foxfire Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 05:37:57 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: New Class - the Foxfire Gun
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 05:01:48 AM »
Update - the class has filled. Rick may still be taking names as alternates in case of cancellation.