Author Topic: Stain  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Bob Rearley

Stain
« on: March 17, 2024, 12:02:27 AM »
Gentlemen,
As I'm working on this gun I often find myself wondering how the old-timers approached a task and how long it took them to accomplish.  I enjoy a cigar from time to time, especially when I am working on a gun and I started wondering if any of the old-timers might have used a tobacco leaf stain, so I started throwing my butts in a bucket of water.  I won't try it on this present gun.  I'll have to see how much color I can get.
Has anyone ever seen any documentation on the use of tobacco stain?
Enjoy a cigar today, Bob

Offline Eric Laird

Re: Stain
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 12:14:59 AM »
It seems to me that the old Dixie Gun Works catalogs used to mention a plug of tobacco soaked in something - maybe household ammonia - for a "traditional" stain, but I haven't seen one of their catalogs in probably decades. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not - like they say, as you get older memory is the second thing to go....
Eric Laird

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 03:13:40 AM »
Yes, I remember the plug tobacco stain and also recall it being in ammonia.  I made and tried a batch perhaps 40 years ago and was not impressed with the result.  As I recall, it did clear the sinuses.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 03:36:44 AM »
It seems like Chuck Dixon mentioned folks using chewing tobacco juice  in his discussion of stains. I may have seen this somewhere else. A lot of things have gone in and out of this head over the years.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline elk killer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 04:40:39 AM »
Jud Brennen stained a stock with tobacco leaf turned out great looking
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline satwel

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 03:24:01 PM »
Yes, I remember the plug tobacco stain and also recall it being in ammonia.  I made and tried a batch perhaps 40 years ago and was not impressed with the result.  As I recall, it did clear the sinuses.

I tried this also, about about 15 years ago, with the same results. A complete waste of time.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:10:28 PM »
I haven't tried tobacco, but I've made a stain out of ammonia and spruce bark that yielded a great colour but tended to be muddy.  Tannic Acid and Ferric nitrate works much better for me.
Tobacco in water would surely turn putrid and moldy in short order.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Crow Choker

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 12:06:02 AM »
Tried using some plug tobacco stain back around '74. Can't recall what I used as a liquid in the concoction, but it was in the dead of a cold North Iowa winter and had it in a container in the basement. Got to smelling so bad the Mrs. said it had to go, I didn't argue. Gave the dark liquid a try on some scrap walnut and some long forgotten light wood and wasn't to impressed. Tossed it in some snow and did a pretty good job of staining it. Josey Wales seemed to think tobacco juice was good for staining light colored suits on carpet baggers crossing a river on a ferry.  ;D

Offline Maurice

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 04:09:43 AM »
Page 132 of Recreating the American Longrifle mentions that the use of tobacco juice is reported in the literature but does not detail where at or how to use it.

I “binged” tobacco juice for wood stain and found some instructions on ehow.com. under an article entitled  "How to Make Wood Stain Out of Tobacco " Did not read it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 04:47:50 AM »
 Considering all the products in the hardware store, and the paint store, that pretty much make this a fool proof job, it just seems silly to possibly ruin all your hard work with something sketchy like tobacco juice. Developing a spectacular finish on any wood is a multi- step process. There are no miracles in a can that do all the right things to make a good piece of wood look like a great piece of wood. Jim Kibler’s videos on finishing wood pretty much show you how to get the most bang for your buck.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 07:06:41 AM »
Thanks guys. 
I'm pretty well versed in the use of most finishes as well as iron nitrate.  I hated to see those cigar butts go to waste.  Hart to beat The Kibler Iron Nitrate.  Appreciate your thoughts
Bob

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 01:55:46 AM »
My very first customer many years ago insisted on me using a chewing tobacco stain he concocted on his build (probably Levi Garret brand). It worked ok and was dark in the stripes but overall was very light, kind of like Laurel Mnt. Honey Maple. He loved it!
Yes it was tobacco soaked in Ammonia.
Tom C.

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 02:05:58 AM »
Gentlemen,
As I'm working on this gun I often find myself wondering how the old-timers approached a task and how long it took them to accomplish.  I enjoy a cigar from time to time, especially when I am working on a gun and I started wondering if any of the old-timers might have used a tobacco leaf stain, so I started throwing my butts in a bucket of water.  I won't try it on this present gun.  I'll have to see how much color I can get.
Has anyone ever seen any documentation on the use of tobacco stain?
Enjoy a cigar today, Bob

I enjoy the odd stick myself. I think from a chemistry perspective ammonia would be unnecessary. Tannins would be soluble in water, ethanol and acetone as would most of the pheonolic compunds. So - I would toss the butts in a 1L jar with 500cc everclear (once out  :D) and see what happens when its 3/4 full. Strain off into a coffee filter and get some test wood. I may try this myself although im a slow cigar butt maker - maybe just a few per month.

Doc van Phil

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 07:49:24 AM »
This discussion reminds me of the old Saloon days.  I bet their floors were  stained with tobacco juice, maybe not so long ago.
Bob