Author Topic: Early Lancaster update. First stain coat  (Read 1348 times)

Offline rick landes

Early Lancaster update. First stain coat
« on: March 17, 2024, 07:34:17 PM »
Finished engraving last weekend. Thought to update you all with a few pictures.

“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tommy Bruce

Re: Early Lancaster update. First stain coat
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:29:36 PM »
Rick, the carving looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:32:01 PM »
Exploring new territory in wood and it looks great!  Quite a masterful job.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Moleman

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 06:22:08 AM »
Looks great! Looking forward to the finished product as well. The patchbox and woodwork are awesome.

Offline Leighway

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 01:00:55 AM »
Very nice.

Offline rick landes

Re: Early Lancaster update. First stain coat Updated Progress
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 05:46:15 PM »
In the spirit of full disclosure, this is my second longrifle. I chose to build it as a learning tool. I spent my free time last winter reading and drawing from a book called "the acanthus leaf" by M. May. She is an old world trained master carver. I drew many many leaves two winters back wearing out more erasers than pencils in the process. This rifle displays Italian, Greek and Roman type leafs and vines. I began the carving this winter. A 3mm V tool and a 6mm fishtail did most of the heavy lifting.

The stain is a 50% cut Lancaster Maple I purchased from TOW.

I did the engraving on this but I have trouble in that I suffered a firearm explosion many years back and only have a working pinky on my left hand. I have some difficulty angling and rotating the chisel because of this. c'est la vie! I have done the best I have been enabled to do.

I just completed putting a gold band about 1/2 or so back from muzzle. It took three tries. Thank God for a good TIG welder to add back what I should not have taken off! The screws are now all fire blued and engraved (Bolt head and bolt end where visible.

I plan on browning the barrel with Mark Lee's rust browning. I had made a jig for setting up the correct height to drill through pins in the stock on swamped barrels and decided to brown it. I heated, applied solution and cooled it in snow. Gave a beautiful violet red plum brown. I am hoping for that result again...

Looks like I may need to sweep that floor so too.

I truly appreciate the comments. BTW Acer helped me some time back with a suggestion to narrow up the patchbox side plates. A tip of the hat to him. It made them look more lacy to my eye.

During this build I dealt with Thyroid cancers, a torn retina, both cataracts "repaired", a the deaths of several close friends and a parent. Building and learning are great consolers. (And only marginally more expensive than Therapy!) You all are appreciated more than you may realize. God Bless!

“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Asahi1234

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 11:28:09 AM »
Beautifully done. You are very talented.