Author Topic: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build
« on: March 18, 2024, 08:27:15 AM »
When Justin Urbantas dredged up the photos of my Alexander Henry rifle it made me realize it has been a long while since I made any posts of substance here....  So I thought I would post some progress photos of my current project.  I have a son-in-law who is a great guy and after 20 years of service will be retiring this fall from his job on a local Police force in one of mid-Missouri's largest towns.  I thought it would be nice to build him a rifle as a retirement gift, and it so happens that in late 2023 our Missouri Governor signed legislation making the Hawken rifle Missouri's State Rifle.

As this will be a presentation rifle (though I hope he will hunt and target shoot with it) the gun will be a bit fancier than the average Hawken style gun, but I plan to keep it within the realm of existing original plains rifles.  Anyway, here are some photos of the project as it starts...  The stock is partially stained as I was wanting to get some ideas of what finish would make the grain "pop" while I was waiting on parts orders.

I started with a 36" barrel, but based on comments from my son in law when he handled other rifles I have made over the years I decided th shorten it to 33".

More to come later, thanks for looking!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline elk killer

Re: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 12:15:29 PM »
Curtis you do know they have invented this thing called a band saw

Great work
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline runastav

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 02:56:13 PM »
Nice Curtis! Who sell Elbow Grease in Amerika? ;)
Runar

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 03:00:18 PM »
I like that you're using hand tools it just seems more proper for traditional rifle.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 04:29:06 PM »
That's a great video and for those who have few tools it's a help.IF possible and you have a high level of interest then buy as many labor saving tools as you can find.I am not a stock maker but the last halfstock rifle I made had the barrel inletted in 5 minutes with a milling machine at fiull speed and a speedbore wood drill bit modified to the octagon shape needed.Making locks without the mill and at least one
metal turning lathe for tumblers and screws.A sear made from 0-1 cut with a hacksaw and then several different files makes me tired to think of it.I treated lock and trigger making like any other machine shop job.Get it done in a way that quality isn't compromised and out the door to the USPS.Bonehead work like bronze bearings for transmissions got the same attention as a copy of a 3 or 4 screw Stanton style lock and no gripes or returns.
Bob Roller

Offline taterbug

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 04:33:47 PM »
but that IS a bandsaw.  It's just a short-band, Armstrong brand ;D

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 04:41:22 PM »
Files have been referred to as "armstrong" milling machines in some shops.
Bob Roller

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 05:15:17 PM »
Curtis,

Kudos! Nice to see you using the hand saws (tools) to accomplish the tasks on hand. I've done likewise last few years too so I don't forget the handwork labor experiences of the old days. Also, I only build one or two a year and do not make a financial living at this. To me anyways, it provides a little more sense of accomplishment when the project is done. Your son-in-law will surely value your efforts to build this specifically for him.

Ray

Offline helwood

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 07:20:17 PM »
Greetings Curtis,  I just Love the use of the Hand Tools.  If Folks would take the time to learn to use them they would find they really aren't that slow.  I still use the same technique to inlet Barrels, like Jack.  Look forward to following updates of this project.    Later, Hank

Offline ScottH

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 07:42:03 PM »
That stock has killer curl in it!  8)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 06:57:16 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!  I don't stock enough rifles in a year to feel like I would get enough use out of a bandsaw to justify the expense - I can get a perfectly good rip saw for like 100 times less cost, as nobody wants them anymore.  I don't have anything against power tools however I enjoy the pace and sensation of working with hand tools.  Like Taterbug said, Armstrong Brand bandsaw, lol!

Hank - yup, I still inlet the barrels the way Jack taught us too.  It is a bit labor intensive but it is a great way to work out ones frustrations!  ;)

Scott - It is a really nice looking chunk of wood, and it is really hard... the best part is (I forgot where I picked it up) but I remember paying like $25 for it.  Now that was a steal!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 07:10:33 AM »
Starting with some cleanup here, getting rid of the casting sprues:

Next some work on the thimbles:

Followed by a little soldering - doing the under-rib and thimbles in one shot - I put a hot steel rod in the barrel and used two torches at the same time (only one shown as the camera took up one hand!):

That's all for now!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 06:28:50 PM »
When I was young I enjoyed using hand tools and my maternal grandfather taught me about hand saws and I still have a few of his in my shop.Never needed them but our home is loaded with oak wood work he made all by hand.I watched gunsmith George Killen saw and file parts for old top break revolvers and make springs from flat section coil springs that held up hoods and trunk lids of cars.My shop was built in1964,cinder block and wood.The wood was replaced by the man who does our yard work and a carpenter who is rebuilding a house across the street.Looks like new again.These repairs made the value of the property a bit more if we decide to sell it.
   My interest in metal working really rose when I tried to take a class at East Trades School here in Huntington WVa but the "teacher" was never in the class room so I managed to figure out a South Bend Lathe and a vertical milling machine on my own.Industrial math was taught in a class room and I learned about micrometers and Vernier calipers plus the metric system.
Meeting E.M.Farris and Bill Large on the same day in April 1953 got me started and a shop was needed so the enclosed back porch was used
until money was available for a building.Having tools is a big advantage and it's not possible to have too many and being able to make the specialized ones is a source of personal satisfaction.Bill Large allowed me to use any tool or machine he had and he had a job teaching a shop class in the Ohio school system and he gave me a key to his shop so I could use his shop when he wasn't there.
   Tools are a treasure from the simplest ones to the stunning,complex ones and we are blessed to have such a wide variety available and it is not possible to have too many.

Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 06:48:55 PM »
  Curtis I admire the fact that you use hand hand tools. I've done all my barrel in letting that way except for straight barrels. Then I use my palm router. I know it's cheating.... But now for cutting out stocks I use a very old Craftsman band saw. It was a fifty dollar investment and my shoulders love it.  Getting old is not for sissies.....Oldtravler

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 06:41:37 AM »
Thanks Oldtraveler!  Also nothing cheating about using a router or bandsaw, whatever gets the wood off that doesn't look like a gunstock is okay by me.  Personally I just make my mistakes a bit slower with a hand tool than a power tool, lol!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2024, 06:48:53 AM »
The next step is putting a ramrod hole in the stock:

Then do some cutting, trimming and fitting for the butt plate:

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 06:48:11 AM »
Now that the profile is established, the buttplate and barrel are in, and the ramrod hole drilled it's time to take off some wood on the sides of the stock and set the widths.  I started by sawing the excess off the forestock:

Then a little rasping and gouging:

And still yet more gouge work:

Followed by some rasping and planing:

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 06:11:26 PM »
Thanks for the post!  I always enjoy looking at what other builds people are doing!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 08:07:32 AM »
Thanks Steeltrap!

Gouging an outline for the cheeckpiece:

And removing some excess wood:

Then smoothing things out a bit:

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 02:23:43 PM »
Shaping up nicely!

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 10:57:47 PM »
I've got a travisher like that for chair making, but I thought the curve would have been too much for a rifle.

I'll have to try it.

Offline helwood

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 01:53:56 AM »
Greetings Curtis,
I hope your thread inspires others to follow your lead.  It's the Journey, Most Excellent.   Hank

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 04:49:47 AM »
   Curtis has helped me in my projects a lot. What I like is he isn't afraid to
work around any problem.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 07:03:52 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments fellers!  Oldtraveler61 - Most of the problems I have to work around I create for myself, lol

Hank- Speaking of inspiring folks, you should post some updates on what you have been working on.  Those are TRULY inspirational! ;)

Martin S. -  I got the idea of using the Travisher on a flat surface after having used a Spoon Plane.  I get the blade razor sharp and set it for a thin cut, a little more cut on one side than the other, then tilt it till I get the shaving I am wanting.  Works much better than a flat spokeshave on a flat surface.  Also works well for a convex cheekpiece.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2024, 04:26:05 AM »
Curtis is also an expert at drinking whiskey.  I look forward to putting my fingerprints over his latest creation and perhaps having a snort.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill