Author Topic: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2024, 08:07:50 AM »
Hi Curtis, I’m enjoying seeing your work. I’m a tool junkie and your screw driver brace looks cool and probably works as good as it looks. Thanks for the three square file tip.
Cheers Richard

You may have noticed I am a tool junkie myself!  I admit I "paid up" a premium for the torque driver brace, but once I saw it I just had to have it.  The good news is it works even better than it looks!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2024, 02:06:47 PM »
I bet you did pay a “premium”, that ordnance mark looks like it was stamped yesterday.
Cheers Richard

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2024, 07:14:14 AM »
At this point in my build I decided to make a slight architectural modification to the rifle - mind you very slight however any architectural changes should be made as early as possible in a build, no matter how minor.  You can't really see it in this photo, but I could see it at a certain angle and could certainly feel it when I ran my hands across the wrist.  There was a slight raised area on both sides of the tang that I couldn't get to go away without getting into the tang itself.  It bothered me so much I had to do something about it whether it was a real problem or not.

My only solution at this stage of the game was to lower the back end of the tang slightly, in order to give me more wood to work with, but not significantly change the visual profile of the wrist. I started about halfway down the tang, and removed wood in a gentle slope to a depth of about a 16th of an inch just behind the rear tang bolt.

That doesn't sound like much, however after draw filing the wood back level with the tang you can see how much wood it gave me to work with in re-shaping the wrist.

While I was in the area I did some work on the comb transition area:

And here is a close-up of the re-shaped tang/wrist area.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2024, 07:25:02 AM »
It's time now to finish cleanup on the cheek.  The cheek has been pretty well shaped except for the very edge and where it meets the buttstock.  I want a slight molding in this area so I mark the line with a pencil, then slide my roll-stabbing tool carefully along the line (the shape of the tool resists following the grain if used with care).

Next I use the same tool to carefully trim wood in the transition area:

I work back and forth some from the top and side until I achieve the desired results!

Thank for looking, Curtis

Next up....  I think I can see STARS!  8)
Curtis Allinson

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2024, 02:17:17 PM »
Nice work!  I had a similar hump on my last build & did exactly what you did to fix it. The work was worth it.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2024, 05:17:53 PM »
Great pics of your project! I am seeing many new/old ways to "skin the cat!" I always like to watch how other people use there chisels & etc.
Tom C.