Author Topic: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build - Pics of Finished Rifle Added  (Read 16300 times)

Online Copper Dave

• Starting Member
Re: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2024, 05:55:14 PM »
Did the word “faith” get engraved spelled wrong?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2024, 12:47:12 AM »
What's worng with it?  :o
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline sdilts

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2024, 03:11:23 AM »
Looks like it's spelled FATIH

Offline helwood

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2024, 04:09:42 AM »
Greetings,
Excuse me but if that's what you're focused on I'm sorry for you.  Let's see your work.  The Hopi's when they made a blanket if it were "Perfect" would at the end intentionaly put a white thread out of the blanket,  this was the "Spirit Light" it was to let the spirit out of the blanket to make another high quality blanket.  This is a one off work of art and absolutely fantastic.  Maybe you should stay with a carbon copy CNC piece.
                                              Sincerely, Hank

Offline Daryl

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2024, 04:52:37 AM »
I agree. The T usually doesn't have a "tail", just the I.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2024, 05:01:23 AM »
Maybe you need to lighten up a bit, Hank.
Observationsand comments are just that.
Daryl

Offline taterbug

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2024, 06:41:42 AM »
it all loosk fien to me.  But I'm only a littlle dyl-seck-stisk.

Thanks for that mom ;)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2024, 07:26:54 AM »
Did the word “faith” get engraved spelled wrong?

Well color me BUSTED!!   :o  When I engraved the horizontal lines on the words at the top, the patchbox lid was upside down in the vice for easier access, and somehow something "short circuited" in my brain and transposed the I & T, even though it was spelled correctly in my original markup.  The funny thing is I didn't even notice it until two weeks after I finished the patchbox engraving, browned the metal, and was looking at a photo greatly enlarged on my computer AND I WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT!!  Several different people have seen the engraving before I posted it here, and no one ever mentioned seeing the mistake.  So I decided to post the photo -mistake and all- just to see if anyone noticed.

All that said, now that the metal has the finish on it, it will be much more difficult to fix the issue.  I have at least three ideas on how to do the fixing, and at least two of them might be decent methods....  I will cross my fingers when I attempt the fix, and post an update when that happens.  It may be a while before that happens.

And Hank, I greatly appreciate your argument in my defense!  I too am from the school of thought that things that are handmade should look like they are handmade, and not done by a CNC machine.  Accidentally misspelling a 5 letter common word might be just on the edge of that however, lol.  ;D

The bottom line is, I think I may be a "littlle dyl-seck-stisk" after all!  Anyone know where I can get a graver that has a spell cheker checker?

Curtis
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 07:55:28 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2024, 07:30:04 AM »
Nifty work Curtis! I like your engraving scene on the lock. Does it take you a long while to screw up the courage to start engraving? It does me.
Thanks Richard

Thanks Richard,  and the answer is YES!  And it takes even more courage to post it online!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2024, 03:17:07 PM »
It will be interesting to see when finished. There's a lot of original work out there with much more serious eye catchers than this one.

Keep going!  :)
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2024, 03:26:01 PM »
   Seems our world is getting WAY to picky...!  For me if it's hand made
  an has imperfections it's the way it should be... CNC guns are not for
  me... Just saying... Keep up the good work Curtis....

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2024, 04:02:41 PM »
   Seems our world is getting WAY to picky...!  For me if it's hand made
  an has imperfections it's the way it should be... CNC guns are not for
  me... Just saying... Keep up the good work Curtis....

That's why it's called "Free Market". You are free to choose as you please, as are others.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2024, 06:32:51 PM »
Just for instance, the A Verner rifle Taylor built as closely as possible to the original, says on the patch box A. Verver, Gun Smilk.
It happens, and Taylor's rifle duplicates the engraving, to the letter.
Daryl

Offline taterbug

« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2024, 06:38:25 PM »
Curtis, if I had started the engraving with the plate upside-down, Id' have a lot more than two letters transposed.  And it's not even letters, it's really just one tiny line that is on the wrong letter. 

I'd be tempted to leave it, and see who notices (present compnay (intentional) not included) ;D

But, it's just my opinion, and it's worth even less than my engraving!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2024, 07:13:05 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments! 

I don't know about anyone else, but I always have trouble judging the size of things in photos posted on the internet, so here is a pic with a dime in it for reference.

Now onto Wood finishes!  I don't have a great deal of photos as finishing wood is a messy process, but here are some highlights.

After previously experimenting with a number of combos, I settled on an application of Kibler's tannic acid (allowed to dry), followd by a coat of Kibler's iron nitrate.  Here are a couple of putting on the iron nitrate:

And after blushing with a heat gun:

Applying a little denatured or isopropyl alcohol will give you some idea of what the wood will look like after oil is applied.  Here are some samples taken with alcohol applied before and after rubbing back with some scotchbrite, steel wool and sandpaper.

You can see that a careful rubbing back of the stains really brings out the highlights in the curl.  Just don't take it back too far!

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2024, 03:15:11 PM »
Yeah.....that's gonna POP when you apply the finish! 8)

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2024, 06:10:19 PM »
Your attention to detail is what impresses me about this build. I can't wait to see it finished and shot.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2024, 09:36:06 PM »
"Anyone know where I can get a graver that has a spell cheker checker?"

LOL, That's funny.

I think you should do as you please as far as correcting goes but this minor mistake amongst the excellent work only speaks to the humanity of the overall work.  I find it inspirational from start to almost finished.  Don't think anything is going to change my mind. 
Mike Lee

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2024, 07:54:30 AM »
I thank you for your comments guys!

I rusted (or browned) most of the larger metal parts - some exceptions were the lock plate and the barrel wedges and escutcheons.

For the rusting process I started with a diluted solution of Brownell's Classic Rust Blue, about 10% of it with the remaining 90% of the fluid 50/50 denatured alcohol and water.  My theory is that the alcohol may help cut any oils missed in the prep process, and if not it doesn't hurt anything.  That dilution was applied for the first 3 or 4 rustings, and after each rusting the metal was carded with a Brownell's  carding brush mounted on a 1750 rpm motor.  At this point it doesn't look like much progress after carding, but trust me, the process is working. I normally do at 3-4 sessions in a day if conditions are correct.

After a small rust grain was established, I increased the amount of Classic Rust Blue to about 25% solution.  (All measurements were done by eyeballing so they are approximate.) and continued on for the next tow or three days.  At the end of the day, I card the metal and do not apply another coat of liquid until the next morning.  So I do the last carding at say 5:00 pm, check on the metal and likely card it again at 10:00 pm, then apply solution again in the morning and repeat the cycle.

I find that if I quit applying solution just BEFORE I reach the desired color, then continue to monitor the metal and card it as needed (at this point I may use a rotating brush, a "toothbrush" style carding brush, heavy cloth such as denim or burlap, or a piece of brown paper bag) - depending on how much rust is present.  I find if I stop applying solution early I do not get much after-rust when the metal reaches the desired color.   I can always apply another coat of solution if it doesn't get where I want it in a reasonable amount of time. 

When I am totally finished with the rusting process, I scrub with a 50/50 solution of household ammonia and a toothbrush or rag, then wash in dish soap and hot water, and last a hot water rinse.

Here are a few random pics of the browned metal ( I will have to get a good photo of the barrel, I haven't taken on yet.)

The triggers, barrel wedges and escutcheons were niter blued at approx. 650-700 degrees.  Sorry, not the best images here....

And the lock plate was given a Bright English Charcoal Blue in order to help preserve the tiny, detailed engraving.

Still applying oil to the stock... the wood finish will be the next subject posted.

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2024, 01:22:51 PM »
Gots some talent right there!

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2024, 04:49:09 AM »
Very impressive work!
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Online Jimclassjr

• Starting Member
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2024, 04:33:56 PM »
Stunning. I have enjoyed following along. Thank you so much for posting all the pictures and explanations…. They are wonderful!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2024, 08:37:31 PM »
 Curtis, I can’t tell how much I appreciate you demonstrating the use of tools like the ones early gunsmiths actually used. It’s pretty hard for me to keep a civil tongue when somebody starts their project by purchasing a milling machine, and a lathe, and maybe a thickness planer, to build maybe four guns.
 Now I’m on the hunt for some good old tools, that’s partially your fault, but I already had the bug. I had some old tools passed down to me from my grandfather who was a violin maker in Austria. Unfortunately most of them were just about used up. I think he may have been required to make most of them.
 Keep up the good work, and don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge.

Hungry Horse

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2024, 12:12:14 AM »
Regarding the “mistake” in the lettering, I’d say Curtis is in very good company with one of the best engravers of the 20th century. John , known as Jack Sumner was an independent engraver that engraved alongside Harry Kell in England. Jack did engraving for many of the leading British gunmakers of the time, fortunately some of his records survived, in this case shown below is correspondence from Dickson’s of Edinburgh to Jack Sumner.
“If you never screwed up you have never done anything”
Cheers Richard

Offline snapper

« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2024, 02:37:27 AM »
Curtis

Can't believe you made that mistake.  You must be from Missouri?    That it explains it.

Show Me!

Shameful.

Tell your better half hello.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill