Author Topic: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build - Pics of Finished Rifle Added  (Read 16864 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2024, 07:47:26 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!  Well, except for Snapper that is.  8) 

Horse, the old tools are hard to beat in my opinion!  Those from your grandfather must be a real treasure, even if they are about worn out.

Flatsguide, I'm glad I have good company in the mistakes world!

Now back to Snapper - I'm starting to thing maybe I was "borned" in Iowa....   ;D   And the wife says Hello right back at ya!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2024, 08:06:52 AM »
Some notes on the wood finish

I already mentioned the staining process in an earlier post.  I think I forgot to mention that for the most part I hand scraped the stock, with a few exceptions where the grain just wouldn't cooperate.

I started with Traditional Oil Stock Finish from Jim Chambers Flintlocks, five applications of it.  For the first 2 coats I diluted the Chambers oil about 50-50 with turpentine for deeper penetration, and added added several drops of aniline dye - 3 colors - Laurel Mountain Forge brand Maple, Cherry, and Nut Brown. The third coat I thinned it about 25% (no dyes added for the remaining coats), the 4th and 5th I put on full thickness.  All the coats were applied with a small pad of grey Scotchbrite. 

The next couple of coats I used is some stuff I picked up at a gun show about 15 years ago called Arrow Wood Finish - I applied it with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, both coats, sanding and blending with the Chambers oil.  Then I hand rubbed 3 more coats of the same stuff, using tiny amounts dotted on the stock with my finger, rubbed with my fingers and then rubbed with my palm.  I really like this stuff, and the best part is the fluid in the bottle is still just like the day I purchased it.

Lastly, I used S.B. McWilliams Alkanet Root Oil finish for so far 2 coats of tiny amount applied and hand rubbed the same as the previous finish.  I will probably use 4 coats of that total, but it takes 2-3 days or more to dry enough between coats.

I will post pictures when "finished with the finish".

Thanks for looking,
Curtis

Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2024, 08:14:51 AM »
In the metal browning post I said I would add some photos showing the barrel finish, here are a few.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2024, 07:40:34 AM »
I have another coat or two of S.B. McWilliams Alkanet Root Oil finish to apply yet, but I thought I would post some photos I tool while the rifle was sitting in the sunshine to help cure the finish.

Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2024, 08:09:31 AM »
FAITH has been RESTORED!!!

Well perhaps not entirely.....  I experimented with several method of fixing the issue.

I originally had 3 ideas I liked: A) drill out  part of the errant letters, countersink both sides of the hole, and peen in a scrap piece of metal, file down, engrave and re-brown. I kept the cutoff [pieces from the box so the "rivet"would be from the same material.  B) Make some thin coin silver overlays, solder or mechanically attach over the top two words (separately) then re-engrave. or C) engrave a wavy banner or flag around each of the top two words, and on the "faith" word, have the edge of the banner curve up to the bottom of the errant "I" thus obscuring it and making it a "T", recut the top of the "T" a bit bolder, and make the errant "t" into an "I".

Then I thought of another idea the late Jerry Huddleston posted as a fix for another (but similar enough) problem, and that was to cut a groove and planish in a piece of soft iron wire like a metal on metal inlay.  I liked that idea a lot, but in my experiments it stayed in place nicely if I engraved across the inlay, but engraving lengthwise made the inlay want to shift out, primarily because it was so tiny and didn't have a lot of holding power.

Drilling some small holes as in option A) worked really well in my tests on scraps, but filing and sanding the patched in metal down without greatly disturbing the browned finish around the patch proved problematic.  So I went with option C) , the safest fix and also done in "a workmanlike manner".

My friend Hank had a great idea of planishing from the back to obliterate the engraving (in the manner of repoussé ) and re-do it.  That could have been a great way to solve the problem if the box lid had not been fitted and browned already.

Now for before and after photos... IMHO if you know what the original mistake was, the fix is a bit obvious looking.  If you had never previously seen the engraving, one would likely think that I made a mistake and got too close to the lettering with my banner, and my lettering is merely not the best.

To match the new engraving to the browned finish I heated the steel with a torch until water would just sizzle, dipped a toothpick into undiluted Brownell's Rust Blue and applied it to the cuts.  Then I followed with the same heat but dipped the toothpick in Birchwood Casey's Cold Blue.  I let things rust for a couple of hours and carded with a steel carding brush and a brown paper bag.  I neutralized with ammonia, washed with dish soap and oiled the metal when done.

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2024, 03:23:57 PM »
Great fix.

No doubt that you would figure it out.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2024, 06:37:15 AM »
Thanks Fleener!  I really appreciate you having fatith faith in my ability to fix it!   ;)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2024, 06:42:42 AM »
Thumbs up!
Cheers Richard

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2024, 06:52:09 AM »
For this rifle I wanted the ramrod to have a "beefy" appearance, so I chose to start with a 7/16" piece of hickory, smoothly tapered to just 1/4" at the opposite end.  A ramrod scraper similar to one Tom Curran used to make (sadly Tom is no longer with us) can be fashioned from a rectangle of steel with reasonable ease.  This type of ramrod scraper generally does well, but with some pieces of wood can cause a lot of tear out.

One method of tapering I have come to like a great deal is by using a small plane to shave the rod to shape.  It goes rather quickly once you get the technique down. Just hold the plane in one hand, pressing the rod against the bottom of the plane. and quickly draw the rod back and forth with the other hand, rotating the rod as you do so.

Thanks for looking,
Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2024, 06:53:10 AM »
Thumbs up!
Cheers Richard

Thanks Richard!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2024, 06:55:08 AM »
I also wanted to mention, in case anyone would like to see and/or handle the rifle, I will have it at my table in Lexington at the CLA show.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2024, 02:20:10 PM »
I also wanted to mention, in case anyone would like to see and/or handle the rifle, I will have it at my table in Lexington at the CLA show.

Curtis

Curtis it was a pleasure to meet you and see this rifle at the CLA show! What the pictures can never show is just how well this rifle handles and feels holding it. Thank you for taking the time to detail how you built this remarkable gun and then having it available to see in person at a top event like CLA. Well done on all counts!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2024, 08:26:26 AM »
Thank you Dan!  It was great to meet you as well, and to put a face with a name!!  I enjoyed our conversation.

I hope to get some overall and detail photos of the rifle soon, as well as to shoot a few groups.  I will post the pics here and the groups in the shooting forum.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2024, 05:29:52 PM »
I dunno why I misspelled Guard on the horn I was scrimshawing “Gaurd” and just left it in disgust.  But glad you got this fixed. The trick is not in not making mistakes. Its being able to FIX or at least camouflage the mistakes… And I have fixed and/or hid some dandys over the years.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2024, 05:46:46 PM »
Nice job on the rod hole. I cut the stock to size as well. Just did one on a 1/2 stock Hawken blank as a demo at the Montana Historical Gunmakers Fair. People thought I was brave drilling it with that thin web over the hole. It came out dead center right to left but I aimed it a little too high (tapered barrel) so the web at the breech is about .150”,  less than ideal but if the underlugs don’t clear the rod I will scrape it a little lower in the stock. THEN, after putting on the rib etc., sawing it out and drilling the hole I realized I was making a 1/2 stock Hawken next. So ordered some more parts and today I will make the buttplate I hope. Maybe make the underlugs. Dang it I shoulda ordered slotted keys too..

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2024, 05:55:12 PM »
Besides the rod hole its a really nice “Mountain Rifle” BTW.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2024, 01:33:44 AM »
Good job Curtis! You ARE the man.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2024, 07:40:01 AM »
I dunno why I misspelled Guard on the horn I was scrimshawing “Gaurd” and just left it in disgust.  But glad you got this fixed. The trick is not in not making mistakes. Its being able to FIX or at least camouflage the mistakes… And I have fixed and/or hid some dandys over the years.

I appreciate that info, I don't feel so alone now!  And thanks for your other comments as well, Dan.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2024, 07:41:00 AM »
And thank you too, Daryl!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2024, 04:50:52 PM »
Curtis, beautiful rifle. Could we see pictures of the full length on both sides, please?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2024, 05:50:54 PM »
Curtis, beautiful rifle. Could we see pictures of the full length on both sides, please?

Haven't taken the overall photos yet, I will post them as soon as I do.  I plan on shooting it today to see how it groups....

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2024, 07:20:38 AM »
I had a little free time, and the day was fairly overcast, so I took advantage of both and got some photos of the finished rifle - including some full length photos. 

Thanks for Looking!!!!!
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Hawken-esque Plains Rifle Build - Pics of Finished Rifle Added
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2024, 09:14:16 AM »
Curtis,
I have never cared much for Hawken rifles, to each his own, but I really like your rifle! I suspect your son-in-law will enjoy owing it and it will quickly become a cherished family heirloom! Thanks for taking the time to photo and describe the build. Great job!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2024, 02:11:11 PM »
Stunning rifle! I’ve really enjoyed following along on this thread, great craftsmanship!

Tony

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2024, 02:14:06 PM »
Great job on that rifle Curtis! Impeccable inletting, really nice engraving, like the rope borders and a tack driver too. I can see that rifle cared for for hundreds of years…cool beans!
Cheers Richard