General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Letting other shoot their rifles

(1/7) > >>

nemovir:
Had 3 guys come over and requested to shoot my .40. Advice I had no problem and let all shoot one.  They all shot pretty well at 25 yards.  Gave them the target as a keepsake.  They said they never seen one in the wild and had some questions.  They seem please with it.  Hopefully they will join us.

rich pierce:
At my local range I ask other shooters if they want to try a flintlock. They all enjoy it and some ask me to take a picture with their phone.

J.M.Browning:
I had a friend over to the house he shot the 100 yard range really smiled the the ball hit the paper & made a ding tone in the bullet trap. I think he felt very comfortable not being a shooter & not feeling concerned about some moron  at a gun club - public range , I really try to promote shooting - especially to non shooters . In my subjective opinion I find new shooter's  seem less intimidated with muzzle loaders & the aspect of loading the firearm adds a thrilling aspect for a new shooter .

Disclaimer : Although I'm new & have been well informed I absolutely know nothing of such or one thing of another - I can't tell you in my old age the joy of the smile I see when someone new loads the rifle and pulls the trigger !

Habu:
For around a decade I've been doing an "Intro to Flintlocks" class periodically, for folks who've never shot one before (and often, have never fired a gun before).  Depending on the number of shooters, it can last a couple of hours or half a day; I demonstrate each step in loading and firing, answer questions, repeat til they have the general idea, then they shoot (at least) five shots on paper.  When we have time, we'll shoot at a gong too.  It is usually a load of fun, particularly if the shooters are mostly kids. 

The first 1,100 or so shot with my personal rifle.  In hindsight this was a bad plan for a couple reasons.  My rifle was stocked for my oversized carcass and monkey-like arms: too long for kids, and the argument often came up that they couldn't do as well with a production rifle.  It also put a lot of wear and abuse on my rifle, which is now in the queue to be re-stocked.   

Last year I picked up a kit and put it together, just to have a production rifle to use.  The rifle is also of more-standard dimensions (roughly 13 1/2" pull) which helps a lot.  After more than 100 shooters fired the new rifle last year, it seems to have been a reasonably good decision. 

Eric Krewson:
I have a friend that works at the local Dick's Sporting Goods who sends me people that come by the store that are interested in traditional archery or flintlocks and don't where to start.

I make bow strings for some of them, some I teach to shoot. I have to size people up, I only offer advice to crack head looking ones and don't invite them into my shop. If I have friends in common with someone, I will show them my flintlock rifles and bows and let them shoot them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version