Author Topic: Sketching for a Woodsrunner build  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
Sketching for a Woodsrunner build
« on: March 20, 2024, 02:08:59 AM »
Hi all, I’ve got a Kibler Woodsrunner in the shop to build for a friend and am trying to plan out some carving.

I’ve been studying some of the builds on the forum and others I’ve been able to see in person.

Using all of this for reference I’ve laid out the sketches below and am open to critique. I’m planning on keeping it simple with carved lines and some relief as needed.

Thank you for your time

Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Sketching for a Woodsrunner build
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 02:58:08 AM »
Hi Ethan,
That would work very well.  It is simple, consistent for the gun and looks great.  My only suggestion is to have the lower butt stock molding line terminate much less abruptly.  Have it fade out gradually and much closer to the trigger.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 07:39:19 PM »
Thank you Dave! I’ll make adjustments. Much appreciated

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 07:51:21 PM »
Ethan:  As a side note to assembling the Kibbler kit - when you install the cross pins for the barrel make sure that the holes in the barrel lugs are slotted slightly to the rear. This will allow the stock to shrink backwards if it wants to as the stock wood dries out. Even though the wood is kiln dried it can still shrink slightly over time.  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 08:26:47 PM »
You can always tell the artist in the group. LOL I like this a lot. Simple but yet it will set it apart from all the others. Nice planning Ethan.
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 04:00:08 PM »
You can always tell the artist in the group. LOL I like this a lot. Simple but yet it will set it apart from all the others. Nice planning Ethan.

Thank you, paper is one thing, we will see about wood  :o

Ethan:  As a side note to assembling the Kibbler kit - when you install the cross pins for the barrel make sure that the holes in the barrel lugs are slotted slightly to the rear. This will allow the stock to shrink backwards if it wants to as the stock wood dries out. Even though the wood is kiln dried it can still shrink slightly over time.  Hugh Toenjes

Thanks Hugh, thankfully Mr. Kibler ships the lugs slotted on this one. Pretty wild.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 08:29:07 PM »
Subtle and somewhat minimalist carving appeals to me much more than even a masterful but overwhelming job.  You can always add but you can not always take away.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline duca

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 12:10:50 AM »
I like it
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 05:42:18 AM »
Simple, incise carvings like you designed for the butt can add a lot to the piece.  The carving behind the tang looks like it will be a bit trickier. Keep us posted!

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 02:27:48 PM »
Simple, incise carvings like you designed for the butt can add a lot to the piece.  The carving behind the tang looks like it will be a bit trickier. Keep us posted!

Thank you Bob. Finished my second round of scraping yesterday. Laying this out on the stock soon.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 11:50:34 PM »
Letting it simmer here tonight. Be about time to make something permanent here soon

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 04:35:19 AM »
Everything looks like it will carve well. Nothing looks terribly difficult in terms on reachable with tools. The butt carvings should be very easy to clean with nice sharp scrapers. Looking forward to seeing it carved, Ethan! Make it permanent!
-Robert Hill

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 02:44:36 PM »
On the scroll at the rear of the cheek piece, it looks like the radius is longer at 12 o’clock than it is at 9. Maybe this is intentional.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 04:18:38 PM »
On the scroll at the rear of the cheek piece, it looks like the radius is longer at 12 o’clock than it is at 9. Maybe this is intentional.
I was thinking the same thing, the hump at 10 o'clock looks awkward and does not flow well from into the volute.    It looks too mechanical and not organic enough.  My 2 cents worth.
David

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 05:58:57 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, the hump at 10 o'clock looks awkward and does not flow well from into the volute.    It looks too mechanical and not organic enough.  My 2 cents worth.
David

Thank you both!!

Everything looks like it will carve well. Nothing looks terribly difficult in terms on reachable with tools. The butt carvings should be very easy to clean with nice sharp scrapers. Looking forward to seeing it carved, Ethan! Make it permanent!
-Robert Hill

Putting on  flight goggles lol

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 01:02:21 AM »
Are you doing video for it?

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 04:43:45 PM »
PS; Did you start practicing on a block of similar wood? (Kibler offers them)
Drawing and carving are not the same 😉

Offline mountainman

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 06:08:55 PM »
David
I would agree it looks like the curve is too high, the lower curve line that was erased would seem to flow better.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 08:35:41 PM »
Agreeing whole heartedly with mountainman. It more perfectly matches the drawing ahead of the cheek piece as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 11:26:11 PM »
A trick for any drawing.......draw it out and hold it up to the mirror.  Any error will jump out at you.  I was told that what it does is double the actual error, so you really see it.  Hope this helps.   Best wishes,   Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 12:56:47 AM »
For the moulding line along the bottom edge of the buttstock, personally, I like it to be wider at the buttplate and grow narrower toward the trigger, terminating a little less abruptly.  If it were mine, I'd likely start out at the buttplate at about 5/16 to 3/8" wide tapering it down evenly to a little over 1/8" and then flaring out.  But it is a personal choice. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.