Author Topic: Fowler trigger guard problem  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Maurice

Fowler trigger guard problem
« on: March 22, 2024, 04:21:32 PM »
My pinned trigger guard broke loose from its seated tabs in the stock. This steel trigger guard had some spring to it – it did not fit flush against the stock and needed pressure to seat the tabs in the tab mortices before pinning. (See my post about this nightmare guard on June 18, 2023 “Bending a cast steel trigger guard.”)

The tabs (which are brass) broke loose overnight (pinned 8 hours earlier). My guess is faulty cold soldered tabs based on the visible tab surfaces remaining in the stock. Bending the steel guard any more was too risky based on my research.

Will properly soldered tabs hold? Or should the tabs be brazed on? Any other solutions or suggestions? The gun is 90% complete.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Fowler trigger guard problem
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 04:58:21 PM »
If heat and bend that guard till it lies in place with zero spring. Then soldered tabs will be fine.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 07:21:26 PM »
As Rich said, as well, then use coil solder, not paste. My only experience with solder paste, was that there wasn't enough actual solder in the paste I bought.
That was back in the 70's - so maybe it is better now?
I would still use a coil of silver bearing soft solder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 08:48:39 PM »
Silver braze would be my go-to for this.  Nothing easier or better.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 10:09:13 PM »
I'm with Jim...silver solder (red heat).  File away all of the remaining solder and lug material from the guard in both locations, make new tabs out of either brass of steel, and silver solder to the guard.  A little inletting may be required.  When it is all flush and nice, re-drill through the existing holes, and Bob's your father's brother.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 07:09:47 AM »
I also agree, silver solder is the way to go. You can make tabs out of mild steel, good luck getting them lined up and soldered to fit the existing holes, there are various things you could do to get that right.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 04:47:33 PM »
I almost missed the lug on my fowler trigger guard and decided to add another lug and redrill.

I use solder paste for almost everything and have never had it turn loose. I did bend the trigger guard to be free floating in the correct position with no spring back.

My new lug, I made the gun over 10 years ago, no problem with the lug so far,

« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 04:55:54 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Maurice

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 05:35:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice on securing the tabs.

I still want to take the springiness out of the guard so it conforms more to the stock.

Rather than risk heating and bending, how about cutting the guard where indicated by the line and then joining the separate pieces. Seems like I have a little more control over the final result doing this.

Doable or Bad Idea? Cut at a different location? Consequences?

How best to join the 2 pieces? Solder or braze? Does it matter?

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 06:06:56 PM »
I have had to do some bending on every project I have ever done.  I suppose it's possible, but I have never broken one?
Heat and anneal, and go slow, that's all I've ever done.
Of course there are others far more experienced in this matter that could over rule me??

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 08:54:30 PM »
I wouldn't cut unless you have a bunch of experience making trigger guards from scratch, joining the pieces back together isn't as simple as it may seem.

Bend it, I cold forged mine but the metal was so hard that a file would barely touch it. My butt plate was made from the same metal, when I couldn't get the toe to fit after weeks of work, I heated the toe of it red hot and smacked it with a hammer, perfect fit.

Worst case scenario, you break something and have to order another trigger guard, I have done that time or two on different gun parts, usually a nose cap.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 06:42:52 PM »
If it was mine and I did not want to heat and bend that trigger guard, I would braze or silver braze steel tabs on it. Here is a good article on silver brazing <https://www.dodomachine.com/silver-brazing-a-guide-to-joining-metal-parts-with-silver-based-alloys/>
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 07:27:48 PM »
Get a MAPP torch and heat the guard to bend it to the shape that is needed so you do not have any spring in the trigger guard. It should fit the bottom of the stock profile without any use of force. You will have to heat it and bend it in a couple of places to make it fit the profile. Steel guards are a little harder to do for this reason, they don't bend like a good brass guard will. I bend these while I have the heat on the piece. I find that this make the bending a lot easier. Make small adjustments. I use a set of vise grips to hold the guard while heating and a heavy set of needle nosed plyers at heat point. You can use a vice to hold the part if needed but most of the time the vice grips works.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Chunker119

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 05:37:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice on securing the tabs.

I still want to take the springiness out of the guard so it conforms more to the stock.

Rather than risk heating and bending, how about cutting the guard where indicated by the line and then joining the separate pieces. Seems like I have a little more control over the final result doing this.

Doable or Bad Idea? Cut at a different location? Consequences?

How best to join the 2 pieces? Solder or braze? Does it matter?

Maurice,

I don't really see much risk to heating and bending it to the correct shape. Fair easier than cutting the guard in half and trying to refit it and put it back together.

Heat needed to bend the guard shouldn't be much more that blushing red. Propane torch is all you will need. Then I would silver braze the tabs once bent.

Best of luck!
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 12:53:01 AM »
Steel is meant to be heated and bent. That will take less time than reading this thread.

Offline Maurice

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 05:37:07 PM »
The problem has been solved – basically by following the heat and bend advice that was offered.

Made a jig (foreground) from a 1/2” thick board that followed the profile of the underside of the stock trigger guard area to prevent over bending. I heated the guard (using propane) at the curve to the right of the blue line to a barely noticeably red and clamped it in the jig to slowly cool. Did this 3 times.

After a day the guard fits very well and I do not see it returning to the problem position (it did when cold bent). I will be soldering the tabs next based on the other advice offered.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer advice.  Thought you should know the end result.

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 07:08:10 PM »
nice

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 07:45:52 PM »
Heat the entire part to cherry and cool slowly. Bury in a bucket of ashes if you have them. The braze a piec on for the tab. Hard sliver solder is distant second choice. I have a wire welder for such things.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 07:47:35 PM »
Oops. Insert bend to match the stock.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 05:33:44 PM »
Great job, I am glad you listened to all the good advice that was given. Good luck with the rest of your project.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"