General discussion > Gun Building

Fowler trigger guard problem

(1/4) > >>

Maurice:
My pinned trigger guard broke loose from its seated tabs in the stock. This steel trigger guard had some spring to it – it did not fit flush against the stock and needed pressure to seat the tabs in the tab mortices before pinning. (See my post about this nightmare guard on June 18, 2023 “Bending a cast steel trigger guard.”)

The tabs (which are brass) broke loose overnight (pinned 8 hours earlier). My guess is faulty cold soldered tabs based on the visible tab surfaces remaining in the stock. Bending the steel guard any more was too risky based on my research.

Will properly soldered tabs hold? Or should the tabs be brazed on? Any other solutions or suggestions? The gun is 90% complete.

rich pierce:
If heat and bend that guard till it lies in place with zero spring. Then soldered tabs will be fine.

Daryl:
As Rich said, as well, then use coil solder, not paste. My only experience with solder paste, was that there wasn't enough actual solder in the paste I bought.
That was back in the 70's - so maybe it is better now?
I would still use a coil of silver bearing soft solder.

Jim Kibler:
Silver braze would be my go-to for this.  Nothing easier or better.

D. Taylor Sapergia:
I'm with Jim...silver solder (red heat).  File away all of the remaining solder and lug material from the guard in both locations, make new tabs out of either brass of steel, and silver solder to the guard.  A little inletting may be required.  When it is all flush and nice, re-drill through the existing holes, and Bob's your father's brother.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version