General discussion > Gun Building

TRS Lock Photos

(1/3) > >>

Shawrco:
Good evening,
Since the TRS online catalog no longer has photos of their locks or castings does anyone happen to have a picture or two of TRS locks, specifically pictures of TRS #653 and/or #657 (front and back would be great!). I’m just getting started on a #653 (was sold to me as). My approach is going to be to true up the tumbler shank and fit to lock plate and use that as 0/0 to get the bridle/sear located, then the rest of the parts. The original that this lock was cast from had engraving on it and it appears all the screws (except frizzen and frizzen spring) go in blind holes. Mr Jesse told me the only shadow holes that may be off are the mainspring due to a different shrink rate of the spring steel compared to the 4140 on the lock plate. I will gladly accept any advice, suggestions, or experiences from anyone who has assembled one of these Paul Poser locks. Thanks in advance.
Joe B

wogden:

Here are some pics of the lock assembled by The Rifle Shoppe(Don’t ask how long delivery took).  Also, Taylor Sapergia did a post on this site in Nov. 2007 with pictures of one of these rifles he assembled which included very helpful info on assembling the set triggers.  Best of luck with your build. 

Scota4570:
I assembled one of the TRS baker locks.  I will do no more.

Start with the assumption that nothing is ready to go as supplied.  The tumbler and sear probably need to replaced and made from scratch.  Trust none of the cast indications of where holes go. 

Send the frizzen to Jess to be hardened.  I could not get mine to spark.   He has a way to make the alloy spark. 

Basically treat the castings as a head start that may, or may not, save time over maching the whole thing from scratch.  The castings are all undersized due to shrinkage from impression to wax to casting.  For instance the foot of the frizzen is a sloppy fit in the plate as received.  I cleaned up both surfaces and pinched the assembly in a vice to take out the slop.  Then I drilled for the screw.   

I have a good lathe and milling machine.  I do this work as a 1950s machinist would approach it.  I can not imagine doing this without machine tools.  You will also need a reamer for the tumbler hole in the plate and some way to positively line up the tumbler and bridle.  Also good drill bits and good taps/dies. 

I had two identical TRS locks, one preassembled, one as a casting set.  The one I made from castings was far better than the one supplied as assembled.  That is based on fit, finish, tolerances and function. 

I have an old lathe and milling machine.  I can not imagine doing this without those tools.  You will also need a reamer for the tumbler hole in the plate and some way to positively line up the tumbler and bridle.  I know it has been done with a drill press and files.  I would not attempt that.  I guess individual expectations for fit and function would determine what is good enough. 

Shawrco:

--- Quote from: wogden on March 23, 2024, 06:50:31 PM ---
Here are some pics of the lock assembled by The Rifle Shoppe(Don’t ask how long delivery took).  Also, Taylor Sapergia did a post on this site in Nov. 2007 with pictures of one of these rifles he assembled which included very helpful info on assembling the set triggers.  Best of luck with your build.

--- End quote ---
Thank you Mr Ogden! I’ve learned a good deal just from seeing the lock assembled. I don’t think I have the screw for the bolster/pan section in my screw set, or is that something you added? I was also wondering about the other long lock plate screw; looks like there’s one in front too. I searched for Mr Sapergia’s posts on the subject but apparently we can only access back to 2008. Again, thanks for posting the photos, very helpful.
Joe B

Shawrco:

--- Quote from: Scota4570 on March 23, 2024, 10:39:21 PM ---I assembled one of the TRS baker locks.  I will do no more.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the comments @Scota4570. I was definitely expecting this project to be a challenge. You have provided some great insight and areas of caution to be aware of. Even though the castings are undersized I see proof that they can be assembled into a nice looking and hopefully functional lock. I do have a lathe, but only a round column Jet mill/drill for machines but that’s a help. I’m looking forward to getting started on the project.
Joe B

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version