Author Topic: Dupont 25 Pound Black Powder Metal Keg - How Old?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Dupont 25 Pound Black Powder Metal Keg - How Old?
« on: March 24, 2024, 07:12:39 AM »
I was going through a flea market type antique shop with my wife today, and back in a corner was a large, black Dupont powder keg that seems rather new, but since it was for black powder, I was wondering how old it was, and if it was for mining, or perhaps for shooting. If anyone knows more about this type metal keg, I'd appreciate knowing. And no, I didn't pick it up, since I don't know how old it is, and its paint and condition look rather new. The keg's dimensions were about 16" tall by about 8" wide, eye-balling it. And yes, I take pretty good pictures of my shoes.

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 07:16:06 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Dupont 25 Pound Black Powder Metal Keg - How Old?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 02:44:26 PM »
I have the same one. It came out of a mining collection. I’ll look for a date on it and let you know
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline flinter49

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 04:18:09 PM »
Back in the day, Blackpowder distributors offered blackpowder in kegs at a discount prize. Which was a great deal if you had a few cans laying around. Which I did. The last 25# keg I bought was in the early 1980's from a guy in Indiana.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 05:01:20 PM »
The keg is marked ICC  So it is sometime after they begin to regulate the sale of black powder.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 11:55:59 PM »
I last saw powder in cans like that about '81.  I got a "really good deal" on 25# of powder, and a keg like this showed up instead of the cans I was expecting.  The can looked like this, with a paper label pasted on the side. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 08:04:15 AM »
I have one from the Giant powder works in Berkeley California that quit doing business under that name about 1913. It’s not rifle powder it’s 3FA blasting powder. But when I got it was about half full, but I used most of it in my cannon before I sold it. I also used quite a bit of it in my trade gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 09:32:36 AM »
Well, if anyone is interested in this black metal keg, it's at the Angola [Indiana] Antique Mall on the west side of the town square, main floor all the way back in room on the left side... hidden in the corner of an over-loaded, mostly junky booth. Price is on the tag in the first picture, and usually they'll dicker a little if you ask. Actually, it's not a bad mall... once every three years I find something interesting there.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Howard

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 07:46:48 PM »
I purchased a keg full in 1969 and it is about identical.  It was $25.00 American and full of 3F powder.