General discussion > Gun Building

Best Beech stock substitute.

(1/3) > >>

Clark Badgett:
What wood would you master builders consider to be the best beech wood substitute for a stock?

Rolf:
I know the Norwegian army used a lot of birch for pistol and rifle stocks when beech was not available.
I plan to use birch on the 1772 flintlock pistols I'm building.

Best regards
Rof

Habu:
If you want beech, use beech.  You might have to look around to find a supplier, but it is available. 

Mike Brooks:

--- Quote from: Habu on March 25, 2024, 05:04:27 AM ---If you want beech, use beech.  You might have to look around to find a supplier, but it is available.

--- End quote ---
For some reason it's impossible to find beech in the USA cut into planks thick enough for gunstocks. I was able to get some from Dunlap years ago but once he ran out that was it. I had somebody PM me with some but he wanted an incredible amount of money I was unwilling to pay. So, I just went back to using walnut for my trade guns.

Habu:
Beech has a lot of issues with checking and movement when drying.  Given marketability in the US, it usually isn't profitable to cut, steam, and kiln dry thicker (>8/4) stock.  The same checking issues show up when air-drying.  Unless there is a specific buyer it usually isn't cut more than 10/4.

In the past I've had good results sourcing beech from folks who saw urban-grown trees, but that often means waiting until they have a beech.  Another source has been sawmills providing wood to the pallet-makers, though that can mean sorting through a semi-load of wood to find what will work for you.  Once in a while one of the lumber suppliers to the cabinet trade will have some on hand (I once got a very nice piece of Euro beech from Paxton: Q-sawn 12/4 S2S, 10"x8').  If I wanted it today I'd reach out to the folks supplying the people who are making wooden planes and ask for contact info for their sawmill.

I've got some 12/4 beech I sawed and stacked in the barn loft in 2005 or so, but I haven't looked at it since then.  Don't recall if any pieces would be suitable for stocks. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version