Author Topic: Lock ID?  (Read 625 times)

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
Lock ID?
« on: March 25, 2024, 08:23:47 PM »
Howdy all,

Was looking for a lock to fit my Kibler practice stock (to practice fitting one) and picked one up for $100 on eBay. No idea on make. Works just fine it appears. Obviously doesn’t fit precisely where the Kibler lock would fit but I’m game to work on it. Worst case scenario I get in in letting practice and it doesn’t work. Anyway - anyone have any idea what lock this is?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Lock ID?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 10:16:41 PM »
 It’s a restyled Dixie F1 flintlock. The internals are pretty much mush, but the frizzen is a good starting place if you’re making a frizzen for a small lock that has a case hardened frizzen that has died.

Hungry Horse

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 10:25:59 PM »
Design is a real mishmash. Germanic pan, rounded tail, and so on. Does it have a fly?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 12:04:31 AM »
 Unless somebody has added a fly after the fact, it does not have one. Actually the tumbler in this lock isn’t even supported by the bridle. There are no cast parts on the original lock, they are all milled.

Hungry Horse

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 12:21:08 AM »
So what do those things mean for my use of this? I’m asking because I’ve never even seen a flintlock fired except maybe during a reenactment. I picked this up so I can take it apart and learn how they work. If I can shoehorn it into this carving stock I’ll do that too.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 12:43:54 AM »
It’s suitable for an inexpensive utilitarian gun if it’s a reliable sparker. It’s hard to say whether it fits into a historical style.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 12:47:55 AM »
 It will be nothing but trouble if you shoot it much. But don’t throw away the frizzen because it is the best fix for a small flintlock that needs a quality frizzen.

Hungry Horse

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 06:47:29 PM »
I made locks for decades and a lock with a tumbler that is not supported on both sides can't last long.The tumbler is the part that the hammer is fastened to and it comes thru the plate and there must be a smaller shaft coming thru the bridle.The idea of saving the frizzen may be a good one if it is hard enough to produce a hot spark.Continuous use of this style of lock mechanism will create frustration.
This can be remedied by drilling a hole all the way through the tumbler and the bridle with a drill bit that is smaller than the threads that hold the hammer screw and then putting in a smooth shaft that barely comes thru the bridle.  I made this repair on several of these locks but that was over 60 years ago and should be considered as temporary and not for long use.
Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 10:59:21 PM »
Good afternoon. Are you in WV?
I'm in Charleston and can help you
Dave

Offline wvcruffler

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 03:18:47 AM »