General discussion > Gun Building

Lock ID?

(1/2) > >>

wvcruffler:
Howdy all,

Was looking for a lock to fit my Kibler practice stock (to practice fitting one) and picked one up for $100 on eBay. No idea on make. Works just fine it appears. Obviously doesn’t fit precisely where the Kibler lock would fit but I’m game to work on it. Worst case scenario I get in in letting practice and it doesn’t work. Anyway - anyone have any idea what lock this is?

Hungry Horse:
 It’s a restyled Dixie F1 flintlock. The internals are pretty much mush, but the frizzen is a good starting place if you’re making a frizzen for a small lock that has a case hardened frizzen that has died.

Hungry Horse

rich pierce:
Design is a real mishmash. Germanic pan, rounded tail, and so on. Does it have a fly?

Hungry Horse:
 Unless somebody has added a fly after the fact, it does not have one. Actually the tumbler in this lock isn’t even supported by the bridle. There are no cast parts on the original lock, they are all milled.

Hungry Horse

wvcruffler:
So what do those things mean for my use of this? I’m asking because I’ve never even seen a flintlock fired except maybe during a reenactment. I picked this up so I can take it apart and learn how they work. If I can shoehorn it into this carving stock I’ll do that too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version