Author Topic: Barrel ID  (Read 447 times)

Offline Crow Creek

• Starting Member
Barrel ID
« on: March 27, 2024, 06:29:36 AM »
Picked this up a few years ago. It is new and unused and was told it is a Goodoien but not marked. Plug is fit and no markings on breech end. I have never seen one of his barrels, can anyone assist by reviewing photos? It has shallow grooves and is straight 1.25 x .50.
Thanks Tom

Tom

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever . . .

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Barrel ID
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 02:19:56 PM »
Look at the breech end, the face where the plug goes. If a Goodoien there should be letters and numbers there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 04:48:29 PM »
Over the years I have had 5 of Jim's barrels and at least 3 of those were stamped on the bottom flat IIRC.  His name and Blain, MN I think.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 10:55:58 PM »
The Goodoien barrel I bought from Track many years ago, was marked Jim Goodoien .40  seems to me. The rifling was about .010" deep with wide grooves and narrower lands.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:42:00 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Crow Creek

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 11:20:51 PM »
Thanks gents, has seven lands. The depth is approximately .015 but lands and grooves are close to equal. Nothing on breech end, plug is fit and could have been removed. While back I researched his barrels and found most had his name on side. Its a very nice barrel and I don’t have much in it so life is good! Appreciate the help. Tom
Tom

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever . . .

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 07:24:20 AM »
Could be from the old Montana Barrel CO.  They made good barrels and many were unmarked.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing