Author Topic: Gun Price Range  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
Re: Gun Price Range
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2024, 10:19:51 PM »
The Kindig and Shumway RCA books are great... BUT... they don't represent the vast majority of American longrifles in collections. Kindig was focused more on the high art rifles by the finest "golden age" makers, while Shumway was intrigued by the very earliest "Kentucky" rifles and how they developed. Unless you have deep pockets and don't mind a few costly mistakes along the way [most "reworked," questionable, or faked rifles are from these high-value categories]. I'd think you might be better served to pick up some of the books on the attractive, but not highest art, rifles that are in most collections, and learn from them. Jim Whisker's books, while having a few mixed-up guns at times, are still probably the best low-cost books to learn about the different states' gunmaking, the breadth of styles within those states, the different makers, etc. The lessons hurt a lot less on these more representative guns, and you really learn a lot more about what America's frontier rifles were all about. A lot of times the beat-up working rifles have a lot more American history... I like to think "soul"... in them than the finest "closet queens."

Shelby Gallien

Whisker is on the docket. Thanks.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Kindig book right now. I haven't even read far enough to get to the rifles, I'm just enjoying the history. And what Kindig couldn't possibly envision, I'm able to watch some video of exhibits to go along with the reading that really enhance the learning. The most fun you can have in an armchair.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2024, 05:28:50 AM »
The Kindig and Shumway RCA books are great... BUT... they don't represent the vast majority of American longrifles in collections. Kindig was focused more on the high art rifles by the finest "golden age" makers, while Shumway was intrigued by the very earliest "Kentucky" rifles and how they developed. Unless you have deep pockets and don't mind a few costly mistakes along the way [most "reworked," questionable, or faked rifles are from these high-value categories]. I'd think you might be better served to pick up some of the books on the attractive, but not highest art, rifles that are in most collections, and learn from them. Jim Whisker's books, while having a few mixed-up guns at times, are still probably the best low-cost books to learn about the different states' gunmaking, the breadth of styles within those states, the different makers, etc. The lessons hurt a lot less on these more representative guns, and you learn a lot more about what America's frontier rifles were all about. At times the well-used, beat-up working rifles have a lot more American history... I like to think "soul"... in them than the finest "closet queens."

Shelby Gallien
Spot on.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2024, 04:21:29 PM »
Here is a good start for an American Longrifle collector library.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/173522551_interesting-group-of-books-relating-to-kentucky

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2024, 05:39:41 PM »
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/173522551_interesting-group-of-books-relating-to-kentucky

Holy Christmas, that is a good start. Many thanks.

Offline RAT

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2024, 08:44:29 PM »
If you're interested in guns made in the state of Kentucky (specifically), I'd recommend the books Shelby himself wrote! They are a fantastic reference!
Bob

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 08:58:04 PM »
If you're interested in guns made in the state of Kentucky (specifically), I'd recommend the books Shelby himself wrote! They are a fantastic reference!

Well, I didn't not realize I was being helped by a scholar. Noted, and thank you Shelby. The stack grows larger.

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2024, 10:14:36 PM »

Just want to thank @Avlrc. I bought these books and look forward to reading them.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2024, 10:31:39 PM »
You are welcome. I'm glad you got them. I hope you have a lot of long candles  :). That's a great set of books. Did you get them in person or have them shipped? I bet the shipping bill was high, as books are heavy. Good Lord willing, we will see you at the WV Show in Martinsburg.

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2024, 10:38:41 PM »
You are welcome. I'm glad you got them. I hope you have a lot of long candles  :). That's a great set of books. Did you get them in person or have them shipped? I bet the shipping bill was high, as books are heavy. Good Lord willing, we will see you at the WV Show in Martinsburg.

No, I haven't seen the tab for shipping yet. It will be a doozy. As of now, I plan on being at the WV show, if only for a short time.