Author Topic: Alternatives to shell patterns on British fowlers  (Read 445 times)

Offline Lone Wolf

Alternatives to shell patterns on British fowlers
« on: April 09, 2024, 06:35:09 AM »
Hi Guys,

Are there any historically correct alternatives to the shell pattern found on many mid 18th century British fowlers behind the tang?  Most of the fowlers shown in Grinslades, the only reference book I have at my disposal, have either the ubiquitous shell pattern with side panel finials, or neither.  I'm looking for a simple pattern for the tang that would pair well with common side panel beaver tail finials.  Thanks.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Alternatives to shell patterns on British fowlers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 02:33:40 PM »
Hi,
The British were not a creative lot when it came to decoration.  There are a few guns I've seen that were carved with flower patterns.  A duck gun by Lewis Barbar has a beautiful leaf motif.  and the famous Turvey rifle in RCA 1 has  flowing leaves on either side of the comb.  However, those features were rare.  Perhaps James Rogers might have an example for you.  The rolling shell is a nice alternative to the most common symmetrical shell pattern.  It is a bit harder to carve.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 03:28:43 PM »
Early 18th century you will see more variation, L-W.

After that, the shell in its variations was pretty well it for a long time.
a bit later, say 1775 on, we see some differences, like occasional silver wire work instead of the shell.
Often though the silver work is in the fashion of a shell!
(I still have one by Wooley C 1780 to repair which has a silver wire shell.)

One thing though, the shell on better arms was normally beautifully done, and to my mind is the height of elegance.

Best.
R.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 06:02:28 PM »
I agree with the others that a 1750 English gun is typically going to be found with the classic shell. In that time however one may rarely find an earlier style tang carving that is more acanthus leaf in appearance than a shell. A few seem to exhibit hints of both.  Done well, they are extremely rare in 1750. If simple, they are found on lesser quality arms IMO. . Any further forward you won't see much of this at all.
A word on Grinslades.... I think there are only one  or two British guns pictured in that book so I would not use it as a resource on English guns. The author did create the term "British style" for some New York made guns that had similar looks of British waterfowling pieces.
Here is the 1755 Barbour duck gun carving

Here are a few earlier style options