Author Topic: Jaeger Stock  (Read 10588 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Jaeger Stock
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »
   Does anyone know of anyone who sells pre-carved stocks that would work well with a Jeager?    I have a new .54 barrel just begging to be used.   I don't want to buy a full length stock , the barrel is only 30in long and cutting off the excess seems like such a waste.  At the present time I don't think I'm ready to try carving one from a blank.

RICH

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Jaeger Stock
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »
Rich,

Troy Roope of Stonewall Creek Outfitters had a few last time I was IIRC.

Email outfitters@stonewallcreekoutfitters.com
Phone 434-993-3557

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
Is the barrel straight or swamped?  R E Davis sells Jaeger stocks as well.  You might also try Pecatonica River rifle supply.  If you send them the barrel they could inlet and pre-carve the stock.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
It all depends on the barrel, cause the stock are usually inlet for a specific Barrel Brand contour.  Nutherwords if it is a Jim Chambers English rifle barrel, it is not going to fit a TOW Jaeger stock.  If it is made for a Colerain, it may not fit one cut for a Rice or Green mountain. (Unless it is overcut or has gaps in the swamp)  Sometimes they are undercut so you have to fit them & in that instance you would be OK.

If you want one made FOR that particular barrel,call Pecatonica, or Fred Miller, or  Dave Rase, etc. Those guys have patterns & some of them will put your barrel in their pattern.

;)

Bob F

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
Dave Keck at Knob Mountain could do something for you as well.

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:42:38 PM »
Yes.. and he had some really nice stocks at the CLA show.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
   The barrel is stragiht the only distinguishing marks on it are nine stars around the bore, and what looks like two thin strips of metal inlayed into the flats about an inch from the end of the barrel.

RICH

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:44 AM »
Fred Miller has some jaeger patterns. Can inlet the bbl and contour the stock fur ya.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
Fred does a awesome job inletting barrels, and they do fit like a glove. I have several he has done.   ;)

I have a Jaeger  that Fred inlet & roughed out of his Jaeger pattern for me. Best I can tell it is pretty much like the pattern Davis uses.  The rifle as acquired the name  "Never", and a fitting name I thought.  ;D  It is in the white & ready to carve with exception to the fact I never got the nosecap on it , cause I never work on it, cause I never can make up my mind what I want to carve on it, as I never like what I have drawn on it, cause I know that no matter what I put on this gorgeous stock it will never do it justice, and it will never satisfy me, so I never leave it drawn on there, thus the fact I will never get the rifle finished...........  whew.... :-\  I think it has been in the white for 4 but possibly 5 years now, but I never can remember as I never wrote down the date I started it as it never seemed important at the time....................    :-[   Otherwise it never sees daylight other than I do get it out once a year & lube it well, bitch at myself real good, then put it back.

Oh, and  "Never II"  resides right beside it in a gorgeous Madrone Burl stock, and has all the symptoms that "Never" has, just a larger bore & dif. color stock.  I have all the parts for "Never III" in English walnut, but I never have time to start on it..........

BTW:  If you send it to someone to be shaped & inlet, ASK to insure insure your barrel will work, as most of these patterns will be set up for a swamped barrel & may not work with your straight barrel.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 04:15:22 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 04:41:41 PM »
There is something about jaegers. They have a hard time finishing themselves up.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
I believe that when Fred Miller & David Keck inlet a barrel,each barrel is fitted to that inlet specifically,not a "one size fits most" deal.

Alex
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Birddog6

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »
That is true on allot of the guys inletting barrels.  However, you must consider the pattern they use may call for a swamped barrel & with a straight barrel you may not have enough wood in the middle to allow for the straight barrel.  Thus why I suggest ya be sure to tell the inletting guy what barrel & etc.  I always send the barrel with the stock blank, as I want the barrel in there like a glove, not a generic "one size fits all" version.

Were it me, I would save the straight barrel for a dif. rifle & put a swamped barrel in the Jaeger rifle.  It will look & balance much better with a swamped barrel. IMHO

;)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
I agree with Birddog. This type of rifle really needs a swamped barrel. If you try one you'll probably never go back to a straight barrel unless you're a target shooter who likes a muzzle-heavy gun. Not me.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 01:01:31 AM »
There is something about jaegers. They have a hard time finishing themselves up.

I never finished the Jaeger I started in June of 1997 in Ron Ehlerts Jaeger class.  It sits in my over head only needing carving and staining.  Been that way since 1997.  I think about selling it then I think about finishing it since it is so close to done.  Keith has the never gun, never gun II and never gun III and I have my thinking mans gun.  See, this post made me think about it again.
DMR 

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:24 AM »
   Where do I find Fred Miller?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 02:09:27 AM »
1 570 922 1861

Fred Miller
4025 Red Ridge Rod.
Mifflinburg, PA 17844

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 03:33:14 AM »
  Thank you Acer

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
I built a Jaeger for my best friend back in the early 90s using one of Fred's pre-inlet & shaped stocks w/ a Getz .62 x 31" . It turned out great, and it is still his main shooter. If I could only find where I filed the photos I would post a pic or 2 for you to see.

revised: I'm talking about Fred Miller.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:58:45 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline rsells

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »
Fred has a web site "Harrison Gun Stocks", but you will have to call him.  The number he has on the web page is 731-742-2990.  He lives in Bradford, TN.
                                                                                       Roger Sells

dbraw

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »
I visited Tip Curtis up in Cross Plains, TN yesterday and bought a beautiful Jaeger pre-inlet stock. It is burl walnut and will make a lovely rifle. This one is going to be .62. Give him a call. His number is in Muzzle Blast or call at 615-654-4445.
Dan B

Offline t.caster

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »
Here are the pics I previously mentioned of the Jaeger built from a Fred Miller preshaped stock back in the early 90s.
This is not to take away from Tip or Harrison, as their stuff is top notch too!
This rifle was around 15 yrs. old when photographed after a long cold day of shooting...see the soot on the lock & barrel.

If not mistaken, I believe Fred supplied all the hardware on this one too.
Tom C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
...very nice looking rifle Tom.  Thanks for those shots.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.