General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Advise on wedding band and spout thickness

(1/3) > >>

Blackthorn:
I am working on this horn and have shaped out the spout and wedding bands.  I’m not sure if they are too large.  Should I make them in a tighter diameter by filing them down and rounding them over again?

JH Ehlers:
Hello Blackthorn, I am by no means a professional horn maker, just some of my thoughts. Google metmuseum powder horn, look at horns on contemporary makers blog or books etc. There are many pictures online. I am assuming yours is a f&i period horn. Copy what you see. The spouts are slim, one horn at met museum has a piece broken from the tip and you can see how thin it is.

Tim Crosby:
  It is kind of hard to tell from the Pic but it looks to me like the horn itself could be slimmed down some. If you decide to just leave the rings and very tip as they are for now, they can be trimmed down to later. You see originals with square edges as well as rounded even at the step down from the body, some of that may come from age/use. One thing I have found is that if you leave the inter rings where the strap will go square it makes it easier to keep the strap in place. If rounded the strap may slide off.
 Your proportions on what you have look right just needs to be thinned. Looks like you are headed to a good looking horn. Can you post a Pic where the horn is farther away, laying on a table maybe?

Thanks, Tim C.

John Proud:
I like the spout reduced to about .550-.600 before I start the engrail line or "rings". The entire horn is shaped to flow evenly to that spout dimension before I start the spout"architecture".
I hope this is of some help.

And where did you get that reamer of the work bench? I can use a new one if I can find the taper I like. I taper all my spout holes.

John

Blackthorn:
Photos as requested by Mr Crosby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version