Author Topic: Drilling for the hinge pin on coffin lid patchbox  (Read 678 times)

Offline KShatwell

• Starting Member
Drilling for the hinge pin on coffin lid patchbox
« on: April 14, 2024, 08:16:30 PM »
Would like the forum expertise on how to drill the pin hole for such a long hinge.  I do know the original pin was larger than 1/16.  My first thought was to drill thru each of the outer hinges and then partially into the  center hinge. Probably not the right way to go .Anyway thanks to one and all for any guidance you can provide.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Drilling for the hinge pin on coffin lid patchbox
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 04:44:17 PM »
I solder the lid to the base. I use a 1/8" pin and use a centering jig on my drill press. I can drill part way through on one end then I switch and do the other end. I can't get all the way through at this point so I then clamp it in a vise and run the hole through the rest of the way with a hand drill.
There are probably many other ways to get this done but I ain't smart enough to figger anything else out.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 08:08:01 AM »
Great info Mike!  I have one of those I will need to drill in the not-so-distant future!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline KShatwell

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 06:01:39 PM »
Thanks Mike. That worked well