Author Topic: 2nd try at The Rifle Shop’s "British Officer's Carbine"~ Done & Shooting!  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: 2nd try at The Rifle Shop’s "British Officer's Carbine"
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2024, 05:46:33 AM »
Thanks Dave- yes, it’s still thick. I was looking at that bottom one as my guide. I also was eying one of Mike Brooks, which I like and that it has the molding forward of the lock.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2024, 02:41:26 PM »
Hi Bob,
I realize the gun is sort of a fantasy piece. Officer's fusils were privately purchased and not government issued.  There was no standard issued British officer's fusil.  Each officer bought his own to his own taste or sometimes a regimental commander would have a batch made by a private gun maker for his officers. They tended to follow norms of sporting guns rather than government muskets except they were fitted with a full sized bayonet and sling swivels.  The musket in your picture is a pattern 1730 King's pattern musket.  It was the first Brown Bess and within very few years, the large tear drop tails and the forward apron around the lock and side plate panels were eliminated, never to return. Moldings or aprons in front of the lock panels were done on a few sporting guns but they were very rare and almost never as large as on the pattern 1730 musket, which shows very strong Dutch influence.   Here are photos of original pattern 1730 and pattern 1742 muskets for comparison.  Note how thin the lock panels are and the tails and apron are gone in the next later pattern.

I realize you are not building a copy of any historical gun but the details above provide some reference for what was actually done on those historical firearms.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2024, 04:42:26 AM »
You know Dave, I am always going to remember how generous and helpful you have been. Thank you.
This project has been a crazy one for me, and it got off with a horrible start. I think I have learned a whole lot with all the mistakes and successes I made. I think if I ever took on another similar project I would feel a lot more confident in what I am doing. Much due to your guidance.
I hope this gun will be a shooter, not that I am much of a shot, but hurling a .62 ball down range I am sure to hit something 😊

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2024, 08:58:43 PM »
Have stained and varnish the gun, and will be applying some paste wax after it cures.
It’s been a fantastic learning experience for me, and I guess it came out about as nice as it could have, given my limited knowledge and experience. If ever I do another one like this, I will surely have a better understanding of things.
I will add some better photos later on.

Offline TDM

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2024, 10:47:47 PM »
Nice work Bob.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2024, 11:56:47 PM »
Looks nice Bob and I am sure it will be a good shooter.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2024, 01:38:54 AM »
Thanks Tom and Dave. Yes, I hope it'll be a good shooter. I'll find out soon.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 01:58:51 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2024, 01:43:00 AM »
A few photos of the rifle.
I sure wish I did expose more of the muzzle. Oh well  :-\

rabindranath tagore small poems in english

parting at morning theme

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2024, 05:59:35 PM »
Bob, that turned out really nice!! Thank you for sharing the progress and finish. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Jakob

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2024, 03:38:46 AM »
Looks great!

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2024, 04:22:08 AM »
Thanks guys. As I mentioned elsewhere, taking on this project became a challenge from the beginning. But I figured that learning isn’t always easy and it’s definitely not. But there are some here ( you know who you are) who patiently supported and educated me along the way. Thank you.
I honestly don’t know what I need with this carbine for except for the novelty of it. The parts were a gift to me from a fellow Dulcimer builder (a Master luthier actually) and as such it will be a reminder to me of Ken’s wonderful spirit and friendship. It might even be great on a woods walk (giving a cheating edge with that large ball!).
Anyway thanks for looking and for your kind words 🙂

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: 2nd try at The Rifle Shop’s "British Officer's Carbine"~ Done!
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2024, 04:28:49 PM »
I was doing some trial shooting with the carbine this afternoon.
I had some .595 round ball handy (I have to cast some .61’s). I could start them down the barrel with just thumb pressure. I began testing with 60 grains 3f and then for my last several shots went to 70 grains. Shot off the bench at 25 yards. I think it’s in the neighborhood where I can work with it!
And its Fast!!
Then just for fun took a pot shot at the gong at 50 yards (missed!). Man I kinda like this gun. Not too bad for a rank amateur   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6w6g9mAVTak

« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 04:59:05 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
I have the rifle sighted in now and I am really happy with it. I’m using 80 grains of 2f with a patched .610 round ball and spit patch (.018 pillow ticking).
It is sighted in for center hold at 50 yards (picture below: 3 of 4 in the X ring).
Yesterday I was surprised to see that the rifle hits center at 100 yards with no change in load or sight picture.
For 200 yards (aiming at a man-size sillouett), the ball drops about 2 feet. I’m very happy with this rifle.

upload pic
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 05:41:59 PM by Bob Gerard »