Author Topic: More Chrongraphing  (Read 15100 times)

northmn

More Chrongraphing
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »
I got in from shooting my 54 Flintlock.  Here are the results for my particular rifle with my particular loads.  Someone elses are apt to be different.

Technique:  Wiped with wet patch and dry patch between shots.  Alternated loads to eliminate any fouling buildup arguements.  (No indication of fouling affecting data except for one shot where I forgot to wipe.)

Barrel 54 Montana
Twist 1-72
Length 42 inch
Flintlock  1/16 touchhole 
Powder GOEX on both
Speer Swaged 530 Ball
Patching .015 Precut for 50/54
Lube yellow stuff on prelube

90 Grains 3f
Ave Vel  1800 fps
Spread 107 fps  (This string had the one I forgot to wipe and had a high of 1852.  I figured it in the ave but the spread without it was 86fps)

120 2f
Ave Vel 1821
Extreme spread 65 (throw out the high and it was 21 fps)

Fired one shot with 80 grains 3f as that seemed a popular load and got 1683 fps.

Lymans catalog lists their 54 data with a 43 inch barrel at 1685 with GOEX 3f and 90 grains.  Percusion ignition. 

My conclusions are that light weight 45 ladies rifles and 54's made in the Appalacian fashion are not fun to shoot off the bench with deer loads.  Actually the 54 was no worse than the light weight 45 with 90 grains.  2F seemed to be more consistant.  Once I remembered the rifles little quirks in priming  neither powder granulation seemed to be quicker.  I also tend to agree with Daryl that wiping between every shot can lead to more misfires.
Lyman listed pressure differences between 3f and 2f.  120 grains of 2f gave them 8100 LUP  80 grains of 3f gave 8400 LUP.   I think that may explain the higher variation of 3f.  For hunting it likely would not matter. Always shot 2F in the gun and cannot say how 3f performs for accuracy.
I did my part so far, any of you with chronographs can do yours.  It would take a lot of data to establish averages.  My next test when I get around to it will be with Grafs in the 54, same charges.  Can't afford Swiss.

DP

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:16:32 AM by northmn »

Daryl

Re: More Chrongraphing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
  Taylor and I did some chronographing today as well. He has the 42" .54 data while mine is with the .40.  His velocities with the .54 were very low. Our range is at about 2,200ft. ASL, while the .40 turned in normal velocities, a bit lower than cooler temps give, for sure. I use a micrometer for measuring patch thickness. It was listed as 10 pound Denim, washed twice and measured .0215" for me.  Taylor's calipers measuring system makes it at .024". I used spit for lube except where noted with 65gr. 2F just to see the velocitiy difference. That one was lubed with LehighValley Lube, same patch material.
: 42" .40 cal. .395" ball - 55gr. 2F - 1,741fps  spit lube
: -same---------same------65gr. 2F - 1,921fps  spit lube 
: -same---------same------65gr. 2F - 1,943fps LHV lube.
: -same---------same------75gr. 2F former load tested last spring gave a velocity of 2,160fps, lubed with LHV
:  At these velcities and loads, it appears I'm getting almost 200fps change per 10gr. increase in powder charge. This is good in my book.
: Note the 2F ,not 3F.
: 65gr. 3F GOEX gave 2,147fps with an LHV lubed patch.
: None were wiped between shots with very close shot to shot variations.  Testing I did many years ago, showed wiping between shots more than doubled sometimes tripled shot to shot velocity variations. Those are the facts as I did the actual testing my own self - actually. Also, spit for lube was much more consistant than any sort of oil or grease.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:11:05 PM by Daryl »

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »
I am envious of you guys that are shooting, I have yet to finish my "house cleaning" projects so must wait a bit yet.

Testing I did many years ago, showed wiping between shots more than doubled sometimes tripled shot to shot velocity variations. Those are the facts as I did the actual testing my own self - actually.
My results were along this same direction the last time I went out and worked with the chronograph, I will try my next session without swabbing just to check the shot to shot variations.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

northmn

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
: None were wiped between shots with very close shot to shot variations.  Testing I did many years ago, showed wiping between shots more than doubled sometimes tripled shot to shot velocity variations. Those are the facts as I did the actual testing my own self - actually. Also, spit for lube was much more consistant than any sort of oil or grease.

Difference in perspective.  What I was trying to accomplish was to try to achieve an example of the "first shot" in hunting situation.  Started this from the 45 hunting load thread and have been focused on hunting loads. I do not target shoot anymore.  Got burned out in MLs and archery 3-D both.   If someone wants to post target loads that would not be stealing this thread and most welcome.  I did notice a higher velocity when I did not wipe, but it could have stabilized.  I used to like to fire a shot off at gongs or whatever before starting the target match to foul the bore and only wiped between relays, not between shots.  I also admit some of my variation might be due to the powder measuring/vs weighed loads some might want to try.  There again most of us use a powder measure. I tried to keep the measuring as consistant as possible but did have 2-3 grain variations when I checked the measures against the scale.  Daryl uses a very tight load with more liquid cleaning type lubes that may or may not be used for a hunting load.   Grease lubes do not clean.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
Dave- here's the results froma 42" .54 customer's gun Taylor was using. Unfortunately, we didn't test a wide range of loads. The load he was using was not a tight one, as the balls were undersize (my opinion) at .530" and Hornady swaged in a deep grooved barrel. He used spit, I think.
: 80gr. 2F GOEX - 1,400fps
: 100gr.2F Graff - 1,551fps
: 120gr.2f GOEX - 1,745fps
:
: At 120gr. the recoil could be felt on the cheek bone most heavily so not too many shots were made with that load.  It just wasn't stocked well, being too straight with not enough drop at the comb.  The gun he was testing was NOT of his own make.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:38 AM »
1745 to 1821 isn't all that much.  Just got in from a comparason test between Grafs 3f and GOEX 3f.  Had an interesting experience.  The flask was getting low so I refilled it.  Velocities went up almost 100 fps.  I think that maybe the bottom of the flask had more fines.  Here the results.

40 Cal 42 inch barrel GM 1-48 twist
395 ball swaged
Lube was Crisco
Patching Cotton Duck
Same measure used for both set at 30 grains (Slightly more on scale)

GOEX  1462
Grafs   1375

Two shot fired with 55 grains one 2007 and one 1911 GOEX.   

I used the light load as that used to be about minimum for 25 accuracy and I use the rifle for small game.  The differences in powder could be the same between two different batches of GOEX.  Also Daryl you are correct.  I didn't see any significant different between wiping and not wiping except I think the non wiping was more consistant.

DP
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:34:37 AM by northmn »

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:52:25 AM »
I know some guys use around 80gr. of 2F in thier .50's and others up to 80 2F in their .60's. I wonder if the .60's break 1,200fps with that load.
; I do know my .69, with a .684" ball, .015" cotton pocket drill patch lubed with spit made 1,221fps with 82gr. 3F GOEX back in the 80's., I couldn't begin to tell you what the lot number was, though.  I needed 96gr. of their 2F, same patch to match that velocity.  In cold weather I could get away with a .015" patch with those loads but in warmer weather, I had to go to a .022" denim patch for all loads.  Again in colder weather, I only had to use the .022" denim patch for loads above 120gr. 2F and 3f loads above 82gr. Warmer weather either boosted pressures, velocities or perhaps both.  I could use WW balls only with the thin patch and 2F though as  3f would blow the .015" patch with the WW alloy balls even with the 82gr. charge.  Paper ctgs. allowed loads to 165gr. with WW and maintained the rifles' wonderful standard accuracy of 1 1/2" at 100 meters for 5 shots.  There was enough paper stuffed down underneath the paper ctg. wrapped ball to prevent blowby. It's ballistics were identical to a pure lead ball patched in .022" denim. I really love big bores for hunting and the flexibility of being able to hunt with dry paper ctgs. only enders them to me more. I needed to wipe the bore after every 10th shot or fire a squib load of 82gr. and spit lubed denim patched pure lead ball for the 11th shot.  After that, I was ready for another 10 paper ctg. hunting loads with undiminished accuracy for 10 rounds.  I did not experiment with lubed paper ctgs.

One of the guys here, Buffalohunter I think, experimented with paper ctgs. & WW balls and found them to work in his .54 as well.  We discovered they failed to work well in the deep grooved round bottomed barrels due to excessive fouling buildup after only a few rounds. Buddy Keith can only get 3 shtos off in his 11 bore rifle with deep grooved round bottomed rifling, but the WW balls still maintain good accuracy for those 3 rounds. His bore must be swamped out after those 3 rounds with cloth patches, as a lubed spit patch is impossible to load due to rifling filled with fouling. I suggest .012" might be as deep as you'd want to go with paper ctgs. for an entire hunt.

Incidently, those 165gr. 2F loads delivered 1,550fps from my Sporting rifle.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:53:14 AM by Daryl »

northmn

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:45:20 AM »
I have a percussion 50 I can test and a 12 gauge with 690 ball pretty quick.  The place I work decided to start up after about a week and half shutdown so I will be more tied up.  I have the advantage of my own shooting range.  The big bore stuff is interesting as to velocities and loads.  It seems the English liked the big bore but used reasonable charges.  Note on the other thread I got 1970 with 3f in a 45 and about 1800 with 90 grains of 3f in the 54.  While the 54 had ten more inches of barrel it does make a statement as the ball wieght is so much greater.    96 grains giving 1221 in a 69 also reflects a greater efficiency.  I made a 12 smoothbore that fit and found the recoil with about 110 grains of 2f stout but tolerable.  Would love to be able to chronograph that load.  I used a 715 ball.

DP

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 06:35:43 AM »
I had opposite results between goex 3f and graf 3f.  the Graf ran a bit faster.  I think you are right about the difference coming down to different lots of powder.
Mike Lee

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:42:04 AM »
I had opposite results between goex 3f and graf 3f.  the Graf ran a bit faster.  I think you are right about the difference coming down to different lots of powder.
I think the roller press Goex uses may have increased the velocity variation or so I have been told.
There will be some variation in about any powder though the higher end stuff, like Swiss, is pretty consistent.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »
The 54 was pretty consistant with 2f, I had one shot that messed things up, and the 40 was fairly consistant at the 30 grain level.  I admit that as I proceeded with this project my loading technique may have gotten more consistant.  On the flip side, the consistancy of labs may not reflect field use either.  I did not get any trends, by that I mean the velocities did not increase the more I shot, even with the 90 grain loads in the 45 (listed on another thread).   There was no difference between the Grafs and the GOEX until I refilled the flask.  Swiss powder is likely great stuff, but the 5 cans of Grafs that I ordered were cheaper even paying Hazmat.  When I get time I will do more comparisons.  I was hoping others ,  as Daryl did, would list some results, as I think we would see differences between guns and powder lots.

DP

Mike R

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »
Some of you guys' numbers illustrate one of my points.  Just to take the .54 chron results from two of you:  (1)
90gr = 1800 fps; 120 gr = 1821 fps.  Here a 33 % increase in powder led to only a 1+% increase in velocity. (2)
80 gr = 1400 fps; 100 gr = 1551 fps; 120 gr = 1745 fps.  Here a 25 % increase in powder led to a 10+% increas in velocity and a 50% increase in powder led to a 25% increase in velocity.  In addition to the fact that these two data sets don't match very well, my point is that if you take published data like the old Lyman charts and calculate the % increase of vel with increased charge you will find a that diminished returns result from 'excessive' loads. 

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
The smaller bores are efficient, for sure.  The .40 gave an increase of  10% in vel. for an increase of 18% in powder from 55gr. to 65gr., while giving an increase of 11% in velocity for only 15% more powder going from 65gr. to 75gr. I guess this might mean in the .40, the more powder you put in, the more efficient it gets?  Does this mean 75gr. of 2F in a .40 isn't excessive, even though it has a 48" twist?  How many guys shoot 75gr. in a 20 bore smoothie, or 55gr. to 75gr. in a .50 or .54? and expect good results?

I contend that what the efficiencies amount to mathematically has little to do with the shooting capability of the gun. One must still shoot what's more accurate.  In my gun, the 65gr. charge is more accurate than anything less, so that's what I use. 75gr. is more accurate still, but I'm short on powder and didn't zero for the increased charge.

One further aspect of this rifle, with 3F, increased powder charges cause the gun to shoot lower and lower, but increased powder charges with 2f cause an increase in elevation - the exact opposite.  Is that wierd or what?

northmn

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 05:15:54 AM »
I will have to edit my data slightly.  My comparason was with 90 grains of 3f.  The comparason was between 3f and 2f.  Efficiency is an interesting point. The debate of efficiency vs performance is an interesting one.  Most people use hunting loads that are not as efficient in terms of powder consumption as compared to lighter target loads.  They foul more and may give questionable gains.  Some compare them to the effiency of a passenger car and that of a race car.  You have to burn so much fuel to get so much speed or uae hotter fuel.  Some want the speed out of smaller bores becasue they feel the lower velocities are inadequate.  Others like the larger bores with moderate charges becasue the bigger ball gives more confidence.  Personal choices.

DP 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:19:29 AM by northmn »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
I will have to edit my data slightly.  My comparason was with 90 grains of 3f.  The comparason was between 3f and 2f.  Efficiency is an interesting point. The debate of efficiency vs performance is an interesting one.  Most people use hunting loads that are not as efficient in terms of powder consumption as compared to lighter target loads.  They foul more and may give questionable gains.  Some compare them to the effiency of a passenger car and that of a race car.  You have to burn so much fuel to get so much speed or uae hotter fuel.  Some want the speed out of smaller bores becasue they feel the lower velocities are inadequate.  Others like the larger bores with moderate charges becasue the bigger ball gives more confidence.  Personal choices.

DP 

I will expand somewhat here.
What the barrel shoots best within certain criteria is all that is really important. The RB bench shooters use really massive powder charges. But the hunter does not shoot to the distances they do in most cases.
But hunting rifles seldom need much more than 1/2 ball weight of FFFG  (considering 58 or smaller) to get a flat trajectory and adequate penetration.  Velocity in the RB at 100 yards is not greatly increased by more that 1/2 ball weight but some barrels may like more to shoot well.
My 66" twist 54 gives all the accuracy I can use and very good velocity with 90 gr of FFFG Swiss. I used to use 100 gr of GOEX but get as good or better velocity.
Trying to increase killing power of the smaller ball by increasing velocity will not really work since velocity falls off so fast.
Increased ball diameter will increase killing power. A 16 or 20 bore ball at 1000 fps striking velocity is a better killer than a 50 cal at 2000. So attempting to make a magnum from a 50 cal, for example, by increasing the velocity is a joke. Velocity simply flattens trajectory due to  initial velocity. REMAINING velocity at 100-120 is not that much greater. Some times 300 fps added at the muzzle will translate into nothing really significant at 100-120 yards.
So it is impossible to increase the downrange power of the RB by velocity increases. They do not carry out to the ranges where the ball strikes the target unless the shot is 40-50 yards.
But even then a 54 is much better than the 50. Having shot game with the 50-54-58 I think the 54 is the best compromise of the three and think it is much better than the 50 and near as good as a 58.
Bigger bores, 62 and up, change everything. Never used a 62 but the 66 is very much different than the 54, but the ball weight is doubled, 1/2 ounce ball to 1 ounce.
Ball sizes larger than 66 are suitable for large and dangerous animals. Forsythe states that the 16 bore is about as small as anyone would use on dangerous game. He hunted in Indian. He stated that with hardened balls a short barreled (26"+-) 14 bore percussion rifle (.69) using a 15 gauge ball would penetrate an Indian Elephant's head from side to side with a 137 gr of powder, Halls #5, similar to FFG powder I think. My 66 flint with 30" gives similar velocities, 1600 fps, with 140 gr of FFG Swiss. The bigger balls seem to get more out of the powder, perhaps its the greater weight or simply the bore size don't know.
Sir William Drummond Stewart who attended several fur trade Rendezvous in the 1830s used a 20 bore rifle which he stated killed more game on less powder and lead than any rifle there. An exaggeration perhaps but then maybe not. Ruxton used a 24 bore (58) with good effect. But made no claims that it was better than American rifles other than he out shot most or all in shooting matches.
But the average British gun owner was better funded than the average American gun owner so Americans opted for the smallest effective caliber for the game to be hunted to save on ammo costs or to make it go farther when far from a source of supply.
Gotta sign off.
Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 06:01:40 PM »

But hunting rifles seldom need much more than 1/2 ball weight of FFFG  (considering 58 or smaller) to get a flat trajectory and adequate penetration.  Velocity in the RB at 100 yards is not greatly increased by more that 1/2 ball weight but some barrels may like more to shoot well.
Trying to increase killing power of the smaller ball by increasing velocity will not really work since velocity falls off so fast.
Increased ball diameter will increase killing power. A 16 or 20 bore ball at 1000 fps striking velocity is a better killer than a 50 cal at 2000. So attempting to make a magnum from a 50 cal, for example, by increasing the velocity is a joke. Velocity simply flattens trajectory due to  initial velocity. REMAINING velocity at 100-120 is not that much greater. Some times 300 fps added at the muzzle will translate into nothing really significant at 100-120 yards.
So it is impossible to increase the downrange power of the RB by velocity increases. They do not carry out to the ranges where the ball strikes the target unless the shot is 40-50 yards.
[/quote]

That is one of the problems the modern zip gun makers have trying to standardize on 50 caliber and then using them on everything from rabbits to elephant.  Grand dad wasn't stupid and understood the value of bigger bores.  As I understood from reading the English used moderate charges for the size of the bore.  Note that the 40 gave about 1400 fps with a 1/3 charge to ball weight of powder.  In a 16 ga that would translate about 150 grains round numbers or about 110 in a 20.  A 30 grain charge in the 40 leaves a cleaner bore and would be accurate were the rifle designed for it.  There was some debate about twist when I mentioned the 1-48, but a rule of thumb is that faster twists work better with lighter charges.  The big bores tended to have a faster twist than a smaller bore.  A 1-48 is faster in a 54 due to the angle of twist than a 1-48 in the 40.  What they were using were effective rifles, with a efficient charge as to fouling that had much better downrange performance.
Reading the Journal of a Trapper again I was amused when Russel talked about getting within 80 yards of a buffalo bull and shooting at it 25 times before giving up as it stood there.   So much for the fantastic shooting attributed to the mountain men.  Stewart and Ruxton were likely better shots than a large number of those they compared to which attributed to their ability to kill more game with less.

DP

northmn

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »
Had a little time so I went out and checked out the 12 ga, I have been building.  It has a choke I relieved from full.  What it is??? 
30 inch barrel, Nock breeched.
690 Round Ball, WW
015 Patch
100 grains 2F GOEX
Flintlock .070 touch hole.
Ave Vel 1070 fps.

Comments:  The choke made it difficult to load a tight patch as I had to use a mallet to seat the ball.  Once beyond the choke it was a loose fit.  Probably would have benefitted from a card wad for more velocity?  My own feelings on the load is that my 54 rifle is a beautiful deer rifle.  This load fired from a shotgun weighing less than 7 pounds kicked like H--l. 
I tested the gun before finishing it to see if it needed any adjustments to  the cheeck piece and that sort of thing.  It kicked straight back but still hurt.  I feel the gun is best used with about 1 1/8 oz of shot.  Still be a bit before I try to send pictures of the gun.  The barrel is a modern one made into a muzzle loader with a Nock breech to permit extra length.

DP

northmn

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 12:15:02 AM »
One more set of data.  50 cal percussion, 36 inch barrel.  1-70 twist

90 gr GOEX 3f
015 patch yellow stuff lube
490 RB
AV 1917 fps

80 GOEX 3f
015 Patch
490 RB
AV 1860

This was a classic example of law of diminishing returns.  There was only 20fps between the top velocity with 80 gr load and the low velocity with the 90 grain load.  Lyman lists 2000 for 90 grains out of a 43 inch Douglas barrel and 1891 for the 32 inch.  1854 for the 43 inch 80 grain load.  That's as close to printed as you will get.  I used a 90 grain load to hunt with before chronographing.  If I use the percussion again it will be 80 grains as that will do fine for deer.  As to recoil, the 12 gauge tests kind of softened me up so that I can not comment.

DP

northmn

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »
Did another test with the 54 but tried the recommendations of drilling out the touch hole to .070.  The review the data.

530 RB
precut patches yellow lube .015
42" barrel
120 Grains GOEX

.0625 Touch hole  Ave 1821 fps
.070   Touch Hole  Ave 1792 fps

Really isn't enough to matter if reliability increases.  Don't even know for sure if there is a difference.  Could be other explanations. Lyman lists 1685 with 90 3f and musket caps.  One shot with 3f after swabbing the barrel gave 1759 in my flintlock.

DP

DP

chapmans

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 10:32:13 PM »
When Larry Pletcher and I did the compression test we also took a few more readings with different powder charges. I am fairly certain these readings were taken with the percussion mule ear lock installed.
 The barrel is a .40 cal GM 7/8" across the flats,42" long ,the chronograph was approx 10 yds in front of the bench. .400 cast, lyman mold. pocket drill patch, goex fffg powder. Powder charges were measured in a cuttoff measure with a pour spout.
  The results:
   40 gr            1645fps
   50 gr            1807
   60 gr            1946
   65 gr            1995
   70 gr            2069
   75 gr            2127

In addition I shot one shot of my usual target load of 55 gr of Swiss    2069 fps.
    Regards, Steve C.

roundball

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 02:43:53 AM »
"...drilling out the touch hole to .070..."

Did you notice a difference in ignition?

northmn

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
As to any differences in ignition, I tried drilling out to .070 because of a couple of flashes in the pan in the previous test.  I did not have any this round, but also fired fewer rounds.  Too early to tell, but with such a small difference I see no reason not to stay with that size touch hole for that rifle.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
Steve- I find your results interesting. My flint .40, .070" vent, loaded with a .020" LHV lubed denim patch and .400" ball, 65gr. 3F GOEX gives me 2,147fps average (same barrel length and twist rate) with 22fps variation. I suspect the wide shot to shot velocity spreads I got can be attributed to the LHV luve. I've found in virtually all guns tested, that spit gives much closer velocities, generally under 10fps over 10 shots.  The patch/ball combo must be a snug one, though.  75gr. 2F GOEX gave 2,160fps, but slightly closer spreads than did 3F. This closer velocity with 2F mirrors my findings in all guns I've tested, as well.  There must be less 'fines' in 2F, which stands to reason due to the screening process.  Too, this probably is the reson 2f seems a 'tich' more accurate for me than 3F.

chapmans

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
Daryl,
 The results of the 40gr load was an average of probably 20 shots the rest were only 1shot so they are not necessesarily conclusive. I'll have to ask Larry for sure but I think I used spit for lube.
 How far away was your screen set up? That also may have some bearing on the results.
   I was some what surprised with the Swiss reading although I knew it is hotter.
 Regards, Steve 

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:21 AM »
I set my screens at 10' (centre) normally. So far, I haven't had problems with fouling the 'eyes'.  I tested with 57gr. 2f GOEX and got 1,940fps. I was quite happy with that.  With spit, it's another accuracy load and the one I used for Hefley this year. I managed a third when using it on a trail, out of 136 shooters.  I didn't shoot particularly well, but one never does when at a competition.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:23:29 AM by Daryl »