Author Topic: Miniature flintlocks  (Read 2055 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Miniature flintlocks
« on: April 23, 2024, 11:04:21 PM »
 ..Does anyone make Miniature flintlocks anymore..?  Seen a couple at the
  Tennessee show last weekend and I am curious about availability.  I
  know of a few of the makers back in the day. But does anyone
  currently..?   Thanks for any information..

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: Miniature flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 03:13:56 AM »
I think a member here has if I remember correctly. Rich Pierce I believe?  It was absolutely beautiful.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 05:17:14 AM »
I think a member here has if I remember correctly. Rich Pierce I believe?  It was absolutely beautiful.
Not I!

In the past my neighbor here in Vermont, Damien Connolly, has made miniature flintlocks of a very small scale. He also made the machines to make the parts.

https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/artisan/damien-connolly/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 05:23:42 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 05:39:57 AM »
That is just beyond my comprehension to understand how a man can have so much talent. Amazing.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 04:06:41 PM »
I don't understand how anybody could do a nice job of inletting the fancy brass patchboxes and inlays. Making the lock must be a labor of love too.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 04:48:59 PM »
I have never understood the why of something like these minis.. I appreciate the talent used but time could be better spent.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 04:54:17 PM »
Damien has incredible focus and patience as well as skill that is mind blowing. He has engraving projects that take a year to complete. Maybe one in 10 million people have that kind of patience, focus, and skill. He often spends 40 or more hours preparing a surface for engraving.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 04:59:08 PM »
  The miniatures I seen at the show were about two feet long. I believe they shot 22 caliber pellets but not positive. The locks were about two inches long.  Their was considerable interest in them.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 05:28:48 PM »
Reminds me of the maritime museum in Alexandria Va I think? it had a collection of the most incredible and detailed ship models I have ever seen. I also recall reading about a person that carved art inside of a human hair. It's hard to imagine what makes a person do the things they do but it's also amazing what a person can do when they focus on it hard enough and long enough. My hats off to folks that do it. I have been a kind of artist most of my life, but I am not and never will be in the same league with these masters.

Imagine what mankind could do, if all this focus and ability was aimed at... I don't know--- fill in the blank?  Amazing to me. Mankind's creativity is a reflection of our Creator, and points to God. That is what I see in it anyway.

K
Galations 2:20

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 09:31:19 PM »
It takes a very talented maker to make a fully functioning miniature long rifle. Most I have seen are very well done and demand as much or more money than many of their full sized counterparts being made by some well known builders. Most that don't appreciate the value of these or taking the time to build them are the ones not talented enough to do this kind of work. It's a labor of love and a display of talent that is above the average builder. If I ever get a chance to own one of Mr. Gerald Neaves miniature rifles, I will not pass it up. What a talent
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 10:42:09 PM »
It takes a very talented maker to make a fully functioning miniature long rifle. Most I have seen are very well done and demand as much or more money than many of their full sized counterparts being made by some well known builders. Most that don't appreciate the value of these or taking the time to build them are the ones not talented enough to do this kind of work. It's a labor of love and a display of talent that is above the average builder. If I ever get a chance to own one of Mr. Gerald Neaves miniature rifles, I will not pass it up. What a talent
Sort of a back handed slap there.....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 12:07:05 AM »
I guess if your GI Joe wants to start hunting with a flintlock when on leave ;D ;D ;D

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 01:34:02 AM »
I will be honest. I have no desire what so ever to own one of these miniatures. I just don't. But I DO admire the patience, focus and skill it takes to make one. UNLESS I shrink in the dryer and need a flintlock to shoot. Then I am all in.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline 45-110

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 03:33:47 AM »
I have never understood the why of something like these minis.. I appreciate the talent used but time could be better spent.
Well this is what the man likes to do, others need not understand the why of it. It is art of a very high level.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 04:17:53 AM »
I’m with Mike.  I’m all for doing what makes you happy, but I ask why as well.

Rich,

That’s neat that Damien Connolly is your neighbor.  I recall seeing his work 10 years ago and being super impressed.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 04:35:04 AM »
There is a Dutch fellow here at ALR who makes miniatures as well, is there not?
I am sorry, but his name escapes me. A.L. are his initials, I think?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 05:16:53 AM »
I wanna see a miniature flintlock in a bottle.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 06:49:58 AM »
There is a Dutch fellow here at ALR who makes miniatures as well, is there not?
I am sorry, but his name escapes me. A.L. are his initials, I think?

Adrie Luke.  He is a very talented fellow.

Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2024, 05:45:22 PM »
I wanna see a miniature flintlock in a bottle.
;D Now that would be a useful way to spend your time ;D
Honestly, I appreciate the craftsmanship. I have seen these at shows in the past but have had no desire to even pick one up. My only thought at seeing one has always been "what's the point"!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2024, 06:40:41 PM »
Small locks like the Maslin and others are as close as I ever came to a miniature,functional lock.Never thought of the scale shown here and the triggers to match.The skills involved in these tiny ones far exceeds anything I ever tried or even thought of trying.I once made a tiny screw to repair a pair of glasses for the son of a friend who would have been non functional without them.I think it was a 0x80.I have the tap and die for those screws (maybe) but haven't thought of them for decades.
Bob Roller 

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2024, 10:02:11 PM »
I believe anybody is capable of doing anything they wanted to, if they can put their mind and body to it for as long it takes. If you start by thinking it cant be done you have already lost the battle. I can not see the point of building a small rifle like that unless someone is paying you lots of money, what would you use it for anyway? If you add a plug bayonet it could be used as a toothpick maybe.

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2024, 12:04:28 AM »
People make miniature boats, airplanes, trains, dioramas. They even carve miniature decoys. Why not rifles?  I've seen miniature M1 rifles for sale that cycle.

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2024, 02:36:01 AM »
I would have to hide it from my dogs !
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline PhDBrewer

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2024, 08:28:00 AM »
Well...
What about miniature WHEELLOCKS?
These are from a museum in Germany. Apparently they were apprentice's examples proving their lerned skill.
Now... imagine doing these 300 years ago...

Links below are a few more.
http://www.lennartviebahn.com/arms_armour/antiques/michel_mann_pistol2.html
https://ago.ca/collection/object/agoid.29505
Hope you enjoy.
I might have to try building one!

William

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2024, 04:45:41 PM »
People make miniature boats, airplanes, trains, dioramas. They even carve miniature decoys. Why not rifles?  I've seen miniature M1 rifles for sale that cycle.
I'll bet the ammo is hard to find these days.  :P