Author Topic: Lock making files  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Metalshaper

Lock making files
« on: April 26, 2024, 03:33:33 PM »
Asking all the guys who have or are building their own locks. My current project is a few mule ear locks..

the question I have is what tools or files are you using to cut in the sear notches?< files, cutters or??> I would like to improve the work I'm doing
and make a more precise finished project.

Getting ready to head to Oregon, attending  the Gun Makers Fair.. First time  ;D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: Lock making files
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 03:39:43 PM »
A small fine cut triangular file with one side ground smooth.

Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 04:34:57 PM »
Notches on the tumbler? As Jim said. Notches for sear spring tab? A graver.
Andover, Vermont

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 06:17:21 PM »
I have never thought of a lock like this one but conventional lock designs can be done with common files and a hacksaw.
Small specialty files like German and Swiss plus English "needle" files are a fine addition to these jobs as well.To me the
lathe and the milling machine make a good level of quality control possible.The old American guns including the much loved
Hawken rifles had a very basic lock usually with a full cock only tumbler,a very common thing here.I made one of these locks
from left over parts and it went to California.I prefer the highly detailed English locks and enjoyed the challenge of making a
decent facsimile of them in two sizes.Rolf in Norway did a good job with 6 of them in left hand version as a first lock making
project.Lock kits are now available for anyone who wants to take time to detail them.The lock is the MECHANISM that is on
the back side of the plate.A plate can be engraved by a master engraver but if the mechanism is substandard it's not a good lock
to build with in either flint or percussion.Making a lock,even a simple one from bars of steel is labor intensive but when it is
finished and working right,a sense of satisfaction is attained and the tools used to do this job ARE the right ones.
I hope the "Mule Ear"lock turns out well.
Bob Roller                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:28:49 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 06:13:54 PM »
I was at the fair and enjoyed your walking us through the history an designs of the Mule ear locks. Very cool stuff.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 04:44:30 PM »
Dave,

Thanks, Enjoyed the Makers Fair and all the people I met there. Would certainly consider makeing the trip again.!!

To James, Rich And Bob, thanks for your replies.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 10:28:31 PM »
I have been buying all my small needle files from https://artcotools.com/grobet-swiss-precision-files/ I buy the Grobets.  I have found this distributor to have the best prices.
David

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 05:28:38 PM »
David,

Thanks for the tip on those files.. Enjoyed talking to you at the Gun Makers fair and also was very impressed with you charcoal
bluing set up. Really liked the looks of the finished barrel!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan