Author Topic: Attachment method Small wedge key inlays  (Read 715 times)

Offline Steeltrap

Attachment method Small wedge key inlays
« on: April 30, 2024, 12:46:10 AM »
I received my TOTW order for the smaller wedge keys and wedge key inlays. These are for sure small. I was considering using a small screw for each one, but now I'm rethinking that and perhaps a small finishing nail that I peen the head flat would work\look better? Of course, I will inlet these into the stock first.  Any input would be appreciated.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Attachment method Small wedge key inlays
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:44:08 AM »
My method, solder 2  #1 screw to the back on each side,(after inlet), then inlet those screws generously, and epoxy in place…….i know this isn’t PC, but they will never come out.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 06:12:58 AM »
My method, solder 2  #1 screw to the back on each side,(after inlet), then inlet those screws generously, and epoxy in place…….i know this isn’t PC, but they will never come out.

Thanks for the idea, I have plans for it!
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 02:02:44 PM »
Thanks. I was considering epoxy but with peening over some nails, filing a single slot, drill  small holes in the inlay, and a dab of Accraglass.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 02:14:57 PM »
Can also lightly countersink, use small domed screws, and file off the heads, leaving it looking like it was pinned. Have to practice how deep to countersink.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 02:45:27 PM »
Are the wedge inlays steel or German silver?

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 03:04:11 PM »
Steel. Measures .750 x .380. Slot is .375 x .072

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 04:32:17 PM »
I have a steel block that I drilled a small hole in then counter sunk that I can form the heads of those pins so they fit into a corisponding counter sink in the inlay.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 07:00:48 PM »
Steel. Measures .750 x .380. Slot is .375 x .072

Use a 1/16 inch pin,  that's a common size and can be found anywhere. Cut a small portion of it and file a point on one end. Then take a small ballpeen hammer and with the peen end upset the other end. It doesn't need to have a large upset, just enough to sorta roll the edge over.

Now, using a 16th inch drill bit drill two holes in the inlay, do it on a drill press. Using the wedge to hold it in place drill the corresponding holes through the inlay and into the stock, don't drill far. Use the pins to hold the workpiece steady and inlet the inlay. When you are satisfied Use the pins that you've upset and drive them in. Precalculate the length of the pins, chances are you may go into the barrel channel so put the barrel in, the barrel will deform the end of the pins if this happens. The upset end of the pins will draw in the inlay and kinda swedge into the holes drilled. Use a file to file everything flush. If so inclined, put a bit of epoxy in there.

This is the procedure I use when installing inlays and I did a tutorial procedure of it. Good luck.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 07:10:19 PM »
Forgot to add that I do not countersink the drilled holes. It is very hard ti fill those little countersink and most often will leave a ghost ring around the pin