Author Topic: Gold barrel insert pictures  (Read 747 times)

Offline rick landes

Gold barrel insert pictures
« on: May 01, 2024, 10:34:05 AM »

Thought some might enjoy seeing the sequence of events for the breech area ring. This is the finest one I have done. It’s 1mm wide. My jeweler’s saw blade is 1/2mm from top to tooth. After measuring the first outside edge I cut around the marking. When transitioning from the first cut into a flat I tip the saw and begin a small notch into the next flat in sequence. This helps assure the cuts flow well from flat to flat and back to starting point.
Next mark the width and repeat the border line around again. Depending on the width one can tip the saw from border towards center to a near 90 degree flat depth of border cut channel clean out. Of if wder a few cuts between the borders can be done and cleaned out.
I forgot to mention I cut only the height of the saw blade deep.
If the groove is wide enough a small file can be used for cleaning up the channel. If small the blade can be used horizontally to “file” the inside.
I then take a 1/8 flat engraving chisel and upset the end from channel to bottom of the border cut. If watching carefully a small rise of the material will be visible on the edge of the flat. I use a 4 ounce peening hammer for this. It doesn’t take much of a hammer tap to do this.
I also cut the inner channel transitions tip from flat to flat out. This provides a slightly rounded area for bending and tapping the gold inlay into place.
I then try the insert by inserting the band into the channel to make sure it is snug to width but not oversized nor undersized.
I start at top flat with center of inlay. I tap it into the channel with a 11/2 ounce engraving hammer tapping on a flat punch about twice the width of the channel. Make sure it is perfectly flat faced to avoid unnecessary dings to the barrel surface.
I missed that I anneal the gold strip prior to beginning! (Heat just to red and quench in water)
Follow this same peening around the flats.
Where the tips join (I prefer at a lower flat transition use the jeweler saw and cut the end of one flat at the same angle as the adjoining flat and the same adjoining flat cut on the other end of the insert. The goal is to have the tips lay in a mating angle when tapped in to match up without a visible seam.
Carefully file the area to match barrel flats.
I do sometimes cold blue area before drawing in lines. I cold blued the area after filing to get a better view of finished task.
In the spirit of full disclosure when I had first tried a barrel band inlay I cut my channel incorrectly. Had to tig weld channel full and file excess weldment off. Try  number two I cut my channel to wide for the gold strip I had on hand. Back to tig welding channel. But just like Goldilocks' the third time was just right.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Gold barrel insert pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 07:56:28 AM »
Rick, it looks like you did a really nice job - that is not a simple task, I have done a few of those myself.  Tell us a little about the gold ribbon you used... did you pound that out yourself?  or purchase it? and what karat was the gold you used.

Keep up the good work!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rick landes

Re: Gold barrel insert pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:36:56 PM »
For this particular inlay it was a 10 K wedding band. I do accounting for a coin and bullion investment co. It came in for melt and I “saved” it. It was cut and annealed many times to become a 6” long by 3/16” ribbon of usable material.
I would not use it for flashpan lining as non gold impurities will react to bp residual acids.
I did have a troy ounce piece of gold I had specifically assayed at 24 K. 24K is hard to get as it is so soft. Back at that time I did it following a past mentor Mr. Jerry Huddleson. I think it as about $1700 to get that one troy ounce.
Oh well at some point one has to commit!
Thank you for your interest and the break. I was just doing the finish sanding on the barrel those rings was inlaid into(; my rotator cup thanks you too!) A rust plum-brown is in its future.

“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson