Author Topic: Cherry Lehigh  (Read 786 times)

Offline ed lundquist

Cherry Lehigh
« on: May 03, 2024, 04:42:04 PM »
Built this from a cherry tree taken down on our place a while back. It has a 44" 40cal. Rice barrel, Chambers small Siler, Brooks guard and buttplate. Pipes, sideplate, toe, patchbox and nosecap are made by me. It was a dense piece of wood and carved well for me, my carving needs more study. This is my first engraving adventure. The gun shoots one ragged hole from the bench. It weighs 6.8lbs. It was stained with oven cleaner and finished with shellac and oil varnish as in Tall Bears' tutorial. The plan used is from Eric Von Aschwege. This is my second attempt at a Lehigh and I have mixed together elements from different makers that I admire. Feel free to comment, thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 04:56:45 PM by ed lundquist »

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
Re: Cherry Lehigh
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 06:27:38 PM »
Very nice, sometimes I’m not overly fond of cherry stocks but that’s a dandy!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 07:04:02 PM »
Sweet looking rifle, Ed. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 11:52:28 PM »
Looks like c ool beans to me. Anybody who makes one of those t h at doesn't chop you in the cheek bone deserves a medal.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 12:44:49 AM »
Thanks Levi, I have two more blanks from that tree and would like to attempt a fowler if time allows. Thanks Daryl, the points you and Taylor made on my last attempt helped make this rifle better. Mike, I shot this twice now and I didn't notice any slap, shot 45 grains but at only 6.8 lbs I think I would have noticed something. Cool beans!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 02:42:47 AM »
Profile looks GREAT to me. I think perhaps too many people try to make that style rifle from a 2x6 piece of wood.
One guy at Hefley did just that, and had to put sights 1" high on it so it wouldn't turn his cheek bone's skin area red, then blue.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 10:59:11 PM »
Nicely done rifle Ed.  I like the way you wove the different carving designs together.  Great looking finish as well.  Nothing says fun like a side opening patchbox, which looks great BTW.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 12:02:22 AM »
I like it. Nice work
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning