Author Topic: Barrels - quality  (Read 10393 times)

Bean

Barrels - quality
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
How would you rank barrels for quality and accuracy?
Rice, Green Mt, Colerain, or any others.

I'm looking for a 42-44" swamped for a TN Mountain rifle

Birddog6

Re: Barrels - quality
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
Lots of opinions on that, and there are many more brands too.  Rating them  Overall.......  Exterior finish, Breechplug fit, bore finish, smoothness & consistency, Rice is #1 in my book, hands down.   I have bought well over 40 Rice barrels & every single one of them has been wonderful & the breechplug fit has been a perfect fit on every one as well.  And all of them have been very accurate.

None of the other makers I have tried has impressed me as much as Rice has.  ;)  And they are simply Great guys to deal with. 

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
This is sort of a loaded question.  I have no exerience with Colerain, but have plans o making one with one of their barrels.  As far as Green Mountain and Rice go, I feel that they are both great barrels.  Though my shooting experience is limited, I am not able to tell the difference between the accuracy of the two.  The type of rifling that is used is different.  Green Mountain uses square bottom while Rice offers round bottom.  I have not noticed any difference in the accuracy.  Both barrels are able to shoot better than me.
As far as a TN mountian rifle, I would look more at a straight barrel.  I am not real familiar with TN mountain rifles, but most that I have seen have straight or "ever so slightly" swamped barrel in something between a 30 to 42 caliber.  The production swamped barrels are too swamped, especially for a TN mountian rifle, in my opinion. Also, use an English style lock, not a Germanic one.
                                                                                Brian
B. Lakatos

Bean

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:26 PM »
Keith,
I really am focused on replicating your replica #132.  I think it is a beautiful firearm and a high mark for me to aim for.

I have the Chamber Late Ketland lock, Bean style guard and tang plus the other steel fixtures already.  I really like the Rice barrels as they have rounded lands.  I generally use 5R on my bench guns and have had great luck with expanded number of shots in the sweet spot.  I would assume tha.t the case is the same with BP or maybe more so.  I think the Rounded reduces the build up rate on modern loads.  I think the military has found that to be the case as well with their sniper rifles. 

If you had good success I think I will order the stock from Pecotonica and a B swamped .50 from Rice.

Bob

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
If you are going to go with Pecatonica, call Dick & ask him if the stock you want is cut for the Rice barrel that you want.  Altho some barrel makers claim to use the same profile, I have found a vast dif. at times, especially between a Rice & a Colerain.  Not so bad when the barrel is larger than the inlet, but the opposite causes a real issue.  
Also don't forget that if you are using a Ketland, (modified or not) tell him what you are using as his pattern may be set up for a Siler & if so, you want it with no lock inlet plus, ask Dick if the Ketland will work OK on the stock pattern you choose. He will know as he is quite knowledgeable.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:41:27 PM by Birddog6 »

flintman-tx

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 12:52:19 AM »
I have had no experience with Rice, but the others have been accurate for me. Any first rate barrel that I have had has worked well for me.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 01:57:03 AM »
  If it will work with your stock, go with Rice. They make both square and radial rifling. They are hard to beat.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 03:18:33 PM »
My experience with barrels goes a ways back.  But most barrels will outshoot the shooter when put into a off hand utility rifle like a slim Tennessee.  I had won matches with the old Numrich barrrels which were a far cry in quality of any mentioned here.  The top barrels which should also include Getz, have a better outside finish and often have the bore lapped for consistancy. Also the issue of runnout used to be a factor which does not seem to hold in todays barrels.  Were I building a chunk gun or buffalo sticks gun the Rice or any hand lapped barrel would be a good consideration.  An offhand Rondy plinker would do very well with a GM.  If you do a lot of shooting in one day the round bottom also may have an advantage in fouling.  At this time GM barrels are hard to come by and seem to be available more in the off configurations.  I ordered one listed at a good price but was referred to a Colerain as the GM was only available in a C weight 40.  Colerain has started to offer straight barrels in popular sizes like the 13/16 45.  GM may not be supplying for another year according to one scuttlebutt.  Availablitliy and desire for building the rifle while you are still capable of holding it up are also considerations.  I ordered mine also because prices have been escalating in addition.

DP

erdillonjr

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 03:32:41 PM »
I only use Getz barrels in my guns. As far as I am concerned they are the best money can buy. Ed

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
I used to use Getz barrels exclusively. I haven't been able to get one of those in years so I use Colerain, They seem to be good barrels and I've had no problems with them. I have customers sending me rice barrels and they seem to be good also. Bob Hoyt is making all of my "one off" custom stuff these days. They are all good.
 How do you get all of those Getz barrels Ed?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Birddog6

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »
I have always liked Getz barrels, but it has always been a problem getting them. Nothing has changed in that part, as far as I know.  They dang sure shoot good, that is a well known fact. The last 5 Colerains I received had to be rebreeched because of gaps at the breechface/bore. The 3 Getz I bought at CLA show 2009 have to be rebreeched, as they have gaps at the breechface. I won't have that.
But it cost more to ship them back than a new breechplug cost, so I will rebreech them. Not something I like to do, especially when it is supposed to have been done & done correctly, but can't use them with gaps there.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 04:05:51 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
Bean, as you can see from the answers, people have different likes, and dislikes, and they are all good barrels.  But since you are a newbie, and have not had a chance to fit a breech plug yet, I would choose a Rice barrel, for the simple fact that it comes properly breeched, and that removes one headache from the get go.  I would try Troy Roope at Stonewall Creek, as he has both the barrels, and southern precarves in stock.  His number is 434-993-3557.  If you get the components seperately, talk to Dick Greensides, at Pecatonica, He can set you up as well, as he one of the suppliers for Track, and MBS, but he will give you what you need.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline C. ALTLAND

• Chris Altland - York County Firelocks - Authentic 18th Century Flintlock Pistol Parts Sets & Pistol Restoration Parts
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I use Getz barrels exclusively. The quality and attention to detail is excellent. Delivery times have also been reasonable.
Recently purchased a barrel from another well known maker and it had gaps at the breech, the details/wedding bands were not as requested and over all finish was poor. Had to completely remachine the barrel myself.
Guess all the barrel makers have their bad days just like we do.  :D
YORK COUNTY FIRELOCKS  PH# 717-755-3682 
http://www.firelockpistols.com/

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »
I think GM barrels will shoot with the best(ie: more expensive) - Too, the GM barrels are made of tougher steel than the others and are in need of draw-filing before finishing.  They are also less than 50% of the cost.

Shot off bags, the current .45 GM barrel I have will shoot group for group with my .40 cal Goodioen barrel which is a hand-lapped 'match-grade' barrel, yet the GM cost some $140.00 less. I'm talking best groups from each in the 3/8" to 1/2" range for 5 shots @ 50 yards. So far, the .45 GM has shot more of these tiny one-small-hole groups - with it's cheap GM barrel.  After using both for a few years and unbreeching them for comparrison, you cannot tell them apart inside - both looking identical as to shine and smoothness - cannot look at a 60 watt bulb through either- too bright. Oh yeah - I also use cold water for cleaning.

With the loads most guys use today, and the amount of load development done by them, I don't think brand name will show any difference at all, not one iota of better nor worse, on paper, which means offhand as well.

I appreciate the Rice and Getz barrel's rounded grooves without corners that Taylor has used, in their seemingly slightly easier loading as we never wipe during a day's shooting. We both shoot tight combinations that require a short starter - but don't get fouling buildup in either style of rifling, so the difference is very little - perhaps a 'perception' rather than on easily observed trait.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
..... so the difference is very little - perhaps a 'perception' rather than on easily observed trait.

People will pay a lot more for perceived value. Thanks for your input, Daryl. And  Merry Christmas to you. and what are you doing on the ALR on Christmas morning?   ;D

All the best you all of you!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 06:36:26 PM »
Morning Tom ..... I see you are here as well.   ;D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

flintman-tx

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
Ain't we all!!!  Also agree with the Green Mt. being a fine barrel. I have had some real tack-drivers from them.

Birddog6

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
Speaking of Green Mountain...... The last two rifles I built  had Green Mountain barrels.  One a .40 cal A x 44"  Shoots  cloverleaf 3 shot groups at 25 & 50 yards first time out, no load work. Maybe a fluke ? 2nd one just finished, B50 x 38" in 50 cal. Same thing. Shot first group at 25 yards , 2 in one hole & the second one barely off 1/8". Went out to 50 yards, 3 shots all touching. No load work... just luck I thought ? Shot 3 groups almost identical....  The Green mountain barrels will shoot, no doubt about it.  Have used several other Green Mountain barrels, all of them have been tack drivers...... ;)

I recommended the Rice to him because it has the breech plug fitted & fitted perfectly, and I thought since it is his first build he should have a barrel already breeched & etc.   He will have plenty to deal with on the build & learning to breech one right now is not necessary right now.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 08:56:15 PM »
Birddog, that is very considerate to suggest the barrels that needs the least amount of fitting and work.

Fitting or re-fitting a breech was a major headache when I was first starting, with little guidance other than the Dixie catalog. Now I have the forum and a lathe, so life is good.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of those listed, or several others that were mentioned. I could be wrong, but I don't think that there are any bad barrel manufactures left in the traditional builders supply chain. They do have differences though. Rice and Colerain are usually breeched. GM barrels are harder steel than the other two, but are well finished inside and out; Colerain requires draw filing to remove the machining marks on the flats, but are much softer so it is no big deal, and the Rice barrels generally cost a little more, but are well finished on the outside and are exceptional in the bore. You pretty much pays your money and takes your choice.

Kindig coined the phrase of "The Golden Age of the Kentucky Rifle", but I think we may be in "The Golden Age" right now if the politicians will stay out of it.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 02:09:17 AM »
Waiting for daughter #2 to wake up :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D

erdillonjr

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »
Mike, I have been buying them whenever I can for years now. It helps if you buy them buy them by the dozen. Just reducing my stock pile. Ed

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »
Mike, I have been buying them whenever I can for years now. It helps if you buy them buy them by the dozen. Just reducing my stock pile. Ed
When Getz stopped shipping me barrels I had at least 18 on order and had to scramble to find other barrels to save my business. I find it somewhat frustrating you can buy them a dozen at a time and sell them to make a profit and I can't even get a return phone call let alone the barrels I have on order from five years ago.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:00:03 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

northmn

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »
Look at the supply of Green Mountain barrels again.  If its popular they are out.  Most of the barrels in stock are 36 inch or swamped.  Prices went up also.  Whether they are less expensive may be OK, but I bought a barrel because I felt they are not getting any cheaper.  I will have to now check on the breech plug fit of the Colerain when I get it as that was one reason I was willing to pay a little more.  Appreciate the heads up on that issue. Nuisance isn't it.  I also like to get the parts for a build while I am still young enough to be able to see the sights and hold the thing up for a couple of years.

DP

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »
Green Mountain may be doing contract work for the military. Since they have the capability.
 I heard something to this effect sometime back. Just rumor though.
I know Badger was doing a lot of 50 BMG barrels a couple of years ago.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine