Author Topic: Roller Lock  (Read 717 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Roller Lock
« on: May 05, 2024, 02:48:43 AM »
Happy to find this little lock today. I’ve had a Bill Large barrel for a spell now and wanted a Bob Roller lock to pair up with it. Maybe Bob will chime in?
Has a 76 under Roller. Is that the manufacture date? Also has a 48 stamped on back of plate. Did you make 47 of those before this one Bob?

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Roller Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 04:21:57 PM »
You have a Ketland and now everyone knows what they look like.Good performers.The number 76 IS the year I made it but no idea as to what month. The number 48 means the screws are 4x48.They bear a resemblance to a Harper's Ferry military lock and I used one on a 58 caliber very plain full stock about 20 years ago.i never did find out the source of these locks as far as moulds to make them is concerned.
I think Log Cabin Shop in Lodi,Ohio now owns the moulds as part of the purchase of Jerry Devaudreuil's estate.IF I were going to make a
flintlock hunting rifle the reenforced "cock" is a good idea and I never saw a broken one.Thanks for posting this.
Bob Rpller

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 04:39:46 PM »
Thanks Bob. Hope you and Mrs. are doing well.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 06:25:36 PM »
Thanks Bob. Hope you and Mrs. are doing well.

Dave,
We are sorta,kinda OK.Brenda can't get a knee replacement because she is on a blood thinner and walking any distance
or driving is not happening.Lower back stenosis is my "fly in the ointment" and I am now 88.No shop work planned but
I enjoy NOT working,a condition that I never thought would happen.Who had that Ketland lock?A now deceased friend was
in the early 1950's,the only flint lock shooter in this area and the lock on his rifle was identical to this one and plainly marked
"Ketland"It had the old "slip'n'slide mechanism and I copied it in the first group of these locks I made but then started the linked
mechanisms,probably in the early 1970's....maybe.The source for the moulds to make this lock is not known but they are obviously
good ones.Stop by if you want to whenever you're in Huntington and tell me about the old Ford's you're restoring.You DO know
the "Model T"was the only car ever made that started at the bottom and went down from there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 10:22:24 PM »
I will give you a call when I’m in the area. I ran into this fellow while working in the blacksmith shop at Heritage Farm yesterday. Garland…….., I’ve forgotten the last name already. He mentioned having it and I asked if it was for sale. Would be a good style for southern mountain rifle….have to come up with a plan now for a rifle build. I still have a set of good triggers that should work with it!
Moving very slowly on 1930 AA. Working on fenders and body work is not my favorite. Once I get the second fender done should move a little faster. Everything mechanical has been completely rebuilt, except I found an original Warford 3 speed overdrive/underdrive unit and have all new bearings for it. Had to have new hardened counter shaft made, and that was expensive. Can’t wait to get it on the road and start backing traffic up!
Busy time of year for bee keepers too.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA