Author Topic: Kibler build rear installation sight problem  (Read 965 times)

Offline Asahi1234

• Starting Member
Kibler build rear installation sight problem
« on: May 06, 2024, 05:03:22 AM »
I over corrected the fit of the rear sight on my Kibler Woodsrunner. I filed to much on the barrel but the rear of the  sight pushes thru on the barrel.  The rear sight is not tight but push on thru but no movement on the sight. Could I
 solder the rear sight or should I just order a new one? Thanks for your help

Online smylee grouch

Re: Kibler build rear installation sight problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 05:07:21 AM »
You can stretch the base of the sight for one fix if it is not too much off .

Offline Hawg

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 10:05:40 AM »
Why did you file the barrel?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 12:38:10 PM »
A new sight will be the same size so won’t fix the issue. If you solder it, it can’t be adjusted.

Possible remedies in rough order of degree of difficulty:

Tin the bottom of the sight only using a soldering iron. Wipe off all excess. It might be tight enough now.

Peen down the edges of the dovetail with the sight in place. Use a cleaned up cold chisel that’s not overly sharp but has a straight and not gouged up edge. Stone or grind the edge. Don’t want to scar everything up.

With a center punch, lightly punch a series of dots in the dovetail on the barrel. A graver works too but you may not have one. Very light. The little crater edges are raised.

Stretching the sight by peening is a good fix but is easy to cob up, and needs skill and not for a first timer. I don’t know your experience.

Get the sight extended by tig welding and clean it up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 06:19:23 PM »
Rich always has great advice! All his methods listed will work.
Tom C.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 07:10:22 PM »
Another alternative is a new sight with wider base that needs to be trimmed to fit.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/880/1
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 08:03:44 PM »
Or, put a piece of paper or business card under the sight.   Trim it after with a razor blade.  Make the edge of the paper black with Sharpie. 

Yeah, easy on the the filing.  The Kibler sights are made looser that I make them.  I just touch the inside corners with a safe side file to prevent galling  the sight in. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 08:07:43 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline J.D.

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 08:55:56 PM »
<<With a center punch, lightly punch a series of dots in the dovetail on the barrel. A graver works too but you may not have one. Very light. The little crater edges are raised. >>

Conversely, the same can be done with the bottom of the sight base.

Speaking with the voice of experience. A bit of advice for new kit builders, Never file the big piece. Small pieces can easily be replaced or modified to fit more easily than the big piece. Once the big piece is made out of spec, the small pieces won't fit at all, without more, needless, work or complete replacement.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 09:43:38 PM »
J.D. has excellent advice. If I'm having an issue with two parts not doing what I want, I will always attempt to "fix" the cheaper part.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 10:24:39 PM »
  Half inch bar stock or three quarter an make a new sight to your liking.
Will give the gun your own personal touch...

Offline Hawg

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 12:10:07 AM »
I had to file the sight that came with my kit to get it to fit but the rifle shot low. I ordered a higher sight from Kibler and it fit without filing. It didn't fit as tight as I would have liked but it's tight enough it won't move without tapping. When it comes to filing always file the cheapest part. If I had filed the dovetail the new sight would have fallen through. That dovetail IIRC is 3/4 of an inch long. It might be hard to find another brand of sight that could be made to fit.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 03:00:47 AM »
I just finished stretching one by light peening of the sight base.  It was too loose before. Once sighted in I will mark that position with a line on the sight base and barrel ( cut into metal)  and I will peen the barrel  with couple punch marks to help keep it firm but still adjustable with light tapping if needed. 

Offline kutter

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 03:41:04 AM »
With soft solder, tin the bottom of the sight.
Then place the sight on to a piece of cleaned and fluxed steel shim stock a few .000 thick.

Place the entire assembly on to a flat metal surface and lightly clamp it down to ensure the shim stock and the bottom
of the sight are in full contact.

If the shim stock is slightly oversize from the sight base, all the better. It can be trimmed down later.

Now heat the assembly from the bottom till the solder flows. A little tightening of the clamp can be done at this point to ensure the joint is flat.

Let it cool on it's own.

Unclamp and trim the excess shim stock around the base and wash/& rinse off any soldering flux.

Refit the now slightly oversize sight dovetail  to the bbl .
It shouldn't take much...

Offline J.D.

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 07:53:58 AM »
  Half inch bar stock or three quarter an make a new sight to your liking.
Will give the gun your own personal touch...

Making a new sight isn't all that hard, nor does it have to be precise. It only takes a little time and a hack saw and file. There is a good tutorial on making sights in the tutorial section.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28998.0