Author Topic: Can anyone ID this lock ?  (Read 538 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Can anyone ID this lock ?
« on: May 06, 2024, 08:59:02 AM »
Several years ago now I purchased this lock from Jerry Huddleston.  He didn't know where he got it and it has absolutely no ID marks on it at all.  It is beautifully made and I will either use it on a small rifle or a small pistol.....but I would really like to find a second one of these locks but don't even know where to start looking.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Can anyone ID this lock ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 02:12:55 PM »
No idea about the maker but obviously someone oriented to craftsmanship.What are the dimensions?
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 03:12:28 PM »
I'd almost suspect Jerry made it up out of a combination of commercial parts and some handmade parts (the sliding safety in particular).  I sure could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:29:51 AM »
Chris Hirsch has a similar kit.
http://www.texasguntrade.com/englishsafety.htm
Psalms 144

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 07:49:16 AM »
Bob  - The lock is about 4 1/2 inches long....fairly small.

Eric  -  No, Jerry didn't make the lock.  He thought is was the same as the ones Uberti used on the George Washington cased pistol sets they sold back in 1976, but it was not the same...but he couldn't remember where he got it...;)

Clark  -  Yes, Chris' kit is similar....but not a match.

The lock has the lock bolt hole already in place and they appear to be 8-40 thread.  Looks like a commercially made lock....but well made and well polished.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780