Author Topic: 2009 PA FLINTLOCK SEASON  (Read 15867 times)

IRONSIGHT

2009 PA FLINTLOCK SEASON
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:50:45 AM »
Rain and fog. I didn't even bother going out today. Just checking to see if anyone did  ,and how you made out. Weather the rest of the week supposed to be deceit.

Offline Don Getz

Re: 2009 PA FLINTLOCK SEASON
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 05:44:31 AM »
Iron......yep, sure not a good flintlock day.    Kinda glad I gave it up.  Had a call from my nephew today, he was telling me
about his son who is finally going to use that Lehigh County rifle I built many years ago, and he sounded like it would be
fun to go with him.    So, tomorrow I'm going down to his place (near Carlisle) and take my Dave Dodds 54 cal. Berks Co.
gun, bag and everything he needs to shoot it, that's better than just having it hang on the wall.  They have access to a
300 acre farm with some real nice buck on it.....hope he can connect on one..............Don

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »
Don,
Any time you have a rifle that you built just hanging around, and need the dust shot out of it give me a call. HA-HA

billd

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 06:39:12 AM »
Too much rain. I slept in and worked on my fowler.
20 years ago I would have been out all day. Getting old also means getting more smarts.  Monday looks much better.
Bill

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:55:52 AM »
You mean to tell me that I'm supposed to get smarter with age? Trust me gray hair doesn't always mean wisdom, or i would be in the genius category.

billd

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:05:39 AM »
I'm past grey, mine's white.
Bill

Offline l.cutler

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »
Yeah, I got out, hunkered down from the rain in my ground blind.   Got a nice doe with my rifle about 1:00 PM.  I could see it after it went down, while I waited for it to expire another just stood there broadside 50 yards out!  I have another tag but I want to get one with my Leonard Day Dutch smoothbore, so decided to let it go for another day.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:58:49 PM by l.cutler »

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »
Cutler,
Congrats on the doe. If you get a chance maybe you can post a pic for us. I really need to invest in a ground blind.

Bob Mac

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
I decided to stay dry yesterday. Caught up on "honey do" list instead. Have off from work until Jan 4 so I have time to get out. Must be getting old, sitting out in the rain, trying to keep a flintlock dry is not as much fun as it used to be.
Bob

C. Cash

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 03:05:49 AM »
I am going to try and go out here Monday in the AM(Centre County).  I'll be toting my Early Lancaster in 54 Cal.  Good luck to you fellas!

ramserl

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
Wife made me come down to PA for Christmas.  So I thought I would go hunting!
opening day a little soggy.  Not knowing were to go? Hunting on state game lands may be kinda hard going.  But I am hunting in the woods with my longrifle made from my grubby little hands.  Hope Monday is better.

Good Hunting

Offline BJH

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:01:56 AM »
Best of luck to you Chris. I will be up a tree Monday morning myself. Good Lord willing there will be vennison in both our freezers till the season ends.  BJH
BJH

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
Here it is monday morning, I'm sitting in this nice warm room, playing on this electronic thing.     It's about 30 degrees and
the wind is blowing, I feel for you guys out there wiping those cold tears from your eyes, in the hopes that you will see this giant buck stride by, well, I hope it does.  I've done it, but, honestly I don't really miss it that much......I do miss the
venison tho.................Don

Offline bigbat

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 05:28:16 PM »
Good Morning Don,

Its 6 below this morning, I just looked out the window and the deer are heading down to the river bottom for the day.  I am glad our freezers are full. 

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:22 AM »
Bigbat.....how far do you live from Cody?   John and I have a good friend who is planning to move out that way, as soon
as he can sell his house.   He owns a piece of ground and I think has made some improvements on it in preparation to
building on it.   Will find out exactly where it is.....he's a real gun nut, has a Mark Silver rifle, and others....Don

Offline bigbat

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
Don,  we live 30 miles east of Cody. 5 miles south of Powell. Lots of good hunting and shooting sports if one is interested in that stuff.  Cathy and I ride allot in  the summer and hunt allot in the fall.

C. Cash

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »
Best of luck to you Chris. I will be up a tree Monday morning myself. Good Lord willing there will be vennison in both our freezers till the season ends.  BJH

Thank you B.J.  I sure hope you got your Deer.  I wimped out this AM with the snow and wind, and will try for Thursday.  Great  to hear from you.  That rifle you made shoots like a house on fire.  After all the talk about roughing in the sites, here was the first shot with it at 50 yards.  Never even had to touch the sites.  That's pretty much where it shoots, depending on how twitchy the operator is, every time. Should work well, if I can get on a deer ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:27:42 AM by C. Cash »

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »
Monday's report bitter cold, windy, no meat. I wish I had a dollar for every time I ask myself why am I doing this. All well tomorrows another day.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 03:35:45 AM »
I plan on going out tomorrow, and Saturday. I have been off since the 23rd, but this is my first oportunity to get out. calling for snow tomorrow...hopeing for a good day.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
WOW did that snow ever help. My father and I went to the farm yesterday for an after noon hunt. I was able to shoot a small button buck that was in herd of ten. The herd stopped in the buck laural 120 steps from where I was sitting . He was the only one that stopped in a opening. After I shot I seen the herd turn, an go back up the ridge the way they had come from.  When I went to check where he had stood I found no blood or hair. I thought I had missed. Following their trail for a short distance I found a little blood. He had went 100 yards an fell under a laural bush. The .490 round ball entered between two ribs, through both lungs , and exited between two ribs. I know I didn't hit bone but I thought there would be more blood. If it wouldn't have been for the snow I wouldn't have never found him. Any thoughts.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Here it is, the first day of the new year.    Friday, and we've had about 1/2" of fresh snow, thermometer says about 36,
should be a great day to be out in the woods.   It's been 13 years since I retired, enjoyed every minute of it....built about
60 guns during that period.   Now, if I could just get this @!*% bursitis calmed down, I'd be working on my next one.   Right now we're kind of getting ready for the February show at Lewisburg, hope to see you all there........Don

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 02:47:11 AM »
IRONSIGHT

I had a similar experience the first Saturday of the regular season. I was carrying my flintlock and when a big doe presented a good shot, I decided to open muzzleloader season early.   It was a good hit, but a little high, very little blood. She only went 100 yds, but had it not been snowing, it would have been tough to follow.

Like you, I was using a 50cal.  While it's more than adequate,  I have read , that many fellows choose a bigger bore, for a better blood trail.  That might be a good excuse for me to buy another rifle!
Roger Fleisher

C. Cash

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:29 AM »
Alas,  the weather opened up a little and I could take it no more.  Me and my boy went out about noon with the flinter.  We got too far back on the roads and realized I was in big trouble with the ice.  It looked like it was decent snow to creep over but it was actually smooth ice with a spit of snow on top.   I stopped at the top of a hill in Rothrock state forest and I knew my goose was cooked.  Got my boy out of the car and in the trees, before sliding backwards about 40 yards with no control at all....thought of bailing out but glad I stayed in.   It was a miracle that I got the car stopped(thank you Lord), and the bottom of that hill was a LOOONNG way down(about 200 more yards or worse, off the road and down the embankment.)  It  could have been alot worse, but had to get a tow truck to come with chains and get us out, 3.5 hours after sliding down the road.  It was so embarrasing I could have just about crawled under a rock and died right there.   I'm sure I'm the "Moron of the Week" at the tow truck company.  Long story short, the Lord looks after small children and fools, and I'm just glad to be home.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:28:43 PM by C. Cash »

Offline BJH

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
 ;)Hey Chris that's why I usually hunt on a couple of local farms.  It's been a unusually tough season for me. I haven't seen a tail.  Been close enough to smell them in the dark from my tree stand, but come legal shootin hours ??? I  think they all crawled down ground hog holes :-\
BJH

C. Cash

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »
;)Hey Chris that's why I usually hunt on a couple of local farms.  It's been a unusually tough season for me. I haven't seen a tail.  Been close enough to smell them in the dark from my tree stand, but come legal shootin hours ??? I  think they all crawled down ground hog holes :-\

I need to do something like that B.J., or get a serious vehicle and/or some new chains.  My old home state of Arizona is starting to look better and better about this time as well.  Hmmmmm......8)

I may just go out and walk around Scotia a bit until the artic blast subsides.  Good luck to all of you fellas who haven't scored.  The fat lady hasn't sung yet, at least.