Author Topic: improving Trigger Pull- Woodsrunner  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Clinch River Jack

• Starting Member
Re: improving Trigger Pull- Woodsrunner
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2024, 04:34:50 AM »
Let me start by saying I really enjoy the Kibler woodsrunner I built at Friendship last summer. It's an awesome gun in many ways.  I wasn't fond of the 6lb trigger pull and knowing Tom Caster is an awesome builder/gunsmith at our club I asked him to lighten it, if possible.   The result  is what you have seen and read in his post.  This is no slight against Jim Kibler and his products. Just wanted better trigger geometry for a light pull. It now measures at around 2 lbs which is exactly what I like. ( My next score improved by 50%...maybe partly placebo effect )
JJP

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2024, 05:18:47 AM »
This is my business and a large part of my life.  Do yourself a favor and trust what I have to say.  I would suggest re-reading my previous posts in this thread.

I wish there was an emoji of someone looking down and shaking their head.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 05:26:44 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2024, 05:43:27 AM »
This is all very simple.  Extend the trigger pivot distance as far as possible such that a desired pull can be achieved.  This minimizes trigger travel to release the sear.  A light pull and short trigger travel are desirable.  With a proper lock, you can easily have. 2.5 pound pull with a short trigger travel with a 5/8” pivot distance.  By shortening the distance to 5/16” you are effectively doubling the necessary travel to fire the lock.  Not a good thing.  This is elementary physics.

Why not just have a well set-up lock with a pivot distance of 5/8” or so and get the best of both worlds?  Shortening the the pivot distance is a poor “fix” in my view.

It’s no wonder you see longer pivot distances on original work.  Why these shorter distances became popular confuses me.  Maybe to overcome lock problems…

As mentioned, I would be happy to help anyone with a heavier pull than they prefer to fix things properly.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2024, 04:46:48 PM »
I had one single trigger muzzleloader with too short a pivot position causing a muzzleloader to fire from the half-cock position if pulled hard.  After that I always check any single trigger muzzleloader by squeezing the trigger at half-cock to make sure it won't smear through the half cock notch.

If I'm not mistaken it is a standard safety test on Muskets used in NSSA to make sure the single trigger on the rifle/musket hasn't been tinkered with. Seems I read they put the rifle on half-cock and see if it will hold without firing by holding the musket vertically suspended by the trigger?

Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2024, 05:36:21 PM »
The main thing to remember is do NOT try to fire the lock from the lock from half cocked. ;D ;D
Bob Roller