Author Topic: Chambers kits  (Read 1033 times)

Offline PAhunter

• Starting Member
Chambers kits
« on: May 14, 2024, 11:55:06 PM »
 I'm thinking about building a Jim Chambers Virginia rifle. How hard are his kits to build? I haven't ever built a long rifle.

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Chambers kits
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 12:00:55 AM »
They aren’t too difficult. The good news is that you have a whole bunch of folks here who are happy to give you advice! Go for it!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 01:08:11 AM »
Hi,
They are good kits but they are not snap together.  You will develop gun making skills doing one.  Many folks on this site have built Chambers kits and can help you along the way.  Before starting your kit I urge you to buy and read Chuck Dixon's fine book "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" cover to cover.  It describes how to build one from a rough blank and hand made parts but most of the skills shown will be important for your project.  There are other books but Dixon's is the best step by step instruction out there in my opinion. It is not expensive and readily available.
 https://www.amazon.com/Art-Building-Pennsylvania-Longrifle/dp/B002DVKDH4

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 01:11:06 AM »
 I agree. Thats a great choice. I put one together several years ago and it shoots and handles great in 58 cal.

Offline PAhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 02:31:17 AM »
 I was going to get a Kibler Colonial kit but man.....I really like the Virginia Rifle that Jim Chambers has. I'm going to need a lot of advice when I start building. Just fare warning hahah

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 04:40:22 AM »
  The Kibler you assemble. The Chambers you learn a lot more to teaching you how to build a longrifle.  The gun builders on here will help you. My only advice is have patience.  Lots of patience

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 03:28:19 PM »
While building your kit, every time you get the urge to reach for something that cuts faster like an aggressive rasp or a Dremel, put your tools down, go have a cup of coffee and wait until these feelings pass before you resume working on your kit.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 03:51:19 PM »
Good advice. Send your Dremmel to a relative in another state before starting the project!!

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 05:18:54 PM »
While building your kit, every time you get the urge to reach for something that cuts faster like an aggressive rasp or a Dremel, put your tools down, go have a cup of coffee and wait until these feelings pass before you resume working on your kit.

Best advice I have heard in a while!
The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 05:29:45 PM »
The only thing, and I repeat, the only thing I use a dremel for is inletting some of the internal lock parts and even then I hold it with 2 hands.  I originally thought it would have broader uses in gun building but found out otherwise.
Remember Paoli!

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 06:56:54 PM »
I do not have much experience with the kits , but I would suggest you obtain a paperback copy of “ Recreating the American Longrifle”  by Wm. Buchele.   I am sure your kit will go together easily, but the book will give you much insight into the why and how of Longrifle construction, and may be of great help if you have any questions on longrifle   construction.   ( disclaimer …..I have no interest in selling any books of any sort….im just passing on the benefit of my experience in making many simple mistakes for the past 50 years .)
Mike Mullins

Offline Tenmile

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 07:04:09 PM »
Routers and Dremels are the pit bulls of woodworking.
Lynn

Offline Jakob

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 08:21:45 PM »

This has saved me many times...sometimes it meant putting the project down for a few weeks, while I pondered and studied.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2024, 11:41:49 PM »
Hard to go wrong with any of their products.  Put that together with the many sources out there ( Jim Turpin has a video that walks you through a Chambers Kit) and these guys in here and every penny will be well spent.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 12:35:19 AM »
The only thing I use a Dremel for is by using their small sanding attachment to "dish out" the front of the rear sight.

Do that via with the sight in a vice....not on the rifle. But that's it. It serves no other useful purpose for gun building.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 01:11:09 AM »
Hi,
The Dremel is a great tool for hogging out wood for the tumbler, bridle, and sear from the lock mortise, routing mortises for trigger guard lugs, routing the trigger slot in the wood, cleaning up brass parts, polishing metal, accurately marking holes in metal to be drilled, and many other small tasks.  To say it should never be used when gun making is rubbish.  Like any tool, you simply have to know how and when to use it. 

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 02:38:05 PM »

While fine chisels are not ideal for "hogging" , they can make a lock mortise look like a work of art with a little patience when all is said and done. It's all about what one wants. If your desire is to just have a "gun" that you have no sweat equity in, the market abounds with choices. If the destination is a time thing, then by all means use band saws, dremels, routers and so forth to get your gun off the bench. However, if the destination is to build an 18th century longrifle in the old ways, you can do that to.

The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 04:24:57 PM »
I give the Dremel advice to beginners having seen what they can mess up with them like my nephew's attempt at inletting a Hawken patch box.

I straightened out his mess with a lot of glued in wood and Dremel but I am a very experienced power duck decoy carver from years ago and agree with Smart Dog, you have to know how to use the tool and make the right bit choice, most beginners don't have clue.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 04:31:51 PM by Eric Krewson »