Author Topic: Fowler forend carving  (Read 4653 times)

billd

Fowler forend carving
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
I'm looking for some pictures of English style carving and moldings for the forend of my fowler. I have loads of pics from the lock molding back, but none forward.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Fowler forend carving
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »
Hi Biil,
In most cases that I have seen, there was no carving on the forearm or along the barrel channel.  The only slight decorative feature was a slight schnable-like swelling at the muzzle.  Of course there are always exceptions and during the first half of the 18th century some makers were more extravagent, particularly with wire inlay.  However, extensive carving seems to be rare.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »
Look at Tom Grinslades book of American Fowlers....He has a section on British Style fowlers that show considerable carving.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »
Look at Tom Grinslades book of American Fowlers....He has a section on British Style fowlers that show considerable carving.
That's a good book on the fowler

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
Bill,
I am always trying to learn and still consider myself a student but after studying these things quite a bit for a few years, the following is what I have found to be common.
If you intend to make an American piece from the north, the Grinslade book is the best out there.
If you are making an English gun, I would not use any carving on the fore end at all unless you are doing a late 17th to very early 18th century piece. Even at that, all did not have it in that frame and pistols seemed to carry the trait more than fowling pieces. The English carving on fore stock areas I have seen does not look like any of the "British Style" pieces in Grinslade's.
If an English piece of 1735 manufacture forward is intended, no carving should be used to best represent the period.
The dog knot was more predominant in the early part of the 18th century but co-existed with those that did not have that feature.

I have a few pictures of early 18th guns with carving on the fore stocks on my computer.  I can send them to you if you shoot me an email. Most are of the side profile though.

James
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:12:18 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:28:36 AM »
Here are a couple foreends from guns at the CW gunsmith shop.  I don't have notes but my recollection is the pictures of the silver mounted fowler were of a small-scale recreation of a youth-sized gun built for George Washington's nephwe or some such.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
I did notice the "swelling" around the entry thimble on that very nice original.  I ahve heard that the swelling was common even if not carved.

DP

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
The top CW gun is not english.  The second guns silver spider sight base isn't remotely english. The reproduction gun is based on fantasy.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Leatherbelly

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:28 AM »
   Is CW Charlie Wallingford?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
   Is CW Charlie Wallingford?
In this case it stands for Colonial Williamsburg.  If I am not mistaken that looks like George Suiter holding the fowler.
DMR