Author Topic: Latest TN Rifle Build  (Read 999 times)

Offline rsells

Latest TN Rifle Build
« on: May 17, 2024, 01:38:53 AM »
I thought some of our TN rifle guys might enjoy looking at the last rifle I built that was inspired by an original Lawing rifle.  The original rifle had a 7/8 across the flats .40 cal. barrel, but I used a 7/8 across the flats .50 cal. barrel to decrease weight.  The hardware is hand forged, and I used a piece of Freddy Harrison maple for the stock.
                                                          Roger Sells

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 01:50:11 AM by rsells »

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Latest TN Rifle Build
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 02:19:34 AM »
Nice!  Looks like the wood came from Tennessee too

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 03:30:04 AM »
I love your architecture on this gun!  Nice job, and beautiful wood.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 03:54:32 AM »
Oh my- that’s wonderful!!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 10:30:52 AM »
Very nice work ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 02:29:31 PM »
Great wood!  Beautiful work on the muzzle end!!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 03:46:05 PM »
Nice clean lines and good inletting.  Love it!  And having done a couple poured nosecaps myself, I can appreciate yours.  Very nice!  I may offend some here but to me, there is nothing more attractive than a well built southern rifle with nice architecture.  Of course, it's just my opinion😉
Did you forge the gaurd?
Remember Paoli!

Offline rsells

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 05:34:18 PM »
Scottmc,
I made the butt plate, side plate, toe plate, trigger guard, and ramrod pipes on the rifle as close as I could to match the original William Lawing rifle.
                                                           Roger

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 05:38:15 PM »
Beautiful rifle, but we have come to expect that from you.
David

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 01:07:50 AM »
Very nice....

Would it be fair game to ask how you stained and finished that great piece of maple?

Thanks....

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 07:50:56 AM »
Goodtime27,
When I have the stock prepared to the point of staining, I use Febing's leather dye.  I use a small bottle of Febing's dark brown as the base color to stain the stock.  I pour the top portion of the dark brown down to the level of the top of the label on the bottle, add enough of their black dye to fill the bottle up to the original level in the dark brown bottle, and shake the combo up to mix it well.  I use one of their swabs to stain the stock.  While the modified stain combo dries, I use a small portion of the black tar like substance used to seal around vents that come through roof vents mixed with kerosene to form a dark black liquid.  When the leather die combo is dry, I swab the mixture of tar and kerosene on top of the dried leather die combo.  I let the stock dry overnight.  I then take fine sandpaper and steel wool to bring the very dark nasty color stock back to the color I am looking for.  I seal the stock using several hand rubbed coats of Tung Oil until it has a satin finish and is sealed.  I  finish up the finish by hand rubbing Linseed oil and Johnson paste wax until I get a satin finish.  I alternate the application of Linseed oil and paste wax until I get a smooth satin finish.  The process is work intensive, but it results in slick antique look that I am looking for.  An old friend of mine taught me how to finish stocks this way after he heard me complain about my stain changing colors with time.  I tried the process and have never turned back.  Try it on a piece of scrap to see how it looks. It is work intensive and time consuming, but I like the look and feel of the finished stock.
                                                            Roger

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 02:58:44 PM »
Roger

Thanks for your detailed note describing your stock finishing process.   You surely got some great results on this rifle.   It’s good to hear that the process has stood the test of time, especially in regard to color fastness.    Bruce

Offline Jimclassjr

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2024, 07:05:19 PM »
Roger what a beautiful rifle , I keep coming back to look at it ! Well done sir.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2024, 08:33:23 PM »
Well done, Roger.
Love those Southern guns
The girls, too.
Best regards.
Dave F

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2024, 09:15:06 AM »
Fantastic workmanship, Roger!  I like that rifle.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing